Which version of the Catechism is the right one to own?

My wife and I are recent converts to the Catholic Faith (Easter, 2013) (from 50+ years of Protestantism) and would like to have a Catechism but I am so confused! I have seen a version with a red cover called “United States Catholic Catechism for Adults”, a green covered version called “Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition”, a white covered edition also called “Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition” and of course, “The Baltimore Catechism” (which I believe is an outdated version). Which one is the most correct version to own? Thank you!

BTW I love Catholic Answers, and I love, Love, LOVE being Catholic!

All are perfectly fine to own.

The Baltimore Catehism isn’t necessarily “out of date” but rather simply uses older language to describe the teachings of the Church.

The US Catholic Catechism for adults is a teaching Catechism. That means it includes the teachings of the regular Catechism but also tries to explain them in a manner most adults can understand. Its description states: “Each chapter in the United States Catholic Catechism for Adults includes stories, doctrine, reflections, quotations, discussion questions, and prayers to lead the reader to a deepening faith… The United States Catholic Catechism for Adults is an aid and a guide for individuals and small groups to deepen their faith.”

The Catechism of the Catholic Church is a summary of the teachings and faith of the Church in one book. It is not meant to necessarily be explanatory in nature, it is more descriptive. You can read more in the USCCB’s FAQ about the Catechism.

All are perfectly fine to use depending on what you’re looking for.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.