Which rites can a Roman Catholic priest practice?

Assuming that I'm talking about a regular diocesan, non-religious order Latin-rite Priest without any special multi-rite functions, which Rites is he allowed to officiate in? Can he decide to celebrate the Latin Rite - or better yet, Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom one day? Why or why not? Would he need permission from his Bishop to do anything outside the Ordinary Form?

I am not a liturgist. I am a lay person. As I understand it, based on the Motu Proprio Summorum Pontificum of Benendict XVI, a regular priest of the Latin Rite may use either the 1962 or the 1969 Roman Missal (which are the "Tridentine Latin Mass" and the "Novus Ordo", respectively) without any special permission. If there are other choices that do not require permission or actual bi-ritual status, I'd be interested to know.

[quote="Taurks, post:1, topic:308122"]
Assuming that I'm talking about a regular diocesan, non-religious order Latin-rite Priest without any special multi-rite functions, which Rites is he allowed to officiate in? Can he decide to celebrate the Latin Rite - or better yet, Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom one day? Why or why not? Would he need permission from his Bishop to do anything outside the Ordinary Form?

[/quote]

In a normal situation, without special permission, a normal diocesan priest would be able to celebrate the Ordinary Form in the vernacular (for english, it would be the 2010 Roman Missal, I believe), the ordinary form in latin (2003 missale romanum) and the extraordinary form in latin (1962 missale romanum). That's it, to my knowledge.

One day? I don't see why not, if everything is in order. But not without permission from his bishop.

[quote="Taurks, post:1, topic:308122"]

[/quote]

CIC Can. 846
§1 The liturgical books, approved by the competent authority, are to be faithfully followed in the celebration of the sacraments. Accordingly, no one may on a personal initiative add to or omit or alter anything in those books.
§2 The ministers are to celebrate the sacraments according to their own rite.

I think a priest has to receive permission before celebrating a different rite, bi-ritual faculties or something. I don't remember exactly.

[quote="anp1215, post:5, topic:308122"]
I think a priest has to receive permission before celebrating a different rite, bi-ritual faculties or something. I don't remember exactly.

[/quote]

There are bi-ritual faculties and there is also the indult of adaptation of rite from the Congregation for the Eastern Churches.

Fr. Mitch Pacwa has permission to celebrate both the Latin and Maronite rites. But, obtaining that permission involves a bit more than simply asking.

Bishop Sheen was also bi-ritual.

Also, today, there is The Most Reverend Peter A. Libasc, the Bishop of Manchester, N.H., who is bi-ritual (Latin/Byzantine).

A Latin-Rite priest who wanted to celebrate, let’s say, the Maronite Rite, would need sufficient instruction in Maronite liturgy (and Arabic and Aramaic), plus permission from his bishop and the bishop of the Maronite diocese/eparchy in which he lives.

I think within the borders of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, priests are free to celebrate the Zairean Rite/Use.

[quote="Cavaille-Coll, post:10, topic:308122"]
A Latin-Rite priest who wanted to celebrate, let's say, the Maronite Rite, would need...permission from his bishop and the bishop of the Maronite diocese/eparchy in which he lives.

[/quote]

That's assuming he was celebrating at a Maronite church. If he were to celebrate a mass according to the Maronite Rite at a Latin church (obviously this would be very irregular), he wouldn't need approval from the Maronite eparch, would he?

Is the Maronite Rite really celebrated in Arabic and Aramaic? I may have to go visit… :slight_smile:

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:12, topic:308122"]
Is the Maronite Rite really celebrated in Arabic and Aramaic? I may have to go visit... :)

[/quote]

The Chaldean liturgies that I have attended have also been celebrated in Arabic, Assyrian (modern Aramaic). The readings were given in each of those languages, plus in English. The homily was then given in all three languages. I don't know if that is the norm. I believe the anaphora was in Assyrian.

[quote="superamazingman, post:3, topic:308122"]
In a normal situation, without special permission, a normal diocesan priest would be able to celebrate the Ordinary Form in the vernacular (for english, it would be the 2010 Roman Missal, I believe), the ordinary form in latin (2003 missale romanum) and the extraordinary form in latin (1962 missale romanum). That's it, to my knowledge.

One day? I don't see why not, if everything is in order. But not without permission from his bishop.

[/quote]

A priest can only celebrate Mass (or Divine Liturgy) once per day (in whatever form or rite) without permission from his bishop.

Our priest recently received permission for a Saturday morning mass and along with the usual Sunday Vigil mass. So we will begin having a weekday Saturday mass. Something quite hard to find in the diocese.

[quote="Evan, post:14, topic:308122"]
A priest can only celebrate Mass (or Divine Liturgy) once per day (in whatever form or rite) without permission from his bishop.

Our priest recently received permission for a Saturday morning mass and along with the usual Sunday Vigil mass. So we will begin having a weekday Saturday mass. Something quite hard to find in the diocese.

[/quote]

Priests in my diocese rountinely celebrate 2,3, even 4 or 5 Masses every Sunday.

[quote="Jegudiel, post:15, topic:308122"]
Priests in my diocese rountinely celebrate 2,3, even 4 or 5 Masses every Sunday.

[/quote]

I believe the bishops have given most priests the authority to offer multiple masses on Sundays. As I said, it is with the bishops permission.

Our priest canceled the 5 pm Thursday mass (the only one on a weekday afternoon) to allow a 9 am Thursday mass. This way all weekday masses are at 9 am. In discussion with him, he is not allowed to offer two masses on Thursdays.

He has received authority for 2 masses on Saturday so now there is a 9 am and 5 pm.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.