Which Traditional Argument Is Better?

Which argument is your favorite (or which is better) and why? Are there any that you avoid using, and if so why?

– Ontological
– Cosmological
– Teleological
– Moral

I prefer the cosmological argument.

It has been said that God wrote two books: The Bible and Nature. St. Paul tells us as much in Romans.

The moral argument is a close second (ala C.S. Lewis’ “Mere Christianity”).

Bottom line - athiests can’t explain the Big Bang with anything even remotely resembling sense.

God bless,
RyanL

I think the cosmological argument achieves more than the others as well. But if you say God wrote the Bible and Nature, that would seem to imply you favor the teleological argument, which states something like

we can discern from the nature of the world whether God exists and the nature thereof

Somebody please help me understand what these words mean so I can vote intelligently.

I have some vague idea of what they mean but I’d prefer to hear from you so I can best participate in this poll.

Thank you,
Alan

[quote=AlanFromWichita]Somebody please help me understand what these words mean so I can vote intelligently.

I have some vague idea of what they mean but I’d prefer to hear from you so I can best participate in this poll.

Thank you,
Alan
[/quote]

sorry if this seems lazy on my part, but i’m sure you could look them up in the catholic encyclopedia or on wikipedia.com

[quote=atheos_sum]sorry if this seems lazy on my part, but i’m sure you could look them up in the catholic encyclopedia or on wikipedia.com
[/quote]

It does seem lazy on your part, but I share in your weakness that it was through my own laziness that I even asked the question instead of looking them up myself. :smiley:

I justified it to myself by thinking maybe the OP was trying to get at something in particular, and that when I went into the dictionary there would be like five meanings, and well, all that is pure speculation.

As it is, I’m sure that if I have to look them up in the dictionary then I probably am not informed enough to give a good answer. Therefore I plan to continue my laziness, and go shop some other threads! Let those qualified to answer this answer, and maybe I’ll check back sometime and see if I can learn something. That is, if I can do it without too much effort. :stuck_out_tongue:

Alan

Alan

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.