White robed monks of St. Benedict

I just found 2 things on the web and was amazed. The first was a web site called weddingpriest.com about a former priest now married and doing weddings at the American Catholic church in CA. The second was one belonging to Whiterobedmonks.org who profess the same things and more, even saying that religion is imagination. I have a feeling that my wife’s cousin was married by one of these fakes but I cant be sure. Has anyone ever heard of them before?

Welcome to the forums :slight_smile:

I’m sorry, I am not familar with those groups. Maybe you could post your question on the Ask the Apologists forum?

God Bless,
CM

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Just done a web search. White robed monks seem to be an community who practise Zazen which is Zen Buddhist meditation type, and live so they claim, under the rule of St. Benedict. And claim to be Catholics under the ‘Old, Dutch Catholic Rites’.

And yes, they claim to conduct weddings, funerals and baptisms with ‘Ordained’ Priests. “Beach weddings a speciality” apparently.

As they also seem to be based in Portland, Oregan, are almost certainly some sort of ‘new agey’ type grouping. Be very wary.

The ourladyswarriors.org/ website describes them as follows:

A neo-Gnostic group which incorporates Zen Buddhism concepts. They minister to “the Catholic [who] has outgrown the co-dependent need to adhere to an institutional church: its petty, bureaucratic, authoritarian, dictatorial, patriarchal, unresponsive ways. He or she is no longer co-dependent on religion to tell him or her what to do and how to do it.” Also embracing Jungian psychology and feminist theology (“sophia wisdom”), they will accept any faith (indifferentism): “Membership any church is not a prerequisite to be a White Robed Monk.” Yet they still claim: “The White Robed Monks of St. Benedict are neither Roman Catholic nor Old Catholic, Liberal Catholic nor Eastern Catholic. The White Robed Monks are just Catholic.”

If it’s kookey, or New Age, it seems to be represented in this group, which, in spite of its claims, is just NOT Catholic.

Blessings,

Gerry

Thanks all fo rthe reply’s. They were very helpful.
Bob

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.