Who are your favorite lesser- known Saints?

I’m not sure if he is well known, but Saint Lorenzo Ruiz.

My faves are:
Saint Great Martyr Catherine
Saint Marina Saint Varvara (Barbara)
Saint Prophet Elli
The less known saint you are asking about is St. Raymond Nonnatus - I found him in a strange game here on CAF where a saint picks you (I will try and post the link if I can find it) and this was my Catholic saint and based on his life story he seemed engaged in a lot of spiritual things troubling me (at that time and in general). I just loved him right after reading his life story.

St Solanus Casey (new, soon to be more well known)

Ok here is how I found my saint:
http://saintsnamegenerator.com/index.php

Just did this again: Got St Peter Ou

Catechist,
Like me. :grin:

Not at all, the Saints who have been elevated to the altars are there mostly for our sake. They are there to serve as as examples of faith to follow, and to show us what God wants us to be. The fact that some are more venerated than others depends largely on the devotion people have to their veneration. So you know, it’s not St. Francis’ fault that he is more known than Blessed Elias del Socorro’s Nieves ( my example) for example. As for saints who you know, don’t get canonized, well their cause was maybe never submitted. A cause needs to be submitted so that all the proper investigations to see if they led a life we should imitate. It’s not like in Heaven they have some extra glory because of their canonization. Everyone holds as much grace as they can hold, so I’m sure there are saints we don’t even know about, who lived quiet lives, who are tremendously close to Our Lord. They are there for us, they really aren’t in heaven biting their nails wondering when they will finally be raised to the altars, or wondering why a certain one of them gets more visits or has more churches built in their honor :sweat_smile:! As in Heaven their love is perfect, they can’t have any kind of envy or competition so they aprobably really happy to see people approach any one of the saints because they know they will be lead to Our Lord in the end. I hope I didn’t misunderstand your question :slight_smile:️! And have a nice day!

St Alexis (a “man” btw, sometimes referred to as the saint under the stairs) and
Blessed Frederic Ozanam

For those unfamiliar:

Alexis was the only son of a rich Roman senator. From his good Christian parents, he learned to be charitable to the poor. Alexis wanted to give up his wealth and honors but his parents had chosen a rich bride for him. Because it was their will, he married her. Yet right on his wedding day, he obtained her permission to leave her for God. Then, in disguise, he traveled to Syria in the East and lived in great poverty near a Church of Our Lady. One day, after seventeen years, a picture of our Blessed Mother spoke to tell the people that this beggar was very holy. She called him “The man of God.” when he became famous, which was the last thing he wanted, he fled back to Rome. He came as a beggar to his own home. His parents did not recognize him, but they were very kind to all poor people and so they let him stay there. In a corner under the stairs, Alexis lived for seventeen years. He used to go out only to pray in church and to teach little children about God. The servants were often very mean to him, and though he could have ended all these sufferings just by telling his father who he was, he chose to say nothing. What great courage and strength of will that took! After Alexis died, his family found a note on his body which told them who he was and how he had lived his life of penance from the day of his wedding until then, for the love of God.

and

Blessed Frederic Ozanam was a lawyer (like me) and the founder of the St. Vincent DePaul Society.

I have a long list of favorite Blesseds (including Bl. Jerzy and Bl. Solanus among others), Venerabili, Servants of God, and even some who have not yet had a cause started, whom I pray to/ for.

But limiting it to actual canonized saints, I would say St. Jose Sanchez del Rio, another Cristero martyr, age 14 when he died, canonized in 2016.

May all the saints and blesseds on this thread please pray for us all.

I know a lot of people pray the St. Gertrude’s Prayer, but very few have read her excellent book, “The Life and Revelations of St. Gertrude the Great.” (Spoiler alert: her prayer for the souls in purgatory involved the recitation of all 150 psalms, plus other stuff.) So, while obviously no saint named “the Great” is going to be an obscure saint— it was cool to be able to read about her genuine insights, rather than reading what people popularly attribute to her, if that makes sense?

Less popular, I like St. Catherine de’Ricci. She’s just someone who really had things together. :slight_smile: She was able to have an amazing interior life, but also have enormous responsibilities. So in addition to all the other spiritual things that you normally think of with a stigmatic/mystic nun, I found her leadership very inspiring.

Cool. My mama’s name was Gertrude (which the nickname for in Spanish is Tulitas>

http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/sermon_st_seraphim.htm

St. Seraphim was friends with a bear, as St. Jerome reportedly was friends with a lion.
I very much like the idea of both of those friendships.

Speaking of animal companions— I loved the story about St. John Bosco (not obscure!) and Grigio! And Grigio’s help was not limited to St. John Bosco-- the Salesian sisters testified that they, too, had received help from Grigio on at least three occasions between 1894-1930. :slight_smile:

She is one of my favorite Saints…I think she was one of the most mystically graced Saints ever. Just an incredible and inspirational life.

First to come to mind is St Mecthilde - the famous Metilda in Dante’s Purgatory.

Cool. I like your topic question.

Saint Anthony of the Desert.

Yes! Doesn’t get much better than St. Anthony of the Desert. I read St. Athanasius’s book about St. Anthony straight through because I was so captivated and motivated. Thanks for the response.

What about “national saints”?
There are saints who raised up the national spirit of one nation, but they are considered enemies of another nation.
Rivers of blood were shed in national-liberating and imperialist wars, and these saints inspired the armies are revered as national saints and national heroes, but another nation considers them enemies of its people.
For some he is a intercessor and a Saint, for others he is the son of hell.

People interpret things for their own interest. For example, let’s look at St. Therese, she loved France with all her heart. Could France have used St. Therese to push the country’s agenda? Sure. It certainly wouldn’t be the first time the church has been ill used. Don’t forget that in the Bible, the devil tempted the Lord using scripture. He literally took the word of God and interpreted it to fit into His plan of tempting the God unto sin. Is it possible that there are saints who dearly loved their country and fought for it ( for example Joan of arc?) Yes! She continues to be the only woman and the only teenager at the head of army. This doesn’t mean that she is not a saint. It is not wrong love and serve your country. Can their image be used, the love and trust people have in them abused by people to serve hate just like the devil used scripture to tempt Our Lord? All day every day. This isn’t the fault of the saint. This is human failure for the most part. This is why it is so important to correct this kind of error when we find it. Will there continue to be abuse? Y s, absolutely, útil the world ends. This is why it is important to learn, to educate others, and to find out the truth. A person is always raised to the altars because of heroic virtue.

Maybe not well known in the USA, but I’m in the Philippines… he’s EVERYWHERE here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.