Who are the Jesuits?

Here is my next question .Who are the Jesuits, what they do, I need to know about them as much as possible, because they seems to be very important. Can’t find much on the internet…

They are a religious order of priests, founded by St. Ignatius of Loyola, called the “Society of Jesus.” They are commonly called “Jesuits” but that is not their formal name.

See here: CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: The Jesuits (The Society of Jesus)

As much as I disagree with many Jesuits, I’d have to admit they don’t belong in the non-Catholic forum. :wink:

my mom had a ominous tone about them, like they had done something wrong. I didnt ask after that.

had they done something??

According to the like of Jack Chick, they are the secret society behind the Illuminati, the Freemasons, the Communists, the Mafia, Naziism/Fascism, the American Civil War, the assassinations of Lincoln and Kennedy, an the rise of UFO’s.

:whacky: :ehh:

I attended a Jesuit prep school. The Jesuit priests were some of the finest and most brilliant men I have ever known - deeply spiritual and really dedicated to teaching. Can you imagine going to high school where every teacher had a PhD? Before one can be ordained a Jesuit priest, he has to earn a doctoral decree - PhD, MD, PsyD, JD, etc. Therefore, the Jesuits are the brain-trust of the Catholic Church.

I always chuckle when I read knuckle-heads like Jack Chick spew this idiocy about Jesuits.

Paul

So they are actually the brain of the Catholic Church?

No; they’re simply one religious order among many in the Church. It’s just that one of their characteristics is education (hence all those Jesuit universities all over the place). So people joke that the Jesuits are the Church’s braintrust.

In the past, was there incident where the Jesuits were killed at night by the Catholics?

Well, like was stated before, they take about 10 years of study BEFORE becoming ordained. Other orders do not require such extensive education. So, they are very educated.

I went to a Jesuit university. St. Ignatius Loyola’s motto was “think with the Church.” Being very educated doesn’t guarantee that one will have the will to “think with the Church.” In fact, some of the most dissident priest I’ve ever known have been Jesuit. When they “think with the Church” they serve the Church very well.

The Jesuits are Catholic. So what do you mean by “the Catholics”?

There have been many Jesuit martyrs. See more here:
Jesuit Martyrs of the 20th Century

Jerry:

To give you a more-serious answer: the Jesuits were used heavily by the RCC during the Counter-Reformation. In some cases they were engineers of the Inquisition. I will alert you that, just as there are Holocaust deniers who question the claim that Germany killed six million Jews during WWII, so also there are Roman Catholic Inquisition-deniers, who minimise the terror of the Inquisition. You will see some of those pop up periodically on this website; look at the evidence, take into account the personal biases of those who would attempt to revise the generally-received account of history, and then use your own judgement as to how convincing their case might be.

In any case, it was the reputation of Jesuits as Inquisitors that made them especially hated in many Protestant countries. Also, the Jesuits became rather political in many cases. For these reason, the order was dissolved for about a century before being allowed to re-establish themselves as primarily a teaching order. The order is particularly influential, though it is dominated by extreme theological liberals (most Jesuits qualify as ‘Catholics in Name Only’–I personally have met two, both in apparent good standing, who rather explicitly denied even believing in God; the Jesuit periodical tends to be an open apologetic for apostasy).

As you perhaps can tell, I have a rather open disdain for what little experience I have with the Order. (I have the same low opinion of a couple of orders of religious Sisters; on the other hand, my contact with the Daughters of St. Paul, for example, or with the Brotherhood of the Franciscans, has been more positive. Bear in mind that I am sharing merely personal impressions). This is not to criticise whatever few Jesuits may be serving their Church faithfully, sincerely, and with honorable intent. The spiritual goals and disciplines of the founder, St. Ignatius of Loyola, seem admirable enough. The Order as a whole, however, seems to have become something less than a Catholic–or even a Christian–association of any sort ought to be. There is, however, nothing particularly ominous or conspiratorial about the Order, in my opinion. And bear in mind also that I am not a Roman Catholic; my brushes with Catholic religious are only occasional and brief.

I’m currently a student in a Jesuit High School. they are a very great and nobel order. They rank among the best teachers in the world.

Here, however, several are very liberal. Even more are very elderly. We need to pray immensely for prayers to the religious life, especially to orders such as the Jesuits, Dominicans, Franciscans, Benedictines, etc.

If you want any Jesuit history, please email me. It’s fascinating:wave:

The Society of Jesus used to be the greatest religious order of priests in the Catholic world. They were founded by St. Ignatius of Loyola, a Spanish nobleman and soldier who later became a priest. The Jesuits focused on missionary work, especialy outside of Europe, but they also won back large portions of Europe for Christ back from the protestants. The Jesuits take the three traditional religious vows- poverty, chastity and obedience- but also take an extra vow of loyalty and obedience directly to the Sovereign Pontiff.

Today however many are quite liberal and are hardly loyal to the Holy Father :frowning:

In retrospect, I regret a good deal of what I wrote in that post. Much of what I said was far too general, uncharitable, and subjective. My apologies. Moderators: please feel free to edit or delete the post as you deem suitable.

the Jesuits because of the higher education required of its members have often been regarded as the intellectuals of the Church, also because so many have been philosophers and theologians. They also have been concerned with education of Catholic youth as their special charism, beginning in the years of the Counter-Reformation when catechesis of Catholic laity and reform of seminary education was a priority. Since they have been at the forefront of Catholic secondary education and colleges, the source of most seminarians, they are associated with education. Story:
As the saints and angels gathered around the manger on Christmas day to adore the newborn Christ Child St. Bernard sat with the Virign Mary and comforted and assisted her, St. Francis gathered the stable animals around him, especially the lambs he brought to amuse the infant. St. Ignatius took Joseph aside and asked him: Have you given any thought to the boy’s education?

Ask Jack Chick

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.