Whining About Doing Bad in Video Games?

I often play video games. For the most part, they are fun. However, since about when I first started playing First Person Shooters (I really started late 2008. They are also one of my favorite genres), sometime around 2009-2010 I started worrying pointlessly about my KDR (Kills to Deaths ratio). Nowadays I don’t want to worry about KDR and just want to have fun. I can’t seem to get rid of the pointless worrying over a useless stat.

This brings me to my point: When I do poorly in games I get stressed out and a bit grumpy. I sometimes whine about how bad I am doing in the game. Other times I just say things I don’t really mean such as “(insert F word here) my aim”, or “(insert F word here) my life”. Again, I don’t really mean these things, I just post them in the in game chat when I am getting mad. I almost feel like I have no choice before I do it. I just let the emotions take control of my keyboard.

I am not so sure of whether this is moral or not. It doesn’t seem “Very Bad” (aka, Grave Matter) to me (It’s just some pointless in game text chat that people often use to spam pointless and random faces and text.) I don’t really mean what I say, I am just letting my feelings out instead of building up anger inside, thus I suppose that I lack the “intent” behind the words. I am not totally sure whether it is a sin so that would mean that I lack full knowledge. Thus, I feel this is only at most venial, but I could be wrong. This is something that confuses the heck out of me.

In before people say I’m a loony.

The swearing as you described it does not appear to be a mortal sin. However, to be on the safe side, speak to your confessor about your concerns.

I’d be more worried about the obsession of the KDR. Your issues seem to spring from the FPS games. I would consider moving those games out of my life if it were me.

Peace,
B

Its not particularly holy or positive, but it is certainly not a grave matter, in my opinion.

In following your previous post I think you spend more time on video games than you realize. As it is still Lent you might consider staying away from video games for a while. These games tend to replace reality, social interaction and even culture. Get out and socialize with real people and real life. Cut the computer umbilical cord for the most part-maybe start a journal through the rest of Lent. Believe it or not, Ripley, there was Life before Computers. Great saints…a computer did not make. Peace.

Yes it’s wrong. It’s not grave, but your contributing bricks to the wall…so to speak. I don’t see the good in playing video games, whatever that might be, outweighing the anxiety it causes to you, and the scandal it may cause from little children out there watching an older sibling or parent play that game who may see your F-bombs on the chat stream.

The time that you spend playing video games could be used for something else that:

1. produces good
  2. accomplishes the same “relaxation” as the video games do for you, but without the frustration
  3. That’s all I got

Thanks for the replies! Video games are one of my favorite ways to kill time, get enjoyment, and relax, much like somebody else might like watching movies or reading novels. I’m sure if I could somehow get out of the mental rut of worrying about what other people think of my skills I would be able to enjoy them much more. :slight_smile:

I’d like to note that I don’t get stressed out in single player games because there are no people to judge your “skills” and taunt the losers by saying “EZ”. However, multi-player games are, in general, far more entertaining as you are playing against real people. I’d guess multi-player games are sort of a double edged sword.

Indeed, I could probably put my time to better use, but today, for example, there is a blizzard outside. I can’t go to thrift stores to hunt for neat items, nor I can’t work because of the storm. My father is working at home so I can’t really play music. On such days, video games are the best things to do. Browsing the internet can easily become a near occasion of sin if you aren’t careful

Well, lets see…you could pray the rosary…or read Scripture…or review your RCIA instructions…get ahead on your studies…clean out your closet or room…cook a meal…do some workouts…wash dishes or your cloths…lots of stuff. Your preference is to ignore any advice and make excuses for yourself. Big Boys don’t do that:D. Just saying. Peace

Does not seem very relaxing to me:D
never was one for video games myself.
Such language is unbecoming of a Christian like previously said bricks in the wall so to speak.

I think I’ve found a solution. I’ve disabled the scoreboard in the game. This way, I can’t see my Kills or Deaths. This can prevent “Tilt” as gamers often call the anger of losing/doing poorly.

To be fair we all do things that are, strictly speaking, not the best use of our time, but which we find relaxing. For some people it’s playing video games, for others it could be watching tv, for others it could be playing with the dog, etc. as long as he is not doing it excessively for hours at a time and is still getting work done, socializing, and getting exercise I don’t think there’s anything wrong with some video games

Sure- human nature (being corrupted) naturally tend to look for ‘outlets’ for its sinful tendencies. Now, a phenomenon of our times is the emergence of ‘relatively harmless’ out less. If you swear to your computer, or carry out aggression in a ‘game’, it is realising sinful tendencies which otherwise might amount to ‘real sins’.

On the other hand ‘realising sinful tendencies’ can sometimes also cultivate and encourage them, rather than abating them.

It doesn’t sound like a moral question at this point, so much as a psychological one.

I suggest trying to give up these computer games for a month. Maybe take up something else instead (playing guitar, or writing poetry, or doing chin ups, or starting a PhD, or dating a pretty girl). It could be that you feel better at the end of that time…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.