Who are the 7 archangels? I keep on reading different answers

and I am not sure who to believe. Also, is it true that you aren’t suppose to wear any (or have any statues) of angels? I was told this by a friend once who says it’s in the bible.

I am not sure where to post these questions so if it’s in the wrong forum section, I apologize.

thanks in advance

There is no “official” answer to this question.

Michael is the only one in the Scriptures that is called an archangel. Gabriel and Raphael also appear in the Scriptures but are only called angels.

The others are a matter of Tradition and come from various sources. Their names are not a matter of Dogma nor is it a matter of Dogma that there are seven archangels.

and I am not sure who to believe. Also, is it true that you aren’t suppose to wear any (or have any statues) of angels? I was told this by a friend once who says it’s in the bible.

**The Bible itself ordered to have images of angels made to decorate the Tabernacle, Temple, and adorn the top of the Ark of the Covenant.

Did your friend know that?

According to Orthodox tradition, the Archangels are Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, Uriel, Salathiel, Jegudiel, and Barachiel.**

wow, thanks for your very helpful replies everyone!

I think I am going to buy a few angel charms now to put on a bracelet I have. :slight_smile:

And just why would you wear an angel charm as an adornment on your bracelet?

According to Orthodox tradition, the Archangels are Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, Uriel, Salathiel, Jegudiel, and Barachiel.

Where does that come from, bpbasilphx? I’m just curious. In our Catholic tradition, we only acknowledge having the names of three, correct?

Someday I will PM you about the Zoghby Initiative…everything I read online confuses the heck out of me, and every time I come on here it sits in your signature…mocking me…:stuck_out_tongue:

I can’t remember reading about Raphael in the Scriptures?
I might remember incorrectly, though:blush:

Raphael is central to the book of Tobit.

Because it’s a jewelry of faith bracelet and it has St Michael and other saints on it but I want an angel charm to represent other angels as well. Why do you question? I only ask because in my original post I asked about “wearing” angels and I took your reply as being okay. Please let me know your thoughts because I don’t want to do something that is wrong.

I was going to order a charm (maybe it’s considered a medal) from catholiccompany.com/

I found out about that site from this post forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=162790&highlight=jewelry

Raphael is the angel that guides Tobias in the OT book of Tobit. It is one of the 7 deutrocanonical books that is not in the Lutheran Bible. It is a great story that speaks of faith in God and the power of prayer. Look it up on an online Bible source!

In LATIN tradition, you might know the names of only three (pace, Walking Home)!

Eastern Catholic follows the same tradtion in this regard, though.

Their names are listed in the PROLOGUE, as edited by St. Nicholas Velimirovic. This is a book that corresponds to the Roman Martyrology.

Their names are listed in the PROLOGUE, as edited by St. Nicholas Velimirovic. This is a book that corresponds to the Roman Martyrology

Well, where did they come from before that? Hebrew Tradition?

…and I’m usually so good about trying not to generalize Roman practices to the rest of The Church…

Did we all forget that we know the names of FOUR angels. Although only three are in heaven with the Lord. I think you know the many names of the OTHER angel who is no longer in heaven!

If you really love angels, and who doesn’t, there’s an inexpensive book from Tan
publishers called St. Michael and the Angels. It’s full of Catholic lore (from approved
sources, as it touts) and its sort of a devotional too, lots of really quaint pictures and
prayers. It’s designed to be read a chapter a day, and if done during the month of
September culminates on the 29th of the month, the feastday of St. Michael (now,
of the archangels Sts. Michael, Gabriel and Raphael) with the last day devoted to Mary,
Queen of the Angels.
You’ll learn a lot of things such as the nine choirs of angels, their attributes and qualities.
For instance, did you know each of the innumerable angels is so unique as to constitute
its own species?

It is one of the 7 deutrocanonical books that is not in the Lutheran Bible.

Actually, when Luther translated the Bible, he included them.

Yes, but not as actual Scripture, more as a historical reference.:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.