White House bans network pool reporter from Rose Garden event

Thank goodness, finally some of these screaming me-mees will have to conduct themselves with respect and decorum or be shown the door. There are a few more that need the exit pointed out.

:+1: In the article–" In a statement in response to press inquiries, Sanders confirmed the dis-invitation. She claimed Collins “shouted questions and refused to leave despite repeatedly being asked to do so.”

“To be clear, we support a free press and ask that everyone be respectful of the presidency and guests at the White House,” Sanders said. "

What happened is inappropriate.

On Wednesday morning Trump tweeted about the Cohen tape & the WH issued a statement about the rescheduling of a second summit with Vladimir Putin.

On Wednesday afternoon Collins was representing all the television networks as the “pool reporter” in the room during a meeting between Trump & Jean-Claude Juncker, the president of the European Commission.

As is customary, Collins lobbed a few questions at the president. She asked about Vladimir Putin & Michael Cohen. Trump did not answer the questions.

Later in the afternoon, the White House surprised the press corps by announcing a press availability with Trump & Juncker in the Rose Garden. It was said to be open to all press, not just the small pool.

A few minutes later, Collins was asked to come to Bill Shine’s office. Shine, a former co-president of Fox News, is the new deputy chief of staff for communications. Shine & press secretary Sarah Sanders met Collins there.
“They said ‘You are dis-invited from the press availability in the Rose Garden today,’” Collins said in an interview. “They said that the questions I asked were inappropriate for that venue. And they said I was shouting.”

A video clip of the exchange shows that Collins was speaking the same way journalists in the press pool usually speak.

Collins said she reacted by saying, “You’re banning me from an event because you didn’t like the questions I asked.”

Collins said Shine & Sanders asserted that “we’re not banning your network. Your photographers can still come. Your producers can still come. But you are not invited to the Rose Garden today.”

In a statement, CNN disputed the WH’s assertion that Collins’ questions were inappropriate. “Just because the WH is uncomfortable with a question regarding the news of day doesn’t mean the question isn’t relevant & shouldn’t be asked,” the network said. "This decision to bar a member of the press is retaliatory in nature & not indicative of an open & free press. We demand better."

The association which represents the White House press corps said it strongly condemned the action. “This type of retaliation is wholly inappropriate, wrong-headed, and weak. It cannot stand,” the group said in a statement.

Fox News, one of CNN’s top competitors, also spoke out. “We stand in strong solidarity with CNN for the right to full access for our journalists as part of a free and unfettered press,” Fox News president Jay Wallace said.

Is there any video of the alleged disrespectful behaviour by the reporter?

Or failing that is there a list of the questions the reporter articulated?

The link at the top of this topic contains video to the CNN report and within the CNN report is a video of “the alleged disrespectful behaviour.”

Thanks HCTC, but it didn’t play in my part of the world. I went looking on YouTube but I didn’t find it there. I assume you think she acted appropriately?

From the article, two of the questions are:

:She asked: “Did Michael Cohen betray you, Mr. President?” She repeated the question, then asked “Mr. President, are you worried about what Michael Cohen is about to say to the prosecutors? Are you worried about what is on the other tapes, Mr. President?”

This apparently was in front of the EU trade representative. Maybe this kind of thing is common fare in white house press conferences, but it shouldn’t be. Diplomatic meetings should have a higher degree of decorum observed.

I don’t blame the white house for disinviting her.

Right. Let’s have the Trump administration school others on respect and decorum.:rofl:

The continuous rude shouting out and denying another reporter their opportunity to put forward a question has to stop. The level of rude behavior is an insult to the American people and we demand that our President and Administration be afforded respect and order.

The White House is a relatively small building … built or rebuilt in 1948 … not enlarged … with small rooms … look at the video of reporters crammed in … with microphones on long extenders … ban them all.

I think Ms. Collins behavior was well within the norm. I could hear her questions well; but by the tone of her voice, it didn’t sound as if she were yelling. I’m guessing that she was mic’d so as to be more audible on the video for the audience that she represented. Excluding her from the Rose Garden event was a punishment for doing her job because she addressed matters about which the president does not want to be questioned - although he does want to tweet about them (Cohen) and/or issue spin statements about them (the delay in scheduling a second meeting with Putin).

While I am a big believer in manners, I am of the opinion that the WH press has an important job to do - a job that is enshrined in our Constitution. Getting information on behalf of the American people is their job. Diplomacy is the government’s job. My really simplistic principle regarding diplomacy is this: When in Rome, do as the Romans do. In other words, when in a foreign country, show respect by observing the host country’s customs. As a pertinent example, if you are invited to visit the Queen of England, it is good manners to observe protocol by not turning your back to the Queen - a courtesy, btw, that Mr. Trump was unable to respect.

What unvarnished bias. A reporter shouts questions deliberately intended to insult the president in front of a foreign leader and that’s okay with you because the president is Trump. But if the president of the U.S. turns his back on the Queen of England, that’s a mortal sin; again, only because it’s Trump.

But I do think your first sentence is correct. When it comes to Trump, nastiness on the part of the MSM is, indeed, the norm.

She was the “pool reporter” for that particular Rose Garden event, and had every right to try to get pertinent questions answered. However, the President rarely answers, unless it’s something he wants to talk about. He virtually never holds news conferences (went more than a year without one.) Presidents must make themselves available for questions, and he rarely does, except in random instances.

Banning reporters is a tactic used by authoritarians, which Trump evidently aspires to be. Shame on him and his minions, Sanders and Shine, and shame on you for lacking understanding of the importance of a free press.

Of course you don’t.

If he held press conferences like other presidents, reporters wouldn’t have to resort to shouting questions at random events.

Kicking a reporter out will not keep Cohen from flipping. :joy:

He’s only distracting the public, well his supporters anyway. The investigations are ongoing as we speak.

Personally, I would have been fine with the questions had they been asked of Obama, or either of the Bushes, or Clinton or Reagan or Carter. A reporter’s job is to ask questions, some are more embarrassing than others.

May I take exception to your shaming me? Well I do take exception. An Apology isn’t necessary as I would doubt any sincerity. I understand lots of things including where rudeness is a tool and false statements are worthless.

Do we actually have a sincere person on these forums?

The white house does hold press conferences. But shouting accusations at the president in the presence of a foreign leader shouldn’t happen. And the “question” really wasn’t a question. It was just an embarrassing accusation, in reality.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.