Which Sin is the One?

I visited another forum…Protestant/Baptist…and the title of the forum thread was "Which sin is the One? The question was which sin will send me to hell? These folks believe that once you are saved, you are always saved. I received the following reply to a post I made (I used anonymous in the thread!): "Hi Anon, I have not read through all of the answers here, so please forgive me if I repeat. NONE of your sins are sending you to hell. Let me explain before you think I’m not clear on this. It was because of ADAM’s sin that we all became sinners (1 Corinthians 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive. , also Romans 5:12)
and it is because of what JESUS did for us and our faith in HIM that saves us from paying the debt from that sin. What a lot of christians fail to realize is that yes we are sinners, but NO it isn’t our sin sending us to hell, it is only the rejection of the Lords saving grace that can do that. Let me stress something here. I am NOT saying that we are not sinners, I am NOT saying that we don’t sin. I AM saying that our sins were nailed to the cross over 2000 years ago, 2 Corinthians 5:21
For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.
God is not holding us accountable for them anymore! Hallelujah!!!

To understand this also clears up another question. If our sins are not sending us to hell, (nothing we personally did), can anything we do (works) save us from it. NOPE . Faith alone in Christ alone. Love in Christ, XXXX "
Would like a good reply to this post…any suggestions or comments???

I suppose you could approach this from a variety of perspectives. You could cite verses that say that sin can be deadly even to a ‘saved’ person. For example, 1 John 5:16-17 says, “If you see your brother committing what is not a mortal sin, you will ask, and God will give life to such a one–to those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin that is mortal; I do not say that you should pray about that. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin that is not mortal.” This passage speaks of a ‘brother,’ which would presumably be a brother in Christ, that is, a ‘saved’ person. If John specifies that some sin is not mortal (deadly), then it must mean that some sins are mortal.

You could also go about it by showing that the Bible warns us that we can lose our salvation. Matthew 10:22, Mark 13:13, and Luke 21:19 all remind us of the necessity of enduring to the end to be saved. This reminder would not be necessary if we would automatically endure to the end. Romans 11:22 says, “Note then the kindness and severity of God: severity toward those who have fallen, but God’s kindness toward you, provided you continue in his kindness; otherwise you also will be cut off.” 1 Corinthians 15:2 says that we must hold firmly to the message proclaimed to us; otherwise we will have believed in vain. If Paul is telling this to people who believe, it means that people who have already been ‘saved’ may, through later rejection of the truth, have believed in vain.

There’s a lot more that could be said about this, but hopefully this will be a good beginning.

Thanks for your help! Those Protestant/Baptists are a stubborn bunch…love em tho!

the sin that will send you to hell is the sin you do not repent. If it is a grave matter, you know that choosing that sin will cut you off from God forever, and you persist in clinging to that sin, preferring the evil to God, then you have condemned yourself by your own words and actions.

Other aspects about losing your salvation aside, Jesus did say that there is one unforgivable sin, and that is the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. So it seems that if you commit this blasphemy you will lose your salvation and there is no way to get it back, since you will never be forgiven.

Michael Jackson’s brother Jerome, going on National TV and saying, “Michael doesn’t really sleep with little boys.” :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.