White House opens door to tolls on interstate highways, removing long-standing prohibition

With pressure mounting to avert a transportation funding crisis this summer, the Obama administration Tuesday opened the door for states to collect tolls on interstate highways to raise revenue for roadway repairs.

The proposal, contained in a four-year, $302 billion White House transportation bill, would reverse a long-standing federal prohibition on most interstate tolling.

washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/white-house-opens-door-to-tolls-on-interstate-highways-removing-long-standing-prohibition/2014/04/29/5d2b9f30-cfac-11e3-b812-0c92213941f4_story.html

**Hope and Change baby. Tax and redistribute.

Shouldn’t the people who use the roads pay for the repairs?

Since we all use the roads, we all should pay.

Unless you grow all your own food, make all your clothes from the sheep you raise and cotten you grow, make all your tools, don’t have a computer or other electronic device, never travel on state or federal roads, don’t receive mail from other states, (and the list goes on) you have directly or indirectly used the results of the roads that were built and are maintained using federal dollars.

We already DO pay and have paid for a long time. Too bad the money has been mismanaged for so long.

Be prepared for a hefty rise in the price of goods. And forget about that affordable summer road trip. :mad:

What a flippin’ pain in the neck We can afford to go to war, to fund research of obscure insects, foreign aide to Pakistan while they harbor Bin-Laden, pay druggie baby Mamas to stay at home with their kids. :shrug:

But forget about basic infrastructure used by all :rolleyes:

What about the crazy notion of spending less?

Ya know, like responsible people do.

We don’t use all roads equally. I don’t use any roads in California, so why should I pay for California roads? A toll would make those who use specific roads pay for them. Then Californians can pay for California roads and Floridians can pay for Florida roads.

Unless you grow all your own food, make all your clothes from the sheep you raise and cotten you grow, make all your tools, don’t have a computer or other electronic device, never travel on state or federal roads, don’t receive mail from other states, (and the list goes on) you have directly or indirectly used the results of the roads that were built and are maintained using federal dollars.

And a toll would make our payment directly proportional to our use of roads. If a shipping company pays a toll that will be passed onto the consumer. So if I grow my own lettuce I won’t have to pay for someone else to have their lettuce shipped at a subsidized rate. On the other hand, if I buy lettuce in the store I will have to pay for the shipping costs.

I think this is a good thing. States now have the option of charging tolls, but they certainly don’t have to. Our infrastructure needs work, and allowing states to collect tolls will let the states that need to do so raise money, but it will keep costs down for people in states that don’t.

I am rarely against giving state governments more choices.

Ah, so all women with children who receive welfare or other government assistance are of course “druggie baby Mamas.”

Yes, we have been paying and still are paying. Two words: fuel taxes.

=BlueEyedLady;11963942]I think this is a good thing. States now have the option of charging tolls, but they certainly don’t have to. Our infrastructure needs work, and allowing states to collect tolls will let the states that need to do so raise money, but it will keep costs down for people in states that don’t.

I am rarely against giving state governments more choices.

This is good, except somewhere down the line this money will likely not get spent the way its supposed to.

Then again, let federalism work! :thumbsup:

This is the issue! Where is all that money we are paying in fuel taxes going?

Who is going to be hit the hardest by this?

The hope and change crowd, the middle class and especially the poor.

Exactly

Anybody who drives or receives, for resale, trucked goods. Sales persons, farmers, grocers, dry goods stores, manufacturers, all ending with consumers.

What has happened to the fuel taxes we have been paying for decades indeed!

The people stuck in traffic at the toll booths.

However, think of all the new jobs. Tollbooth construction, tollbooth operators, new class of tickets.

I’m confused I thought we already pay for the roads. What have they don’t with my hard earned money?

Another ‘hurt the poor’ boondoggle. They should be ashamed of themselves.

mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/02/snyder_backs_hike_in_gas_tax_r.html

I guess I’m going to have to stick to locally grown food. As opposed to food imported from strange lands like Ohio :slight_smile:

Peace,
Ed

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.