Which Statement Is True Regarding Mortal Sin?

Thanks, Bookcat!

Do you mean: advised to confess “doubtful mortal sins” at ones next confession (not necessarily before Holy Communion)?

Yes–though one could confess them prior of course.

(see my longer post linked above)

One makes a judgment.

I see, we are allowed to make a judgement. You are absolutely sure about this Bookcat, aren’t you? I believe I used to know that we are allowed to make a judgement, but at some point not too long ago I fell into thinking that all doubtful matter had to be resolved by a confessor, if a person wasn’t a scrupulous person. I am afraid of laxity and never want to fall into a lax judgement or sacrilege (aren’t we all capable of making a lax judgement?), so I take doubtful matter to a confessor, unless the confessor has told me not to skip communion on account of the same fault/sin. Peace!

Yes such is part of the moral life.

Lets say Joe had some lustful thoughts …he examines did I have the needed knowledge to commit a mortal sin and did I give complete consent. Though they were very attractive etc he judges from his examination of conscience that he did not give complete consent…perhaps partial but he is not conscious of mortal sin. So he judges that he may receive Holy Communion.

Steve also had such thoughts but in his case he judges that yes committed a mortal sin …so he goes to confession first.

Paul has those kinds of thoughts and Judges that though he can not say he is sure …that it is most likely knowing himself that he did in fact commit a mortal sin. So he judges to go ahead and go to confession first.

Pete is rather lax. He wonders if all those thoughts he had where mortal sins…he talks with his friend Jim who is rather devote and Jim knowing he is rather lax advises him to go right to confession. Pete goes to confession before the next Sunday Mass and confesses them.

Sam is scrupulous. Those kinds of thoughts come to him but he hates them but at the same time fears and worries that he consented to them though he is not sure. His confessor knowing him directs him to go to Communion unless he can affirm with certainty that he both knew they were serious and then gave complete consent anyway. So as directed he makes an act of contrition and goes to Communion.

John has a well formed conscience and seek to follow Christ very closely…but he has had these same kind of thoughts and out of his love for God and desire not to sin he fears he just might…perhaps… have consented to some of them but really cannot judge it was complete consent. Before Mass though he remembers some things he read and advice he had been given in the past and he judges that he is not conscious of any mortal sin after his examine so he makes an act of contrition and goes to Communion.

Thanks, Bookcat, for the link and explanation!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.