Who are these people? Heretics?

Peace be with you!

I came across this website while searching for some information on the SSPX. sspx-schism.com/main.htm
They are doing some good work disproving SSPX, I think, but at the same time they are talking out of both sides of their mouths. They say that the SSPX is in schism and even call it a cult, and yet they are vehemently opposed to the New Mass and go as far as to say that not only is it not valid, but that it is “displeasing to God”. They nail the SSPX on not believing in the infallibility of the pope (which is hard for me to understand because SSPX are not sedevacantists and papal infallibility was defined in Vatican I) and at the same time claim that the New Mass is not valid…contradition? I think so. The New Mass is celebrated by the pope himself, and these people say it’s not valid but criticize the SSPX at the same time.
What’s everyone else’s take on these guys?

In Christ,
Rand

I took a quick look, and it looks like that information is posted by former SSPX seminarians.

I found the following on their questions page:

I agree that the Catholic Church is in great distress today. This distress leaves us with choices to make. I certainly don’t suggest for a moment that these choices are easy.

I have the good fortune of having a choice of where I can go to Mass. I happen to live in an area where there are Catholic churches of different rites. There are different rites in the Church. Most of us know the Roman rite. This is the rite (or branch) of the Church that had the liturgy in Latin until 1969, and now has imposed a new liturgy which many Catholics reject as being liberal, modernist, etc.

However, other rites have liturgical traditions which are very ancient, going back to one of the twelve Apostles. The Roman rite goes back to St. Peter. The Ukrainian rite, which is the rite of the church which I attend, traces the origins of its liturgy back to the Apostle St. James of Jerusalem.

Anyway, the Ukrainians have not changed their liturgy since Vatican II. I attend the most conservative Ukrainian church in my area.

sspx-schism.com/Questions.htm#SSPX%20grant%20annulments%20Where%20go%20to%20Mass

So it looks like he just thinks the Roman Rite has been corrupted.

hurst

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.