Which Protestant church is right?

My question is for Lutherans but perhaps any other protestant will answer this question for me. I was told by a Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran that they hold to Luthers teachings/beliefs most closely. The Missouri synod would be a bit less conservative and lastly the ELCA being the least conservative. Now, how can Luther’s teachings be interpreted to be more or less conservative and who decides this? And where do the other protestant churchs fall in with regards to holding the full truth or closest to Luther’s teaching? Thank you for your replies.

Some of Luther’s teachings are non-repeatable! :stuck_out_tongue:

I grew up in the Missouri Synod, so I admit I’m biased. Among protestants, Lutherans would come the closest to Catholicism, Anglicans notwithstanding. There is a solid doctrinal standard in the Book of Concord, even if Luther did depart from the historic faith on a number of points.

The Missouri Synod has preserved more of the historic Lutheran faith, although even here, things have changed since Luther’s time. For example, he had a high regard for Mary, even going so far as to affirm her perpetual virginity, and insisted on private confession. Most Lutherans today would be surprised to hear this.

Sadly, more and more LCMS churches are discarding the historic liturgy and aping non-denominational McWorship.

How can one be still one when it is 30,000+? Have the Lutherans discarded John 17 and Ephesians 1?

CDL

Wouldn’t it make more sense to post this on a Lutheran forum?

groupsrv.com/religion/forum-14.html

lutheran-talk.com/

If they followed Luther more closely, they would be a lot more Catholic, because he was a Catholic priest first. He also prayed his rosary.

originally posted by guanophore

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Wouldn’t it make more sense to post this on a Lutheran forum?

We do not have a lutheran subform here so it has been asked in the correct forum for this website.

I think it’s a good question but, having spent most of my life as a lutheran, I will have to say that lutheranism is not correct and that, as far as I was able to determine in my life long search for truth, NO protestant religion is correct.
Luther was a disgruntled man who torn himself from The Holy Catholic Chuch and led many astray.

Thank God I AM now Catholic and I’ve never looked back.[/FONT]

Can someone invite more Lutherans to join us? We need more input.

None of them.

I’m surprised it took 9 posts before somebody said this. :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by Joseph_Mary
None of them.

Now that the point has been settled, shall the thread be closed?

Generally speaking, WELS is considered to be more conservative than LCMS which is more conservative than ELCA. Whether this implies that one of these Churches demonstrates a “more faithful” adherence to Luther’s teachings, or is simply a reflection of how much the Church reflects “modern” teachings, I don’t know.

Remember that there were at least three ***main ***threads of Protestant teaching coming out of the Reformation…Luther, Calvin and Zwingli. Then there is the case of the Anglican Church. So, even from the beginning, not every Protestant was a follower of Luther. That is even more the case today. From what I’ve seen on these forums, this is a point that Catholics seem to misunderstand. Many think that the “be all and end all” of Protestantism is Luther when, in actuality, most Protestants outside of the Lutheran Churches don’t spend much time thinking about him.

If you listened to the conventional wisdom of Catholics on these forums it seems to follow one of two contradictory paths: (1) there are 33,000 different Protestant Churches or (2) Protestantism consists of the Lutheran Churches. Neither belief is accurate.

originally posted by rr1213
If you listened to the conventional wisdom of Catholics on these forums it seems to follow one of two contradictory paths: (1) there are 33,000 different Protestant Churches or (2) Protestantism consists of the Lutheran Churches. Neither belief is accurate

There is nothing contradictory:
(1) There are THOUSANDS of protestant churches.
(2) All Catholics are perfectly aware that protestantism consists of these afor mentioned THOUSANDS of sects. Martin Luther is zoomed in on frequently because he was an apostate who led untold millions into heresy.

Please do not treat the very well informed posters here as though they are ignorant of history.
It wasn’t until I became Catholic that I really understood history - and that goes for many people here.

There are plenty of very well informed people that post on these forums, Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox and others. And plenty of people who don’t know jack, Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox and others. I stand by my statement.

I skeptical 33,000 denominations since the research I done on this number was weak. I posted a thread, “Where did the 33,000 Protestant denomination come from?” The source online was available but it was very vague.

I don’t think it is 33,000. I think it is about 1,000

[size=]MINE OF COURSE[/size]:stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

You are the only Protestant I know whose post aren’t so hostile compared to other Non-Catholic Christians…:wink:

originally posted by rr1213
I stand by my statement.

I’ll bet you do! :stuck_out_tongue:
Still, that doesn’t make it “the conventional wisdom” around here.

Well, I dont believe in being hostile. It is not how Jesus would behave so I wont engage in such behavior either.:thumbsup:

You know the WWJD–that is how I try to live my life:D

OOPS I almost forgot to say thank you for your kind words.:wink:

I’d be happy to be proven wrong.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.