Who are the 144,000?

Who does this refer to in Scripture?

Jehovah’s Witness knocked on my door an hour ago. They kept referring to this number of people are the only ones entering Heaven. Had no idea what they were on about.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

I would like an answer to this question myself. I have always wondered who the 144,000 are.

It is a symbolic number meaning a great multitude, not a precise count.

I always understood that it was 144,000 - the ones the JWs consider to be the ‘anointed’ ones, most of whom have already died. Wiki’s page on JWs is pretty comprehensive for those of us who know very little about this religion.

**RNAB

Rev 5:10-11**
You made them a kingdom and priests for our God, and they will reign on earth.” I looked again and heard the voices of many angels who surrounded the throne and the living creatures and the elders. They were countless in number, *

• Countless: literally, “100,000,000 plus 1,000,000,” used by the author to express infinity.

Rev 7:1-8
I heard the number of those who had been marked with the seal, one hundred and forty-four thousand marked from every tribe of the Israelites:

[LIST]
*]twelve thousand were marked from the tribe of Judah,
*]twelve thousand from the tribe of Reuben,
*]twelve thousand from the tribe of Gad,
*]twelve thousand from the tribe of Asher,
*]twelve thousand from the tribe of Naphtali,
*]twelve thousand from the tribe of Manasseh,
*]twelve thousand from the tribe of Simeon,
*]twelve thousand from the tribe of Levi,
*]twelve thousand from the tribe of Issachar,
*]twelve thousand from the tribe of Zebulun,
*]twelve thousand from the tribe of Joseph, and
*]twelve thousand were marked from the tribe of Benjamin.
[/LIST]

• 7:49] One hundred and forty-four thousand: the square of twelve (the number of Israel’s tribes) multiplied by a thousand, symbolic of the new Israel (cf. Rev 14:15; Gal 6:16; Jas 1:1) that embraces people from every nation, race, people, and tongue (Rev 7:9).

144,000 = 1+4+4 = 9

Therefore, the 144,000 are the ones who have correctly manifested the archetype symbolized by the number 9 within themselves.

Revelation 14:4-5 These are the sons who have kept their virginity and not been defiled with women; they follow the Lamb wherever he goes; they, out of all people, have been redeemed to be the first-fruits for God and for the Lamb. No lie was found in their mouths and no fault can be found in them.

Sounds like people going straight to Heaven whereas the large number may need to go to Purgatory unless they are all to be martyred?

I’m not sure who the other 143,999 are.

They are several things

the new Israel

the new 12 tribes

the new priesthood

the new kings

the saints

the bride

the new jerusalem

the kingdom of Christ

and so on …

but in short, the disciples of Christ

If only 144,000 JW’s are going to Heaven, then what’s gonna happen to the rest of them? I sure wouldn’t want to believe that way!. Similar to the Protestant "left behind’ belief. Maybe someone should tell them, “The TRUTH will set you free” God Bless, Memaw

Correct! It is the number twelve squared.

Sadly, the Jehovah’s Witnesses are quite confused and need our prayers. There are many other errors in their thinking as well. They work hard to bring Catholics away from the faith.

They need our prayers.

JWs believe that the rest of them will be on the earth in a state of happiness.

They believe in the annihilation of the wicked…and also believe in “soul sleep” until the day of resurrection at the end of the world. They do not believe that Jesus Christ is God, and they also believe that Jesus was Michael the Angel before he was Jesus.

They don’t tell others of this all at once. When the start to get you to go to their Kingdom Hall a process begins to take you away from the Truth.

You can do a search for Catholic sites that explain about their errors.

Lord, help them to see the Truth!

There is a very good explanation about Jehovah’s Witnesses at this site:

ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/JWBELIEV.HTM

I could go through them all but I don’t have time. I can make start… There is of course me and you. (Just to keep your interest…) Then there are my wife and my kids. There is considerable escatological debate about my mother in law. Then there is Uncle Jim. (Just as well he was predestined as he drinks like a fish…) But it will depend on who you ask.

12 squared multiplied by 1000

Thank you! (Math is not my forte! :slight_smile: )

See #5 here…
catholic.com/tracts/more-stumpers-for-the-jehovahs-witnesses

also this explains…
catholic.com/tracts/history-of-the-jehovahs-witnesses

Peace!!!

They do not believe the body of Jesus Christ was resurrected :hmmm:

So what is the difference between their idea of Heaven and their idea of the happiness on earth? Sounds similar?

Why don’t JW’s get jealous that they want to ascend from earthly happiness to Heaven?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.