White Students Walk Out At Local Catholic School

nbc10.com/news/4287858/detail.html

Many Students Felt Like The Were Called Racist

Tensions have been building up at Paul VI High School since Thomas’ speech on racial justice last week.
Many students and faculty members walked out of the speech offended. They said that she lambasted one student for not knowing his black history and that she insinuated that the students were racist.

It said that a majority of those students and parents were offended by the speech and the diocese was going to tell the secretary of state that it felt the tone was inappropriate for a high school setting and that a majority of the students felt disrespected* by the speech.*

disrespected??? Is that a real word now?

Another “qualified” NJ “public servant” with a hate-filled agenda. NJ taxpayers get what they deserve since they keep voting ethically challenged democrats and unprincipled republicans to state office.

I am an American of Irish Catholic descent - I AM NOT WHITE!

Color coding human beings is racist.

What makes Afro-American history more of a priority over Italian American history, Chinese American history, Irish American history, Swedish American history, right on down the line of all ethnic groups?

The Afro-American is just another ethnic group no different than all the rest.

Is there a link to what was actually said by the speaker?

[quote=Kevin Walker]I am an American of Irish Catholic descent - I AM NOT WHITE!
[/quote]

Surely you are of celtic ancestry and so, can be categorized by race. Or perhaps you are one of the “black Irish,” the descendant of those Spaniards who washed onto Ireland after the defeat of the Armada and remained, marrying Celtic women. And they can be categorized by race - Ibero-celtic.

I don’t think any of us can escape how we are categorized.

[quote=mommy]nbc10.com/news/4287858/detail.html

Many Students Felt Like The Were Called Racist

Tensions have been building up at Paul VI High School since Thomas’ speech on racial justice last week.
Many students and faculty members walked out of the speech offended. They said that she lambasted one student for not knowing his black history and that she insinuated that the students were racist.
[/quote]

Too many people are in denial that so much progress has been made in terms of equalizing America since the 1960s. They are in denial and don’t want to believe that racism just isn’t as big of a problem as it used to be. And in the grand scheme of problems, it has actually dropped significantly in the national eye, mostly because most whites view blacks as equals and vice versa. Unfortunately, some people – like the student who put the letter in the black girl’s locker and maybe also this secretary of state, I don’t know because I don’t know her comments – would prefer to perpetuate racism and keep fighting.

I think that there is a lot of underlying racism in this country. My husband works for the county department of jobs and family services and according to him there is a lot of behind the scenes racism among the workers there. It makes him just as sick as their pro-abortion views. If this wasn’t such a sensitive issue, it would not have ignited such a passionate response. We still have a lot of work to do to purge racism from our midst. There are so many factors, and it goes both ways. Of course it’s just another excuse for people to harbor hatred in their hearts. Color, nationality, religion, political party, etc. All are sources of potential hatred. This secretary of state should have had more sense then that. And I am disappointed in such a reaction at a Catholic School. But, I suppose it does go to show that racial divides run deep and past misdeeds die hard (for both sides) :frowning:

[quote=Richardols]Surely you are of celtic ancestry and so, can be categorized by race. Or perhaps you are one of the “black Irish,” the descendant of those Spaniards who washed onto Ireland after the defeat of the Armada and remained, marrying Celtic women. And they can be categorized by race - Ibero-celtic.

[/quote]

I reject your fatalism, we can escape how we are categorized, its called the VOTE.

I am of Celtic ancestry, and that is not white.

[quote=Kevin Walker]I am an American of Irish Catholic descent - I AM NOT WHITE!

Color coding human beings is racist.

What makes Afro-American history more of a priority over Italian American history, Chinese American history, Irish American history, Swedish American history, right on down the line of all ethnic groups?

The Afro-American is just another ethnic group no different than all the rest.
[/quote]

Try coming down to Texas–you won’t be called white, you’ll be called “Anglo”. I gnash my teeth whenever someone refers to me like that. To me it’s even worse than being called white. It’s like being assigned a tribe. We don’t go around calling black people Zulus or Ubanges, do we? Why should white people be assigned a tribe?

[quote=legeorge]I think that there is a lot of underlying racism in this country. My husband works for the county department of jobs and family services and according to him there is a lot of behind the scenes racism among the workers there. It makes him just as sick as their pro-abortion views. If this wasn’t such a sensitive issue, it would not have ignited such a passionate response. We still have a lot of work to do to purge racism from our midst. There are so many factors, and it goes both ways. Of course it’s just another excuse for people to harbor hatred in their hearts. Color, nationality, religion, political party, etc. All are sources of potential hatred. This secretary of state should have had more sense then that. And I am disappointed in such a reaction at a Catholic School. But, I suppose it does go to show that racial divides run deep and past misdeeds die hard (for both sides) :frowning:
[/quote]

Are the workers of various races? I think today you’d find just as much or even more racism among “Black” people than among “White” people. You’d have to be in denial not to see that.

[quote=StJeanneDArc]Try coming down to Texas–you won’t be called white, you’ll be called “Anglo”. I gnash my teeth whenever someone refers to me like that. To me it’s even worse than being called white. It’s like being assigned a tribe. We don’t go around calling black people Zulus or Ubanges, do we? Why should white people be assigned a tribe?
[/quote]

Perhaps the term Europen American is best? African American is fashionable today, so most Caucasian folks are of European ancestory so why not start the fashion of European American?

[quote=Kevin Walker]I am of Celtic ancestry, and that is not white.
[/quote]

Better look in a mirror. That light pinkish coloring marks you as “white” even if you reject it.

[quote=fix]Perhaps the term Europen American is best? African American is fashionable today, so most Caucasian folks are of European ancestory so why not start the fashion of European American?
[/quote]

I don’t think it would go over because “European-Americans” already categorize themselves more finely as Irish-American, Italian-American, etc. No need to use a broader term.

[quote=Richardols]I don’t think it would go over because “European-Americans” already categorize themselves more finely as Irish-American, Italian-American, etc. No need to use a broader term.
[/quote]

I was partly joking because I always find it interesting that Black people use the term African American when Africa is not a single unified country. It would seem that the same logic should apply to Caucasians?

[quote=fix]Perhaps the term Europen American is best? African American is fashionable today, so most Caucasian folks are of European ancestory so why not start the fashion of European American?
[/quote]

A classmate in college who is from Chicago told us of how, when it was fashionable among black kids to wear a necklace with an African continent colored red/gree/black, he would wear an European continent on a necklace with the colors red/white/blue in “solidarity with the repressed Basques”. Fortunately for him none of his black classmates paid much attention to him.

Cheers

[quote=Richardols]Surely you are of celtic ancestry and so, can be categorized by race. Or perhaps you are one of the “black Irish,” the descendant of those Spaniards who washed onto Ireland after the defeat of the Armada and remained, marrying Celtic women. And they can be categorized by race - Ibero-celtic.

[/quote]

What race is Iberoceltic: Latino or White?

[quote=Richardols]Better look in a mirror. That light pinkish coloring marks you as “white” even if you reject it.
[/quote]

Color coding human beings is racist. Are you a racist?

[quote=condan]What race is Iberoceltic: Latino or White?
[/quote]

Why should it matter? What’s wrong with being a color-blind society?

[/quote]

That’s a good thought, but won’t work in this case. You see, the reason for using the word “Anglo” is to distinguish from that other phony race classification known as “Hispanic”. Many, many so-called Hispanics are European-American, so that label won’t offer the distinction desired by the politically correct elite.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.