White Catholic voters turn on Donald Trump, handing Hillary Clinton further opportunity to steal traditional Republican support

telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/18/white-catholic-vote-turns-on-donald-trump-handing-hillary-clinto/

**White Catholic voters turn on Donald Trump, handing Hillary Clinton further opportunity to steal traditional Republican support

At the start of the month, Donald Trump led Hillary Clinton by 56-31 per cent among white Catholics.

According to the latest poll, in the wake of the lewd video and sexual assault allegations against Mr Trump, Mrs Clinton has taken a 46-42 lead. Overall, the Catholic vote is 61-34 in her favour.

This is a major blow to Mr Trump’s chances of pulling off a victory in three weeks time - in fact it could be fatal.**

White Catholic support has been crucial to Republican presidential hopefuls for decades and helped the party make sweeping gains in the midterm elections of 2010 and 2014. Mitt Romney secured 59 per cent of the white Catholic vote in 2012.

**Catholic Vote, a conservative organisation, said in a statement: “Newly released comments by Donald Trump . . . are disgusting and simply indefensible.

“Christians should not waste their breath defending them. The mere fact that this conversation is occurring in the context of a presidential campaign impoverishes us all. If Donald Trump is unwilling to step aside, the Republican National Committee must act soon out of basic decency and self-preservation.”**

Referring to the latest polling, Robert Jones, a Public Religion Research Institute pollster, told the New York Times: “That’s not where Trump wants to be in the homestretch, particularly with a core constituency in Mid Western battleground states.”

Aside from the disclosures this month about Mr Trump’s sexually aggressive language towards women and alleged history of assault, which the candidate denies, his spat with Pope Francis is unlikely to have helped his popularity among the demographic…

**It’s not all plain sailing for the Clinton camp’s hopes of sweeping up the white Catholic vote, however.

Emails released earlier this week showed senior campaign officials discussing Republican Catholics in offensive terms.**

John Halpin, a senior fellow at the Center for American Progress, a Democratic think tank with close ties to the Clinton campaign and the Obama White House wrote in 2011 that “the most powerful elements of the conservative movement are all Catholic” and described their positions as “an amazing bastardisation of the faith”.

He added: “They must be attracted to the systematic thought and severely backwards gender relations and must be totally unaware of Christian democracy.”

Republicans claimed that the emails highlighted the Clinton campaign’s “breathtaking anti-Catholic bigotry”.

I think this poll was done pre-second debate. The poll was done right in the midst from the fallout of the Trump tape and I think it was done before the Wikileaks reveal of the outrageous comments about Catholics and Evangelicals. That poll may have changed quite a bit if was done more recently.

Most of my friends are Catholic and Trump supporters. Haven’t talked to one who’s changed there mind.

I thought she has been ahead in the Catholic vote since the beginning.

Good Lord, I sure hope not!

Isn’t it true that Catholics have been notoriously pro-Democratic since the 1900s?

ICXC NIKA

A Pew poll conducted in June indicated that white Catholics who attend Mass regularly were supporting the Democratic nominee at a significantly higher rate than in 2012. This wasn’t due to any love for Clinton, who was less popular than Obama. However, Donald Trump was driving away potential Catholic supporters

pewforum.org/2016/07/13/religion-and-the-2016-campaign/.

Every reputable poll has Clinton winning both the first and second debates, so I don’t see why there would be much movement toward Trump from Catholics and Evangelicals.

She has been…and she continues to get more and more of that vote as the race continues.

She has been ahead in the Catholic vote since the beginning, the white Catholic vote, and by a WIDE margin, the Hispanic Catholic vote.

:thumbsup:

Catholics are generous and like to be “forward thinking” hence the leaning to Liberal/Progressive instead of backwards which is what the Dems call Republicans… but lots are conservative, patriotic, and faithful… and pro-life.

Sadly, I believe it to be true. Obama won the Catholic vote twice!

We tend to evaluate Democrats by their intentions. Instead of by their actual results.

Eight years of 1% annual growth … under Obama … all blamed on the evil Bush.

Versus decades of 4% or 5% annual growth under Republicans.

Look up “Mistress of Disaster” and on YouTube look up the 17 warnings by George W. Bush.

Supporting Hillary?
Well then stay away from communion !

Only because of Hispanic Catholics. Among non-Hispanic Catholics, the majority supported Romney.

Likely this will be true this time as well. Catholics will, of course, have to decide whether Clinton’s anti-Catholicism is outweighed in importance by Trump’s bad manners. One is inclined to think most Catholics rate active hostility to religion a greater evil than boorishness.

Your claim is a myth:

politicsthatwork.com/graphs/gdp-growth-by-party

voxeu.org/article/us-economy-performs-better-under-democratic-presidents-why

By Catholics do they mean anybody who says they are, or actual Catholics that even bother to do the minimum.

I’ve got a lot of family members who say they’re Catholic but haven’t made Mass in decades and don’t believe anything the church teaches up to and including transubstantiation.

He hasn’t lost this Catholic’s vote! :thumbsup:

According to the Wall Street Journal, in an article printed yesterday, the main factor in which candidate a person votes for, has to do with education level.

“Also of interest, the Wall Street Journal added, “The clearest dividing line in this year’s presidential election now falls along educational lines: Whites without a college degree have consolidated behind Donald Trump and those with a four-year degree are tending to back Hillary Clinton.” This is consistent across multiple surveys over the course of several months: the more formal education a voter has received, the more likely he or she is to support Clinton.”

The young women, my daughter’s age, early 30’s, are all pretty independent when it comes to voting. My DD has one friend who was thinking of voting for Trump until the sexual assault video was released. Most of these young women are professionals, attorney’s, MD’s, accountants, and at one time or another have had unwanted sexual advances. They remember some of the Bill Clinton sexual charges from the 90’s and assert they would not vote for him either if He was running. They don’t consider the Monica L. case problematic since it was consensual, however, they do see a problem with the other incidents. At least they are consistent whether it’s a red or blue candidate! :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.