White House: Obama Will Not Attend Justice Scalia's Funeral

nbcnews.com/news/us-news/white-house-obama-will-not-attend-justice-scalia-s-funeral-n520236

This is very disappointing.

Warning sarcasm approaching

Could be afraid of Holy Water…
Too many crosses and crucifixes for his comfort…
Italian blood tastes of garlic…

That does it, Abraham Lincoln may have fought vampires, but Baruch Obama IS a vampire!
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://cdn.playbuzz.com/cdn/bb09a565-02b7-4cb6-9154-7893643129c4/09fd9a7a-d985-4cb6-866f-7ca9beb77fd4.png&imgrefurl=http://www.playbuzz.com/hugonueces11/can-you-guess-which-msg-is-sarcastic-without-an-emoji&h=272&w=340&tbnid=lVqUlaW2_6da3M:&docid=a7h7Ok02Xr4CCM&ei=mULFVpO4N4W4eJO_lcAD&tbm=isch&ved=0ahUKEwjT6IOct4DLAhUFHB4KHZNfBTgQMwgdKAAwAA

Warning sarcasm approaching

Could be afraid of Holy Water…
Too many crosses and crucifixes for his comfort…
Italian blood tastes of garlic…

That does it, Abraham Lincoln may have fought vampires, but Baruch Obama IS a vampire!

Why doesn’t this surprise me? :rolleyes:

Loved the golf question. :thumbsup:

My understanding is that it’s normal for a president **or **vice-president to attend a funeral for a justice. Given that Biden is Catholic (let the arguments ensue), perhaps it seemed appropriate for him to attend – perhaps he asked to. I can’t say that I find Obama’s non-attendance odd or sad.

“Four out of the past seven funerals for a Supreme Court justice have either had the president or vice president in attendance.”

Which means 3 out of 7 were not attended by either the President or Vice President. Doesn’t sound that there is a precedent of the President attending. And in this case the Vice President is attending.

So why is it very disappointing? Because it’s Barack Obama?

…but not surprising. During his first months in office, Obama returned the bust of Churchill, gifted to the US back to England. No class or decorum what so ever.

washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2015/01/27/ted-cruzs-claim-that-one-of-obamas-very-first-acts-was-returning-a-bust-of-churchill/

No, because he has not stated WHY he is unable to attend. I seriously hope he is not going golfing instead.

***When pressed for clarification on Obama missing the funeral, White House press secretary Josh Earnest repeated that “the president will pay his respects at the Supreme Court on Friday and he’ll be joined with the first lady when he does that.”

When asked whether Obama’s Saturday plans include golfing, Earnest stressed instead that the president believes it is important to honor Scalia’s life and service.***

nbcnews.com/news/us-news/white-house-obama-will-not-attend-justice-scalia-s-funeral-n520236

Yeah… no. If you’re going to criticize the man at least fact check before hand.

I just think this forum nitpicks everything about President Obama because it is made up of a majority of conservatives. There are multiple ways in which people honor and pay respects to the deceased. I have no idea what other Presidents were doing when they did not attend or when their Vice Presidents attended. Nor what this President will be doing. Nor do I particularly care. But if he should golf, perhaps that is his way of honoring Justice Scalia’s life since Justice Scalia too was a golfer. Scalia was the only justice not to attend the swearing in ceremony of Chief Justice Roberts because he was himself golfing at a right wing even at the Ritz Carlton.

upi.com/Top_News/2006/01/24/Scalia-golfed-during-Roberts-swearing-in/UPI-72861138108547/?st_rec=72861138108547

I think I hear the wagons circling…:blush:

First of all, as always when the “this site is slanted against my way of thinking :bighanky:” card comes up, I have to point there’s a consistent range of opinions on here.

I will say though that left-wing parties wouldn’t get as much criticism if they weren’t, say, proudly against the core, important teachings of the Catholic Church, and this is a Catholic forum after all…

And look and listen:

If it’s so important to have our approval, just change the platform, poltical philosophy, and nominate/appoint politicians as such.

Problem solved! :yyeess:

There’s a decent amount of diversity on this site, whether its acknowledged or not.

Nor do I particularly care.

I wish I had an euro every time someone on the internet said “I don’t care!” but responds with a long post anyways. :stuck_out_tongue:

But if he should golf, perhaps that is his way of honoring Justice Scalia’s life since Justice Scalia too was a golfer.

:eek:

I really hope the expectation isn’t for me to buy into that line…

Come on, man!

Scalia was the only justice not to attend the swearing in ceremony of Chief Justice

Oh. I wasn’t aware that swearing in a new chief justice was comparable to one dying.

Note to self on that! :whacky:

The problem is that President Obama has a controversial history of choosing and prioritizing company.

That’s why this can’t be brushed off so easily with claims of “he’s golfing to honor Scalia” or “Biden really wanted to go instead”.

And really, to my friends on the left, if Ted Cruz treated Breyer or Ginsburg like this, we all know the hinges would be broken among various liberals.

Frankly, it’d bother me as well.

So for lack of a better way of looking at this, let’s not mess with each other’s intellect (which everyone has on here, BTW) with pretty far-fetched speculation. :thumbsup:

I always hold out hope that a person, especially the POTUS, will do what is appropriate. Even if nobody else is doing it or has done it.

If the president was traveling out of the country or some such thing, it would be understandable. I hope he chooses to be a good example to all.

I agree with you. With Biden in attendance, it would actually be unwise for Obama to attend. The president and vice-president are rarely in the same place at the same time. And, as you pointed out, Biden is Catholic.

That’s a legitimate reason.

It only takes all of 20 seconds to fact-check a ridiculous rumor like this before repeating and spreading it.
The bust is still in the White House–in the residence, outside the Treaty room.
See photo of Prez Obama showing it to PM David Cameron.

And read this:
whitehouse.gov/blog/2012/07/27/fact-check-bust-winston-churchill

washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2015/01/27/ted-cruzs-claim-that-one-of-obamas-very-first-acts-was-returning-a-bust-of-churchill/

if the president is in town, he should be there.
robert davi wrote a good opinion article on Breitbart if anyone would care to read it.
I find it very sad and disrespectful Obama is not attending.

I’m not surprised!! God Bless, Memaw

Maybe the “family” doesn’t want him there! :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.