While you pray...

When you are at home praying…such as before bed, do you kneel beside your bed and say your prayers? Is that necessary? Or do you do it while laying in bed or sitting in a chair? Just curious as to whether or not it matters…thanks

I think there are many ways and many different postures one can use during prayer.

I pray at the table before having a meal; I pray while doing the dishes; I pray while driving; I pray the Rosary sitting down or laying down, sometimes kneeling; I pray kneeling for awhile during Eucharistic adoration; sometimes I pray kneeling at my bed for awhile.

I think it is what you are comfortable with; how you can show reverence in prayer no matter the posture; if you have physical limitations that don’t allow you to kneel. I think in the True Presence of Our Lord in the Holy Eucharist that kneeling and bowing are appropriate, though you may not need to do so for the entire holy hour if it is difficult for you.

The posture and condition of our hearts and souls is more important than the posture of our bodies, though we can show reverence with our bodies as well.

Do you pray with hands folded, hands open, head bowed or head looking upwards? All can be done depending on the situation. We can also use our bodies for worship, supplication, etc.

I wouldn’t suggest lying in bed if you intend to stay awake! On the other hand, to pray yourself to sleep is a wonderful thing.

Betsy

Sitting, kneeling, and standing…

I used to kneel during the entire Rosary…my knees hurt too much… so I now kneel at the beginning of the 5th Mystery.

Chaplet of Mercy…sitting/kneeling… whatever moves me at the moment…

Angelous…kneeling with profound bowing.

I usually pray sitting or lying in bed…

I used to kneel beside my bed for years…now that I’m getting older, I can’t get up and down as easy.
I once thought I would get a kneeler but my husband looked at me like I had two heads…:rolleyes:

[quote=baltobetsy]I wouldn’t suggest lying in bed if you intend to stay awake! On the other hand, to pray yourself to sleep is a wonderful thing.

Betsy
[/quote]

kinda like counting the sheep… hoping God will recognize me as one when He starts separating:wave:

MrS

My main prayers at home are usually conducted while I’m sitting in bed with Bibles, devotionals, and other religious materials spread all around.

[quote=Annunciata]I usually pray sitting or lying in bed…

I used to kneel beside my bed for years…now that I’m getting older, I can’t get up and down as easy.
I once thought I would get a kneeler but my husband looked at me like I had two heads…:rolleyes:
[/quote]

I have only one head (I think!) but have a prie dieu in the guest room. I never use it; I do my “best” praying sitting on the floor of my library with my back against the sofa . . . I often do my nightly examen prostrate. I figure at 61, if I can still genuflect, kneel, and do prostrations – and nothing hurts – I’d better take advantage of it while it lasts!

Does anybody really care ? ? ?

Their is no proper way to pray. Some people prefer to use formal prayers like the Our Father and Hail Mary, others make their own prayers. Kneeling is a sign of humiltiy and is familiar to the Latin Rite only. In the East standing is the norm while praying.

Do you find the formality of your prayers varies? Sometimes, such as in Church (ideally when there’s not a serive going on), I’ll prayer formal prayers or traditional prayers of the sort we fnd in prayer books. But other times, such as when I’m at home or walking out in public, my prayers tend to be more conversational and free-form.

One of the things that impresses me about Catholicism is the richness of its resources and traditions for prayer.

[quote=dumspirospero]When you are at home praying…such as before bed, do you kneel beside your bed and say your prayers? Is that necessary? Or do you do it while laying in bed or sitting in a chair? Just curious as to whether or not it matters…thanks
[/quote]

You can pray in any posture that you want, for as long as you are comfortable with it and you say it with all sincerity and devotion.

Gerry

closed #12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.