Which spirit are we following when?

James3:5 starts of by telling us that
**“Brothers not many of you are called to be teachers, for the judgment on teachers is very sevier”. **:eek:

Wow! then what of those of us who say we are taught to go out and preach, do we get away with “Oh but lord i didn’t know”!
Or…“I don’t think you are talking about me Lord, I just feel I’ve got to go out”!
Or again, Yeh! but my friends and relations at other churches tell me to, or they say we catholics don’t and we are supposed to?
Or again Hey! I’m good as a leader and we didn’t have one"! :tsktsk:

I guess we must be careful which spirit leads :nunchuk: or:highprayer:

What do you think? What does Jesus say? what does scripture say?

Godbless

Hmmm. May the Holy Spirit guide any of us who respond to others’ posts with spiritual and advice! :bible1:

I ask this because I was thrown into this same situation without having remembered the readings about my actions of going into teaching.
It scared me strongly when I read the reading. But there are answers for all.
So please don’t think that this is a critical point of judgment here

Godbless

Some parishes get so desirous of putting bodies into every sort of position simply for the sake of, yes, the ‘participatory laity’, or rather the sake of doing it without regard for the person who is doing it.

It’s a bad habit! That can have dire consequences! :eek:

Yes I guess it could lead to wrong understanding.

Reading the entire chapter, it appears to me that the intent was to control the tongue, the ego, and boasting. We are called to be consistent in our words and our deeds. We are not to praise God, then condemn a brother who is made in God’s image, speaking with the same tongue. We thus become hypocrites and serve the evil one rather than God.

The frailties of human nature were well noted in James. The human tendency to view oneself as superior to others, to use teaching as a weapon of sorts, and otherwise to allow our tongues to destroy the word of God within us was condemned.

Consider the prelude to this in James 1, which sets the tone for the third chapter:

James 1:26 “If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.”

Also, Isaiah wrote of the balance between the tongue and the ears:

Isaiah 50:4 (King James Version) “The Lord GOD hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him that is weary: he wakeneth morning by morning, he wakeneth mine ear to hear as the learned.”

Isaiah teaches us to use our ears and our tongues for God’s good purpose. So, IMO, James cautions us regarding the control of our tongues and consistent use of our tongues for good.

Christ’s peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.