White House aides' e-mail records gone

usatoday.com/news/washington/2007-06-18-white-house-emails_N.htm

WASHINGTON (AP) — E-mail records are missing for 51 of the 88 White House officials who had electronic message accounts with the Republican National Committee, the House Oversight Committee said Monday.
The Bush administration may have committed “extensive” violations of a law requiring that certain records be preserved, said the committee’s Democratic chairman, adding that the panel will deepen its probe into the use of political e-mail accounts.

The committee’s interim report said the number of White House officials who had RNC e-mail accounts, and the number of messages they sent and received, were more extensive than previously realized.

The administration has said that about 50 White House officials had RNC e-mail accounts during Bush’s presidency. But the House committee found at least 88.

Of course, this is all perfectly innocent and a plot by the MSM, Liberals. Moderates, Libretarians, Communists, Pagans, CINO’s,
Leftist Intellectuals, and all the rest to discredit an exemplary administration.

John

Wish they would investigate Sandy Berger’s theft and destruction of classified documents with equal thoroughness.

I agree, they should also investigate Sandy Berger. However, are you saying because he got off with unlawful activity, then everything the other party does that is immoral/unlawful should be ignored as well?

So you’re admitting that the White House has thoroughly destroyed records?

It’s amusing to me that all the Bush supporters rail against moral relativism on the other fora but when it gets to politics it’s all, “Bill did it first” or “Bill did it worse”.

You need to keep up with the things you are complaing about; Berger already pled guilty and Republicans in Congress investigated and issued a report on this.

This was the reason why holding onto the Congress was so important to the White House and to fellow Republicans. For 6 years, their constituents turned a blind eye to shoddy or non-existent oversight of the government. And what happened? They ran amuck.

You have officials in the DoJ asking potential employees what political party they belong to and throwing out the ones who gave the wrong answer. You have White House officials gossiping about CIA employees to the media. You now have only lower level military personnel sitting in prison for the torture and murder of prisoners when half a brain tells you that there is a lot more to that story. And now you have potential violations of the Presidential Records Act.

For 6 years, it seems that some Republicans expected nothing of their government other than it be Republican. I actually think that this presidency could have had a better outcome if they held been held to some standards and if they had been held to account. But since that never happened, this is what you get; a non-stop medical examination.

I agree that this back and forth political bickering is pointless. My 4 year old and 2 year old get along better than these politicians.

I’m a network manager for an NASD broker dealer and all e-mails sent within the jurisdiction of our e-mail system has to be archived. Also, to eliminate liability, we block access to web-based e-mail sites.

I don’t think that e-mails sent via private accounts from Hotmail, Yahoo, or even the RNC’s e-mail system are regulated. I do not believe they are required to keep e-mails. They are free to delete e-mails as they see fit. Furthermore, these e-mails are not considered matters of public record because they did not reside on a government e-mail system. If they sent e-mails from a government e-mail system and tried to destroy the e-mails, then that would be a felony. Unfortunately, the laws are written in a way that allow loopholes such as using a foreign messaging system that is beyond governmental regulation.

According to the Presidential Records Act, if you are doing government business you are responsible for keeping a record. That means that every phone call gets logged, every piece of paper gets saved, and the same goes for emails. The White House has the reponsibility, under the law, to make sure that records are being saved. Like any business, they are responsible for the actions of their employees. And those employees signed documents saying that they understood the rules of saving presidential records.

It’s not the RNC that is in potential violation of the Act, but the White House employees themselves.

I need to add that Alberto Gonzales was White House Counsel at the start of the Bush presidency. He was the one who instructed all White House staff to only use the WH server for government business and to keep records.

I agree, we take that position with our employees as well. If they decide to do business from their home accounts or from their cell phone, they are responsible for logging the calls and keeping records and forwarding correspondence to the compliance officer.

However, at such a high government level, what is the need for RNC e-mail accounts anyway?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.