Who "accuses us"?

In the Book of Revelations, in Chapter 12, 10 And I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, "Now the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren has been thrown down, who accuses them day and night before our God. (Revelation (RSV) 12). So, anytime I feel “accused” of anything, I believe it is Satan and dismiss it.

In John 5: Do not think that I shall accuse you to the Father; it is Moses who accuses you, on whom you set your hope.

So can if I experience accusations they are from the “evil one” but someone righteous can be “accusing me” before the throne of God as well as someone else can be praying for me?

Job chapter 9 also speaks about an “accuser”:
Though I am innocent, I cannot answer him; I must appeal for mercy to my accuser.
16 If I summoned him and he answered me, I would not believe that he was listening to my voice.
17 For he crushes me with a tempest, and multiplies my wounds without cause;
18 he will not let me get my breath, but fills me with bitterness.
19 If it is a contest of strength, behold him! If it is a matter of justice, who can summon him?
20 Though I am innocent, my own mouth would condemn me; though I am blameless, he would prove me perverse.
21 I am blameless; I regard not myself; I loathe my life.

Regards,
Terry D.

The Gospel according to John has many elements of a court case, complete with witnesses, accusers, evidence, and (finally) a judge seated on his bench--Jesus (Jn 19:13). But it also has Jesus often saying things like "I do not judge you--the word I spoke (or Moses) judges you." (as you quote from Jn 5)

I think the accuser in the book of Revelations is Satan, the adversary.

But the accusations are a sign of our sin--so "Settle with your opponent quickly while on the way to court with him. Otherwise your opponent will hand you over to the judge, and the judge will hand you over to the guard, and you will be thrown into prison." That is, be reconciled to Christ! (2 Cor 5:20--6:2)

[quote="Terry_Ypsilanti, post:1, topic:318554"]
In the Book of Revelations, in Chapter 12, 10 And I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, "Now the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren has been thrown down, who accuses them day and night before our God. (Revelation (RSV) 12). So, anytime I feel "accused" of anything, I believe it is Satan and dismiss it.

[/quote]

In Zecharias 3:1-2 the Prophet has a vision of the devil as an accuser of Joshua.

1 Another vision the Lord shewed me; here was an angel of his, and before this angel stood the high priest Josue, with the Accuser at his right hand bringing accusation against him. 2 But to the Accuser the divine answer came, The Lord rebuke thee, Satan; the Lord, that makes choice of Jerusalem, rebuke thee! What, is not this a brand saved from the embers?

In John 5: Do not think that I shall accuse you to the Father; it is Moses who accuses you, on whom you set your hope.

So can if I experience accusations they are from the "evil one" but someone righteous can be "accusing me" before the throne of God as well as someone else can be praying for me?

[/quote]

St. Thomas Aquinas explains Moses judges the Jews who persecuted Christ in two ways, first as they transgressed his commandments and second as it appears the Saints will have authority in the Last Judgement.

835 Consequently he adds: The one who accuses you is Moses, in whom you place your trust, because you believe you are saved through his precepts. Moses accuses them in two ways. Materially, because they deserved to be accused for transgressing his commands: “Those who have sinned under the law, will be judged by the law” (Rom 2:12). Again, Moses accuses them because he and the other saints will have authority in the judgment: “The two-edged swords will be in their hands” (Ps 149:6).

Job chapter 9 also speaks about an "accuser":
Though I am innocent, I cannot answer him; I must appeal for mercy to my accuser.
16 If I summoned him and he answered me, I would not believe that he was listening to my voice.
17 For he crushes me with a tempest, and multiplies my wounds without cause;
18 he will not let me get my breath, but fills me with bitterness.
19 If it is a contest of strength, behold him! If it is a matter of justice, who can summon him?
20 Though I am innocent, my own mouth would condemn me; though I am blameless, he would prove me perverse.
21 I am blameless; I regard not myself; I loathe my life.

Regards,
Terry D.

[/quote]

The word "judge" is used in some translations, and the Commentary on Job by Pope St. Gregory the Great emphasizes God often declares judgements us with His words.

• 27. As though he said in plain words, ‘If that created being is unable to take thought of Him, which is not burthened by the flesh, in what spirit do I dispute about His judgments, who am straitened by the burthen of corruption?’ But as God's words to us are oftentimes His judgments, declaring the sentence of our actions, so our words to God are the deeds which we set forth; but man ‘cannot reason with God in his words,’ in that, in the eye of His exact judgment, he maintains no assurance in his actions. Hence it is fitly added,

Ver. 15. Who, though I possessed any thing righteous, yet would I not answer, but I would make supplication to my Judge.*

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.