which Protestant denominations do actually say the rosary?

Many Protestants now say the rosary, recognizing it as a truly biblical form of prayer – after all, the prayers that comprise it come mainly from the Bible.

Could you please tell me which Protestant denominnations do actually say the rosary?

Thanks,

J. Medina

I’ve honestly not heard of one. I think they would have a problem with the prayers to Mary and also the “vain repetition” so I would be suprised if any prayed the rosary.

Some Anglicans/Episcopalians will say the standard rosary. Some of us also use something called the Anglican rosary, in which a variety of different prayers can be used (including those of Marian devotion).

[quote=medina15]Many Protestants now say the rosary, recognizing it as a truly biblical form of prayer – after all, the prayers that comprise it come mainly from the Bible.

Could you please tell me which Protestant denominnations do actually say the rosary?

Thanks,

J. Medina
[/quote]

Not sure of any denominations that “officially” encourage saying The Rosary, but I have a friend who’s Lutheran mother says The Rosary and a Baptist Aunt-In Law who does the same.

Go figure…

Chuck

I’ve know of quite a few Lutherans who enjoy praying the rosary.

[quote=clmowry]Not sure of any denominations that “officially” encourage saying The Rosary, but I have a … Baptist Aunt-In Law who does the same.

Go figure…

Chuck
[/quote]

Say what??

[quote=mark a]Say what??
[/quote]

Don’t ask me to explain it. She goes to a Baptist Church, but loves Mary. Pray’s the Rosary.

I think she’s “catholic” but just doesn’t want to admit it.

Chuck

[quote=medina15]Many Protestants now say the rosary, recognizing it as a truly biblical form of prayer – after all, the prayers that comprise it come mainly from the Bible.
[/quote]

Do you have any sources for this development? I’m not questioning it–it’s interesting and I’d like to read about it. I think most Protestants don’t technically object to the first half–the part taken from the Bible–but the second half. Of course, given that most Protestants don’t believe God allows the Saints in Heaven to hear our prayers, repeating the Biblical salutations to Mary must seem like a pointless endeavor. How unfortunate.

• JP

A Methodist minister named J. Neville Ward wrote a book on meditating the mysteries of the rosary entitled Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy. I think it is out of print, though…

In his book *A Protestant Pastor Looks at Mary, *Lutheran Rev. Charles Dickson encourages praying the Rosary. He also calls Mary “mediatrix” in this source, if my memory serves me correctly.

[quote=RNRobert]A Methodist minister named J. Neville Ward wrote a book on meditating the mysteries of the rosary entitled Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy. I think it is out of print, though…
[/quote]

It can be ordered here: Five for sorrow, ten for joy;: A consideration of the Rosary by J. Neville Ward

Thanks, I just ordered it (good addition to the apologetics shelf) :wink:

Thanks,

J. Medina
[/quote]

Did you get your info from catholic.com/library/Rosary.asp ?

The words you use are very similar if not identical to this Catholic Answers tract. But I grew up Protestant and I don’t agree with the premise. A few Protestants may say the rosary, but the average Evangelical or Fundamentalist Protestant has many objections to it, including:

1. Praying to a saint is worship.
  2. It’s a violation of the First Commandment; the rosary puts Mary before God or makes her at least equal to God. Catholics worship Mary and the rosary is proof.
  3. Saints can’t hear or answer prayers
  4. Prayers to the dead are necromancy
  5. Christians can “go directly to God,” so it’s useless waste of time
  6. There’s no mention of prayer to anyone but God in the Bible, therefore it’s unbiblical.
  7. Catholics must believe that saints are omniscient and omnipotent if they think they can hear and answer prayers
  8. The rosary is “vain repetitions” that the Bible warns against.

And the list goes on.

I’d have to see some evidence. There have been a couple of books written by Protestant ministers on the rosary, but praying to Mary is a “Catholic” thing, and most Protestants wouldn’t be caught dead with a rosary in their hands. That’s my experience.

JMJ Jay

The only Protestant tradition where large numbers of people say the Rosary is Anglicanism, and even there it’s a minority. I know a few Methodists who pray the Rosary (including my wife)–I’d say that generally Methodists are likely to be more open to the idea than most other Protestants, except perhaps Lutherans. Luther, after all, didn’t think that asking the saints for their prayers was intrinsically wrong or something to be attacked, though he thought that if people had a healthy relationship with Christ they would probably stop seeing any point in such prayers. In Christ,

Edwin

I can’t think of any, that encourage the devotion, but I have known a few protestants (Lutherans) who have said it from time to time (most of them are family members who have gotten there Rosaries from me).

hm. learn something new every day.

[quote=Katholikos]Did you get your info from catholic.com/library/Rosary.asp ?

The words you use are very similar if not identical to this Catholic Answers tract. But I grew up Protestant and I don’t agree with the premise. A few Protestants may say the rosary, but the average Evangelical or Fundamentalist Protestant has many objections to it, including:

1. Praying to a saint is worship.
  2. It’s a violation of the First Commandment; the rosary puts Mary before God or makes her at least equal to God. Catholics worship Mary and the rosary is proof.
  3. Saints can’t hear or answer prayers
  4. Prayers to the dead are necromancy
  5. Christians can “go directly to God,” so it’s useless waste of time
  6. There’s no mention of prayer to anyone but God in the Bible, therefore it’s unbiblical.
  7. Catholics must believe that saints are omniscient and omnipotent if they think they can hear and answer prayers
  8. The rosary is “vain repetitions” that the Bible warns against.

And the list goes on.

I’d have to see some evidence. There have been a couple of books written by Protestant ministers on the rosary, but praying to Mary is a “Catholic” thing, and most Protestants wouldn’t be caught dead with a rosary in their hands. That’s my experience.

JMJ Jay
[/quote]

I agree. As a one-time fundamentalist, I remember when a friend invited me to a weekday Mass. When we went in, a group of people were praying the Rosary before the Mass started. I was horrified- vain repetitions, to *Mary *even! I’m surprised I didn’t turn around and leave right then and there!

Some Lutherans pray a kind of Rosary where some of the words are changed. Lutheran’s believe in what is called adiaphoria. These are things that we feel are neither commanded by nor forbidden by God. One can do them if it helps them with their faith but they need not be done.

So it would not be uncommon to see Lutherans doing the Sign of the Cross or something of that nature. I do the Sign of the Cross on a daily basis. To the Lutherans that speak the Rosary, it is not so much praying for them as maybe the equivalent of reciting the Apostle’s Creed.

[quote=Katholikos]Did you get your info from catholic.com/library/Rosary.asp ?

This is an interesting posting in which not a single word said is even vagely true.All the objections are** false** and grossly misleading.You should at least check with the people concerned before you post.
[/quote]

?

This is an interesting posting in which not a single word said is even vagely true.All the objections are** false** and grossly misleading.You should at least check with the people concerned before you post.
Sorry, but I don’t get your point.

Please tell me what’s not true about my post. With whom should I have checked?

I see from your profile that you list yourself as “Xtian.” Any particular church?

JMJ Jay
[/quote]

Actually in defense of Kath… which I do rarely, I have heard every statement that he made come out of the mouths of Fundamentalists.

I am a bit lost also, what is not true? The list that Kath put up on the board was a sample of what he has been confronted by with this group - they were not his own opinion.

I finally opened up the link that you put up Kath…

Saying the Apostles Creed is a prayer to Catholics?

I am going to have to check with my fellow Lutherans but I don’t think we consider it praying.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.