Who answers the Rosary?

I am a bit confused when it comes to praying to the Virgin Mary. We ask her to intercede for us, but how is it possible that she answers our prayers? Isn’t it God who answers our prayers?

This question came up when I read this part of an article about the Rosary:

“It is widely known that Our Lady answers seemingly impossible intentions to those who are first beginning to pray the Rosary. This is her way of drawing you closer to Her and to Jesus. If you are praying your first Rosary, or returning to the Rosary after years of not talking to Our Lady, ask for something big, spectacular, “impossible.” She’ll often surprise you.” (found in: catholicity. com)

Same question came up with the show “La Rosa de Guadalupe.” They all pray to Mary and then thank her when the miracles they asked for happen.

ONLY God can work miracles. But it is through Our Lady bringing our requests to Him that causes them to be granted. Her petition to God along with ours helps.

We thank Immaculate Mary for her miracles because she gives us grace and presents our petitions to her son, without her prayers for us, the miracle probably would have never happened. Mary’s prayers are much more powerful than ours because she’s a Saint in heaven and the Holy Mother of God. So as to who answers the Rosary, Our Lady and the Lord answer. We are praising Our Lady and thanking the Lord for her while offering up the Rosary, while the Blessed Virgin hears our prayer and presents it to the Lord who answers our prayer.

I was prepared to offer an explanation but Dallas r just did it better than I would have. Kudos to Dallas r. :slight_smile:

No Mary does not give us grace.

She lifts our prayers to her son, who gives us grace.

We can be led to Grace by Mary and other saints, but only God can give Grace.

Our Lady asks her Son on our behalf and Jesus wont say no to His Mother unless its not for our good.

Mary is the co-Redemptrix/Mediatrix/advocate.

I will have to respectfully disagree. When we pray the Hail Mary, we say “full of grace”. Mary shares her God-given grace with us, her servants. Here is a great explanation by Father William G. Most.

Closely related to the Catholic teaching on Mary’s cooperation in the redemption is the teaching that, with through and under her Son, she is Mediatrix of all graces. What exactly does this mean?

The term Mediatrix in itself could refer to either the objective redemption (the once-for-all earning a title to grace for all men), to the subjective redemption (the distribution of this grace to individual men), or to both. It is most usual to use it to refer only to subjective redemption, i.e. , the process of giving out the fruits of the objective redemption, throughout all centuries. We must consider whether or not the term Mediatrix applies to all graces or only to some. We will ask also about the nature of the mediation: is it only by way of intercession, that is, does Mary simply pray to her Son that he may give us grace, or does God also use her as an instrument in distributing grace.

To begin, we can say without doubt that the title “Mediatrix” is justified, and applies to all graces for certain, by her cooperation in acquiring all graces on Calvary.

The Second Vatican Council (Lumen gentium ## 61-62), said:

… in suffering with Him as He died on the cross, she cooperated in the work of the Savior, in an altogether singular way, by obedience, faith, hope, and burning love, to restore supernatural life to souls. As a result she is our Mother in the order of grace.

This motherhood of Mary in the economy of grace lasts without interruption, from the consent which she gave in faith at the annunciation, and which she unhesitatingly bore with under the cross, even to the perpetual consummation of all the elect. For after being assumed into heaven, she has not put aside this saving function, but by her manifold intercession, she continues to win the gifts of eternal salvation for us. By her motherly love, she takes care of the brothers of her Son who are still in pilgrimage and in dangers and difficulties, until they be led through to the happy fatherland. For this reason, the Blessed Virgin is invoked in the Church under the titles of Advocate, Auxiliatrix, Adiutrix, and Mediatrix. This however it to be so understood that it takes nothing away, or adds nothing to the dignity and efficacy of Christ the one Mediator. For no creature can ever be put on the same level with the Incarnate Word and Redeemer…"

We notice that Vatican II did not add the words “of all graces.” However, as many papal texts point out, Mary’s role in dispensation flows logically from her role in acquiring all graces. Further, the Council itself added a note on the above passage, in which it refers us to the texts of Leo XIII, Adiutricem populi, St. Pius X, Ad diem illum, Pius XI, Miserentissimus Redemptor, and Pius XII, Radiomessage to Fatima.

Leo XIII, in the text referred to, spoke of her, as we saw above, as having “practically limitless power.” St. Pius X said she was the "dispensatrix of all the gifts, and is the “neck” connecting the Head of the Mystical Body to the Members. But all power flows through the neck. Pius XII said “Her kingdom is as vast as that of her Son and God, since nothing is excluded from her dominion.” These and many other texts speak in varied ways of Mary as Mediatrix of all graces, so often that the teaching has become infallible.

Also, thank you @Zaccheus

We say full of grace because the angel proclaimed the grace that Godd bestowed on her…she is the recipient not the provider of grace…we also receive Grace, but we, nor Mary, nor the other Saints can give grace…but again can only lead people to the grace that only can be given by God.

If my wealthy father gives me the privilege of choosing some of the people to whom he will make charitable donations, the money is still his but I get to dispense some of it.
God gives the grace but Jesus permits the Virgin Mary to take a hand in dispensing it.

Again, wrong…grace like salvation comes only from God…we can lead other’s to God, so he can give them grace, but the grace he gives us cannot be transferred to amother.

Grace and salvation come only from God. Like I said: God gives the grace.

Jesus permits the Virgin Mary to take a hand in dispensing the grace that comes from God.

Still…no…she does not dispense grace, she only leads to the font of grace, which is Christ Jesus.

Consider several analogies. The priest consecrates the Eucharist at Mass, acting in the person of Christ. He acts as a mediator; without him, communion could not be distributed. In confession, again acting in the person of Christ, the priest acts as mediator, dispensing absolution and restoring grace. In Baptism, the priest acts as mediator in bringing the new Christian into a life of grace. Ephesians 4:29 tells us that our words are to be edifying so as to give grace to those who hear us. We are mediators to one another.

In a similar way, all salvific grace is earned by and supplied by Jesus, yet it can be distributed by his mother.

Making peace with the mediatrix.

Also, here is an article by Fr. Dwight Longenecker on the topic:

Mary, mother of salvation.

Did @Zaccheus and @JimG help you to understand your objection @Hereiam ? I would be happy to go more “in-depth” if you would like :slight_smile:

I understand my objection quite well. Thanks.

I think it’s more accurate to say the Queen of Heaven dispenses grace to us. The grace she dispenses comes exclusively from the Holy Trinity. The Holy Theotokos is NOT the source of grace, she merely distributes it to the Church Militant and Penitent. Ora pro nobis Sancta Dei Genetrix, ut digni efficiamur promissionibus Christi.

Catholics BELIEVE that ALL prayers End with GOD, Mary & the Saints are Intercessors on our behalf.

God Bless you

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.