White House fails to address omission in Trump-Putin transcript

The WH explains editing out Putin’s support for the election of Trump, but after a week had not corrected it:

Yesterday:

Nine days after The Atlantic first reported that part of a key exchange between a reporter and Vladimir Putin was missing from the official White House transcript of the Russian leader’s press conference with Donald Trump, the White House has corrected the error. It made the fix after facing repeated questions from reporters about the discrepancy over the past week and, most recently, allegations that the Trump administration had intentionally altered the text. The White House now denies this, blaming the problem on a technical glitch.

The Reuters reporter Jeff Mason’s first question, “President Putin, did you want President Trump to win the election?” which didn’t show up in the original transcript, now appears alongside his second question: “And did you direct any of your officials to help him do that?”

The full quote is critical to understanding the meaning of what Putin says next: “Yes, I wanted him to win, because he talked about the normalization of Russian–American relations.” (According to the English translation broadcast during the press conference, which is also used in the White House transcript, Putin responded, “Yes, I did. Yes, I did. Because he talked about bringing the U.S.–Russia relationship back to normal.” But Russian speakers told me this is an inaccurate translation, and the Russian president was clearly saying “yes” to preferring Trump over Hillary Clinton—not to directing his government to assist Trump in defeating Clinton.)

A tempest in a teapot.

closed #4

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.