Which Rite of the Catholic Church most commonly resembles the one that the Apostles celebrated?

Hey everyone. I have a question. Which Rite of the Catholic Church most closely resembles the one that the Apostles celebrated. If it is not possible to determine it that far back then please go as far back in time as you can and tell me what that Rite was. If you would, I’d like a short description of the Rite or a link to learn about it as well. :slight_smile:

It seems as though the rites in Christianity developed over some time, Peter appears at least initially to have felt more [sentimentally?] drawn to old Jewish traditions, whereas interestingly Paul ‘the zealot’ who initially persecuted the early Church {who referred to each other as ‘brethren’ - women and children presumably also implicit], felt Jesus’ message as being more strongly requiring a break from many of the old rites and traditions and a reaching out to ‘all nations’ - gentiles referred to by many Jews disparagingly as goyim. I would have liked to be a ‘fly on the wall’ listening in to some of their early debates about this and that, which probably got a little passionate and heated from time to time. The Apostles were indeed inspired by the Holy Spirit, but that did not mean their differing human natures ceased to operate entirely. The Council of Trent was just one of many [there were many much earlier] that sought to put common structure and formality of belief and rite into ‘the Church’.

The Didache mentions Baptism & the Holy Eucharist. It records assembling together on the first day of the week & describes the “rubrics” of our Mass today.

Here is a"Didache" thread.

That thread on the Didache is very confusing. I thought the Didache was essentially a very early catcechism. But, that thread goes from asking who wrote the Didache to talking about a Doxology at the end of the Our Father which really confused me.

The only thing I’ve ever heard referred to as the Doxology is:
Praise God from Whom All blessings flow
Praise Him all creatures here below
Praise Him above ye heavenly hosts
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost!

I’ve never seen that attached to the Our Father. What Doxology are they talking about?

‘For Thine is the kingdom’ etc.

From the Didache: “Yours is the power and the glory for ever”.

A doxology is a short hymn of praise, typically praise of the Trinity. The most common doxology in Catholicism is the Glory Be, here is one version:

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Or similar.

Used in the liturgy of the hours, the rosary, various other prayers and liturgies.

Are you coming from the Anglican tradition? They do refer to that as “The Doxology” and it is sung typically at the presentation of gifts.

This is not a Catholic hymn or prayer, although I have heard it sung occasionally in a Catholic Church as I have a few others of protestant origin. It is a stanza written for a hymn in the 1600s. It is sung to the tune of Old 100, and it morphed into a stand alone doxology in some protestant ecclesial communities.

We sung it weekly in the Episcopal Church I grew up in.

The people’s response after the priests invocation to “deliver us from every evil…” The words “for the kindgom, the power, and the glory are yours, now and forever, Amen” is a doxology.

Another doxology is in the Eucharistic Prayer and begins, “through him, with him, and in him…”

Ragamuffingirl: “That thread on the Didache is very confusing.”

There are “Similar Threads” at the bottom of that link.

Also, don’t forget the link for: Didache.

In addition,try this.

Holly, there was no concept of a Rite in the early Church. Standardization of the verbiage used at the Eucharistic Prayer came much later.

You can read the outline of the Mass in St Justin Martyr’s account of 150 AD in his First Apology. Here is a link to the text:

crossroadsinitiative.com/library_article/532/Sunday_Eucharist_in_the_Early_Church_St._Justin_Martyr.html

Well, St. Andrew probably celebrated the Byzantine Rite, St. Thomas probably celebrated an East Syrian rite, St. Mark probably celebrated the Coptic Rite, St. Peter probably celebrated the Roman Rite. I could go on and on.

I would say the Coptic Rite more closely resembles the Liturgy St. Mark celebrated. The Coptic Rite has pretty much remained the same since Day One.

No rite has pretty much remained the same from Day One. The Coptic Church (Catholic and Orthodox) celebrate (among other liturgies) the Divine Liturgy of St. Cyril. This is basically the Divine Liturgy celebrated by St. Mark, but it is named after St. Cyril, Pope of Alexandria, because he was responsible for significant changes to the liturgy in his time. Obviously, this was in post apostolic times. They also celbrate the Divine Liturgy of St. Basil, who lived in the 4th century. It is named for St. Basil because the anaphora was written by him. Obviously, this is not one and the same Eucharistic prayer that was prayed by St. Mark. The basic elements of the Divine Liturgy of every rite are the same as they were in apostolic times, but prayers and hymns have been added throughout the centuries as part of organic growth. This has occurred in all rites. The Nicene Creed didn’t exist until after the Council of Nicea. At some point in the future it was added to the liturgies of most rites, but not all at the same time. It happened for various reasons. IN the early church, there was much less standardization and more local variation. Sometimes local customs caught on and became universal. This is how the creed was added to the Roman Rite. A particular king wanted it included for his coronation Mass, because it was the custom in his local area to include it. It was thus added to the Roman Rite. The Eastern Churches had to deal with Arianism in way that the Roman Church did not. Our liturgies, therefore, are very trinitarian. Language was added in order to explicitly and undeniably teach the doctrine. Historically, the Roman Rite developed later than the Eastern Rites, but certain elements are present in every rite, which speaks to the antiquity of those elements.

The Liturgy of St. James

orthodoxwiki.org/Liturgy_of_St._James
newadvent.org/cathen/08371a.htm
and here is the liturgy of St. James
newadvent.org/fathers/0717.htm

closed #13

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.