White Christmas

Up here in Minnesota, we are having an old fashioned white Christmas. Very nearly three feet of snow, so far, for December.

The deep snow evokes childhood memories of snowmen, snow forts, snowballs, and sliding down snow covered hillsides.

What memories can you share, of white Christmas experiences from your childhood?

All I can remember is how many times I got sick. :mad:

from childhood, tobagganing, skating, snow falling over the churchyard as we came out of midnight Mass and how pretty our elderly parish buildings looked in the snow

as an adult, being marooned with 3 kids under 5 in a blizzard w/o food, diapers etc. or being stranded in a car overnight with a 4 month old baby along the Ohio turnpike

gee, Grandma, why do you live in Texas? hmmm?

[quote="Magickman, post:1, topic:223713"]
Up here in Minnesota, we are having an old fashioned white Christmas. Very nearly three feet of snow, so far, for December.

The deep snow evokes childhood memories of snowmen, snow forts, snowballs, and sliding down snow covered hillsides.

What memories can you share, of white Christmas experiences from your childhood?

[/quote]

The Denver Christmas Eve blizzard of 1982. This was not in my childhood but the city was paralyzed for days, and disabled for weeks.

examiner.com/weather-in-denver/the-best-of-denver-storms-christmas-eve-blizzard-of-1982 And photos: examiner.com/weather-in-denver/denver-s-christmas-eve-blizard-of-1982-picture

We've had a few snowstorms here in Houston lately, if you can call them that. One year it was on Christmas Eve. I got no photos because FIL was there and I was trying to cook, but it was enough of a build-up for the kids to actually make snowballs (small but throwable). We've gotten a flurry or two since then, but doesn't look like this will be one of those years. It's fun to see the snow fall down but I do NOT miss digging out vehicles and trying to drive in it.

Doesn't anyone see the symbolism of a White Christmas? The snow is pure white, the symbol of the spotless Savior's birth! :)

I was living in Va and on my way to MN. It didn’t feel like christmas. Until we flew over southern MN on the way into MSP. Snow! :snowing: Now it was Christmas:christmastree1:

Last year, I was a senior in high school, and we had had some snow here in Nebraska leading up to December, but nothing like compared to Christmas Eve. Our priest was unable to make it in for 7:30 pm Mass due to the snow (he commutes from a neighboring town), and neither was he able to have the morning Mass on Christmas Day. Since my family lives very near to the church in my town, he gave my dad permission to conduct Communion services instead for anyone who could make it. It was crazy. The same thing happened over January 1st also! :S

For weeks afterwards, towering snow piles and drifts lined the roads. The highways looked like they had been carved into the snow, with walls alongside the road. It was very strange. And the wind kept blowing the snow over the road anyways, so those poor road workers kept having to clear it. :whacky: Of course, all this snow had to happen while we weren't in school, right?? haha

We've also had the random ice storm during Christmas break (not necessarily over Christmas) over the past 5 or so years. Those are always (not so) fun. When the power doesn't work for a few days in the cold winter. Thank God for generators! :p

Amazingly, we haven't had much snow here this year. It is snowing as I type this, but not very much, and it certainly doesn't look like anything that will accumulate. However, I could be wrong...I don't want to jinx it. ;)

Though I grew up in Massachusetts (coastal), white Christmases were few and far between. I remember many Christmas days when it was nearly 60 degrees! We wouldn’t usually get much snow until late January-February. We did visit there once about 20 years ago and there was a storm around Christmas, and there was high excitement.

Down here in Alabama, we’ve never had a white Christmas, and rarely any snow. It’s about 55 degrees down here now.

Merry (white!) Christmas to all of you.

Snow, toboggans, waiting for the presents, rich Christmas Eve suppers with a lot of dishes that were only made for that occasion, the Shepherds' Mass, carrols. :)

Chev sings White Christmas

Here in NC, this year was the first year it snowed on Christmas day since 1947 so I don't have any memories of white Christmases growing up. :( But, I made plenty of wonderful memories this year! It was my first Christmas as a married woman and the first Christmas with the baby on the way, so I couldn't help but take it as a sign from God that everything's going to be alright. It was very comforting.

I was born and raised in Houston. We've had all of two or three instances of snow that I can remember, and only once did it accumulate to such a degree that you could call it "white".

Living in College Station, which is more north, we've had at least one snow a year, and every year or two we get a day of white on the ground. The nice thing about the rarity is that snow is always a time for fun down here, even if it melts on impact. We'll use snow collected from car roofs and truck beds to make snowballs and snow men. In particular I remember a day in late february of (now) last year. When I woke up, I took my dog out to the bathroom and it was warm and green. Definitely T-shirt weather. I went back inside my apartment to work on an English essay for a few hours, and when I took a brake and looked out my office window, it was white! I knew it was coming, but it was still such a pleasant surprise that it actually stayed on the ground. I had Tuesdays off, but I was told that most classes were cancelled even in the middle because the profs knew everyone wanted to play outside.

Since my grandparents were from Wisconsin, I have had experiences of real northern white Christmases, and they're just as fun. It's so much more fun when you don't have to worry about shoveling the driveway.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.