Whitney Houston How should she be remembered by Catholics

This post was inspired by “The ranting of a Whitney"s fan” post

There has been much negativity when talking about Whitney Houston I believe from the Catholic perspective she should be remembered in a positive light. She was more then “just an addict”

A person is much more then just the way how and why they died. My wife and I both were sad when we heard the news of the death of Whitney Houston. I think for many of us who went to Middle School, High School, College in the 80’s and 90’s she was the anti Madonna. Her lyrics were clean, she did not mock the Catholic Church, her songs were always up lifting and often Christian. The film the “Preacher’s wife” was a Pro Christian and Pro marriage film.

Even as her personal failings got the best of her and her life and career started to crumble around her she continued to keep her lyrics clean and continued to thank her “Lord and Savior Jesus Christ” .

The most important thing to remember she was one of the few entertainers who took a stand for the unborn. Please read the post from

“Rock For Life” group of Pro-life Rock Bands

google
Whitney Houston’s pro-life song, Miracle
by Erik Whittington

These are two comments left at her video on youtube

“I wanna thank Whitney for singing this song, If it wasn’t for this song I would have been dead. My mother would’ve of had an abortion with my twin sister and I. My mother listened to this song and changed her mind and she kept my sister and I, and because of Whitney Houston my mother named me Whitney. RIP”

“I prayed to God to let the blessing inside of me live to be strong and healthy. My husband wasn’t acting right and I just prayed during my pregnancy. My mom lived in another state, she called almost everyday. I loved Whitney since the very first album and this song was on repeat. In 1994, my son was born, I named him Chris, he is the love of my life. Thank you Whitney for everything, never forgotten. Peace”

I also think of what the late Henry Hyde ( who had is own personal issues) said

"When the time comes as it surely will, when we face that awesome moment, the final judgment,I’ve often thought, as Fulton Sheen wrote, that it is a terrible moment of loneliness. You have noadvocates, you are there alone standing before God and a terror will rip through your soul likenothing you can imagine. But I really think that those in the pro-life movement will not be alone. Ithink there will be a chorus of voices that have never been heard in this world but are heard beautifully and clearly in the next world and they will plead for everyone who has been in thismovement. They will say to God, "Spare him because he loved us, " and God will look at you and say not, “Did you succeed?” but "Did you try? "

Finally I ask that you watch “I Look to You” Whitney Houston
on youtube I think you will find it moving

She should be remembered as just another human being who had great struggles in this life. She sure had a wonderful voice, but then again we all have gifts from God. Some gifts just allow one to make more money than others, but such is life.

I agree with you, massknight.

We can criticise her actions and her mistakes but not her as a person. She was lost and got caught up in a lifestyle that destroyed her, but it appears that deep down in her heart she loved God more than with just words but in deeds as well, and I pray for the salvation of her soul.

Ditto.
Great summing up, and i can`t think of anything to add.
“Eternal rest grant unto her, O Lord…”

Can`t help thinking of Jimi Hendrix.

I don't have anything interesting to add. I just wanted to tell you this is a nice post and I'm grateful you posted it. :hug1:

I felt compelled to pray for her from the very moment I heard of her untimely death, and I will do so especially tomorrow – Mercy Sunday. She was born on the feast of a great saint, st. Edith Stein, and died on the feast of Our Lady of Lourdes… I believe she is in God’s Loving Hands. Many of her songs were/are an inspiration to me… Rest in God’s Heart, Whitney!

I never thought about the Our Lady of Lourdes before very interesting in the Miracle video there is a picture of our lady of guadulape she was born the day after a feast of Mary and she sang a song honoring Mary “Who could Imagine a King”

thank you

the following comment was left at youtube I thought relevant

A few months ago this song talked me out of doing an abortion. Sitting in the waiting room and this song came on, I couldn’t help but be in tears an get myself up outta there…
Don’t ever throw away a miracle

Yes, lovely post. Even before I read your post, I still thought her death was tragic. Like Michael Jackson, Heath Ledger, Brittany Murphy - whether or not the demise is somewhat of their own making, no person deserves the vitriol that gets thrown at these children of God in death, imperfect humans though they may be.

I agree we are all imperfect thank you for th nice response

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.