White teen killed by black cop in Alabama mirrors Ferguson

Washington Times:

White teen killed by black cop in Alabama mirrors Ferguson

A two-year-old case involving the shooting death of an unarmed 18-year-old white man by a black police officer is gaining attention on social media in the wake of this week’s protests and rioting in Ferguson, Missouri.Gilbert Collar, a white, unarmed 18-year-old under the influence of drugs was shot and killed Oct. 6, 2012, by Officer Trevis Austin, who is black, in Mobile, Alabama. Despite public pressure for an indictment, a Mobile County grand jury refused to bring charges against Officer Austin, concluding that the officer acted in self-defense.
The circumstances mirror those of the Aug. 9 shooting death of Michael Brown, a black unarmed 18-year-old under the influence of drugs by Officer Darren Wilson, who is white, in Ferguson.
[LEFT]
A St. Louis County grand jury’s decision Monday not to indict the officer ignited violence and looting in Ferguson and days of protests nationwide against racial injustice.
The discrepancy in the reaction to and coverage of the two grand jury decisions has not been lost on social media, where critics are citing the Collar case to counter those who say Brown was the victim of racism in both law enforcement and judicial system.
[LEFT]
[snip]

Critics also note there has been no rioting or sustained protest in Mobile, even though the slightly built Collar, unlike Brown, never touched the officer and, because he was naked when he was shot, was more obviously unarmed.
Both shooting victims were found with marijuana in their systems.
“There’s riots for #MikeBrown but none for #GilCollar,” said one commenter, @samstuff, in a Wednesday post on Twitter.
“Nobody burnt buildings to the ground for them,” said commenter Gomer Pyle on Twitter, referring to Collar and Dillon Taylor, a white 20-year-old shot Aug. 11 by a minority police officer in Utah. “You never even heard of them until now.”
Others have pointed to the cases as evidence that police are routinely using excessive force against young men no matter what their race. (Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!)

Not holding my breath waiting for an indictment.

[/LEFT]

[LEFT][LEFT]
[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

Neither teen should have been shot dead, particularly a naked one. I cannot find any details of the actual case.

Both teens seem to have been mentally unstable whilst under the influence of MJ, so were not acting in their right minds. Mental pyschosis is now becoming more and more commonplace with pot smokers, particularly teenagers.

Both teens should have been arrested and put into rehab/jail.

It’s very doubtful there will be an indictment against the officer, as it could set an unwanted precedent.

So where is the rioting?
Surely this person’s life was just as precious to the rioters as was Brown’s…right?

Authorities said Collar, a 5-foot-7, 140-pound high school wrestler in his first semester of college, was on LSD when he moved aggressively toward the officer in an athletic stance, prompting the shooting. But surveillance video shows the student never tried to grab the officer’s weapon or got within 4 or 5 feet of Austin.

huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/15/gil-collar-shooting-trevis-austin-police_n_1965876.html

2 year old article.

It seems we have a problem, these shootings may be justified within the guidelines but maybe the guidelines need some revisions.

Bingo!
That’s what I’ve been thinking for a long time. How often do we hear shootings were “within guidelines” and the same excuses; “failure to obey a police order”, “made a furtive movement”, &c?

University Police appear to me in most cases, to be a bit more lenient and liberal, a bit of a branch of maybe the main police-department in a city.

It certainly would freak one out if a naked person out on the street, confronted someone but it seems like this Gilbert Collar, the Alabama student, did this right outside of the police station in Alabama. I’m not sure if it was night or day.

Cochran said he believed it was proper for the officer to go outside with his gun drawn after Collar repeatedly banged on windows at the campus police station, but he hasn’t said whether he thought the shooting was justified.

Link in my prior post.

Quote:
Cochran said he believed it was proper for the officer to go outside with his gun drawn after Collar repeatedly banged on windows at the campus police station, but he hasn’t said whether he thought the shooting was justified.

I didn’t read the link you posted but from the insert you posted above - and I’m not wanting to appear facetious - but this is the time to call out the ‘yellow vans’ as they are called in Scotland. I.E. the vans come to take you away in a straight jacket.

Absolutely ridiculous that a naked teenager could be seen as a threat that requires to be shot and killed.

It is such a travesty and waste of young lives whereby ‘unarmed’ ‘off their heads’ teenagers are not handled in a more humane manner - no matter how aggressive they seem to be…

A naked teen still has the capabilities of taking the officers gun and using it on the officer.

Just saying.

Someone is knocking on the windows at 2 AM in the morning and one walks out and finds a naked male within 5-6 feet of them. This is not a reason to shoot someone but it would certainly unnerve a lot of people. No, it’s not a reason to shoot. Still, if I were in that position, I’d want a large baton, nightstick to deal with the person.

If it is nighttime, obviously, you might not be able to see the person well but I don’t know what time of the day was. It was probably at nighttime though if this person, Collar, was in an altered state.

Quite true, then don’t go out with the gun, Leave it behind or in it’s holster. Call the mental health services to come and get him or more police back up to restrain the teenager, if he was pyschotic.

Why go out at 2 am if there may be an unknown threat outside.

The person knocking on the window could have been in full body amour with a submachine gun and shot the officer dead when he opened the door. It would be assumed therefore (I haven’t read the link) that the officer must have seen the guy through the window, before he went out the door and knew he was naked.

Now, I don’t think you are being realistic. The policeman would not know who was outside.

I’ll tell you, if someone is beating on your windows in the middle of the night, most people are going to call the police. Guess what? He was doing this to the police. Again, I don’t know what time of day this happened, it seems to be on video but of course, we haven’t been shown the video because Collar is naked.

But one attorney says perhaps Collar was looking for help.

He said the video does not contain audio, but it was obvious Collar and the officer were talking.

“The fact that he came to the police station indicates that he was not necessarily looking for trouble. In fact, I think he was looking for help,” Beasley said.

cbsnews.com/news/gil-collar-shooting-lawyer-says-surveillance-video-shows-student-shooting-wasnt-justified/

Who are the police going to call? The police.

This was a college campus seemingly. I’ll bet it was at night, the doors of the police department were likely locked. He knocked on the windows.

This probably was not a large police department though one of the articles seems to say they have 33 persons on staff. No, a police officer would be in his rights to cautiously go out the door to see what was happening.

commentary

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.