Which prayers and how many should a devout Catholic pray each day?

I’m trying to make sure I spend time in prayer each day. It’s hard to know when to pray what prayers (i.e. Liturgy of the Hours, the Rosary, meditation) and how much time should be spend in prayer. I recently read that St. Francis de Sales recommended an hour a day in meditation for lay people. Is it okay to just be, or read a little for fun, or spend time with my family if I haven’t prayed this much? Does this constant feeling of not having prayed enough mean I should devout large amounts of time to prayer?

Hi,

Giving attention to your family is part of your spirituality as a married person. The number of prayers isn’t as important as the daily relationship you have with your Savior. I would suggest that you spend at least ten to to fifteen minutes daily looking at a crucifix and thanking Him for each of His wounds. If you aren’t able to pray in any other way, this one is a must. Certainly I would suggest praying the Our Father and the Hail Mary each morning and evening. Also end the day with an act of contrition. If you have time for more, that is fine. But always spend time giving thanks to Him in your own words for His passion. You were created to give thanks for that personal divine act of love for you.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.