Which would be worse?

I know my father needs to go to confession to receive the Eucharist worthily, he doesn’t like it when I remind him, am I an acomplice to commiting sacriledge by reminding him to get to mass for Sundays/Holy Days of Obligation? Is it better for him to just not go to mass at all than to receive communion unworthily? I know it is good for him to hear the readings.

Johnny,

Given your scrupulosity and OCD, have you gotten a therapist to help you with your issues and a regular confessor/spiritual director yet to whom you can ask these questions?

If the answer is no, then do so ASAP. You simply must stop asking these questions here. It cannot help you get your illness under control.

Johnny,

Given your scrupulosity and OCD, have you gotten a therapist to help you with your issues and a regular confessor/spiritual director yet to whom you can ask these questions?

If the answer is no, then do so ASAP. You simply must stop asking these types of questions here. It cannot help you get your illness under control.

In my humble opinion, people should worry about their own souls and let others worry about theirs. You made your best effort and you tried. It is no longer your problem.

I was legitimately concerned as to what should I do, whenever I have questions about my faith I ask here, yes I see a therapist, it was a serious question, it would help a lot if you could please answer my question and no I don’t have the means of getting a spiritual director, the ones available are too far away.

Not to pry, but are you sure that he’s committed any mortal sins since his last confession? If he hasn’t, then he can receive. Personally, I think it’s better that he gets to Mass either way. I also wouldn’t worry about the state of his soul so much. Johnny, you really do need to calm down and breathe. :cool:

Your father is an adult. He knows the teachings of the Church. It is not your place to remind him of these things, nor is it any sort of sin on your part if he disobeys Church teaching.

You should talk to your own local pastor about spiritual direction. Scrupulosity needs immediate attention.

Getting him to Mass is probably a good idea in the eyes of Our Lord.
Driving him insane is probably a bad idea in the eyes of Our Lord.
Jesus wants you to calmly and fearlessly defend his teaching, not drive yourself mad with scruples. Decide what to do with compassion for your dad in each situation.

He hasnt been to confession in years, i am the only one in the household that takes the faith seriously.

I don’t know if my father is entirely sure on the major teachings of the church, he is a good man though.

Parents don’t, in general, take well to their children telling them what to do. Mentioning these things once in a great while might be OK. But if you’re doing it often, you may be making it worse by annoying him.

The best thing you can do for your father is for you to do what is best for you. Lead by example. And if you can, also pray for your father. Pick up the Chaplet of the Divine Mercy and include your father and many others you wish to pray for. The Chaplet of the Divine Mercy has incredible graces when it is recited. Again lead by example and allow the Holy Spirit to do the rest.

Well he has enrolled you in Catholic School, no? So let’s assume he has a vague notion of the faith. :rolleyes:
Somehow I get the impression that you would deem every one of the people here unworthy given the chance. You’ve had threads about immoral people, immoral girls, occasions of sin, temptations, dishonesty, and on and on.
With all due respect, talk to your priest (you have one at the parish, and surely there is a chaplain at the school) about the tendency to believe that whole world and all the people in it are evil.
Honor your Father and Mother…and pray for them, and support them, and be a good son, study in school, and forgive them their failings, real or imagined.
It’s time to talk to a priest, or to be frank with that counselor.
You’re not God’s personal investigator. Give the Holy Spirit a chance, eh?

Johnny3000, pianistclaire and 1ke have given some great advice. I respectfully suggest you do as each of them suggest.

Hi Johnny,
I see that the other posters have answered your question. I just wanted to tell you that you’re not alone. We’re in the same boat. :frowning: My Dad occasionally goes to Church on Sundays (never on Holy Days of Obligation), always receives communion, and hasn’t gone to Confession in over 10 years. I mentioned it a couple years ago, and he got very upset with me, so I don’t mention it anymore. I know he knows the Church teachings, and the best we can do is pray.

St. Monica, pray for us!

God bless.

That’s what we gotta do, keep on praying everyday.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.