Who are your favorite novelists?

I’ve been trying some new novelists lately (new to me anyway) and haven’t found any I enjoy as much as my old favorites. Who are your favorites?

www.BillDodds.com

amazon.com/Pope-Bob-ebook/dp/B004EEOHPM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1309906526&sr=1-1

George Orwell.

Apart from that, I only read non-fiction rather than fiction.

I love to read so thought I’d pass on some suggestions. My 2 favorite authors are: Nicholas Sparks and Anita Shreve. My 2 favorite Catholic authors areThomas Merton and Joyce Rupp. I don’t know if you’ve read “Sarah’s Key” by Tatiana De Rosnay. I had seen the movie (it was in French with English subtitles) but liked the book better. I had never read anything by this author but believe she has another book out (can’t remember the name) but hope to get it at my Library.
To be honest, I’m a World War II history “buff” and enjoy books of that era.

So many – St Benedict, Thomas Merton, Katherine Hulme, Rummer Godden and so many others! My Mom used to joke that I would read cereal boxes if I didn’t have anything else to read!

Jorge Luis Borges, James Ellroy, Flannery O’Connor, Fritz Leiber, Ray Bradbury, G.K. Chesterton, Anthony Burgess, T.E.D. Klein, Dorothy Sayers, Fyodor Dostoevskii, Roberty A. Heinlein, Isaac Babel, F. Paul Wilson, Manly Wade Wellman, Evelyn Waugh, C.S. Lewis, John Harvey, William Lindsay Gresham, lots more.

Jules Verne!!! I absolutely love him!

Then Anthony Horowitz and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Jane Austen, Ian McEwan, Arthur Golden, Diane Setterfield, Charlotte Bronte, Susanna Clarke, Leo Tolstoy, Stieg Larsson, Fyodor Dostoyevsky, John Ajvide Lindqvist, Louise May Alcott, Alexandre Dumas, Margaret Mitchell, Sarah Gruen, Harper Lee, Kazuo Ishiguro, James M McCaine, D H Lawrence

Holy cow, I totaly forgot J R R Tolkien and J K Rowling!

J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Ray Bradbury (obviously), Walter M. Miller,Jr., Michael Crichton, Gene Wolfe, Charles Dickens, Larry Niven, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Mark Twain, Jack Vance, George Orwell and I may be forgetting some.

And I think Frank Herbert, Jerry Pournelle, Isaac Asimov, Fritz Leiber, G.K. Chesterton and a few others will join them once I get around to reading their stuff. (Sometimes I have a strong feeling I will love something even before I’ve read it. The feeling is usually right. I’m particularly looking forward to Leiber’s The Big Time, as I’ve always been partial to time travel stories since seeing Back to the Future as a kid.)

John irving!

John Steinbeck is Number One, and then there is a gap to the next group, which would include Twain, Dickens, Joseph Heller, Harper Lee & Robert Heinlein. Others who I enjoy more for their short stories are Arthur Conan Doyle, W.P. Kinsella, O.Henry and Asimov.

Jospeh Conrad, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Dickens.

That's right! How could I forget Harper Lee?

You know I read Mirabai Starrs translation of "The Book of my Life" by Theresa of Avila. I thought she did a fantastic job with the translation. In fact I want to re-read her other works relating to the Saint, which I've read by others and thought were so-so.

As you are a Ray Bradbury fan, I’ll pass on what Arthur Byron Cover, an SF writer who used to own an SF book store in L.A., once said to me that I think is true - he said the film version of Harper Lee’s “To Kill a Mockingbird” is the best adaptation of a Ray Bradbury novel that isn’t a Ray Bradbury novel. The feeling of the secrets of a small town that are only dimly understood by the children, that sense of danger in the night and children running their own separate world alongside the adults - very similar to the feeling in Bradbury’s “Dandelion Wine” and “Something Wicked This Way Comes.”

Besides a lot of what is already mentioned, Alan Paton (just Cry the Beloved Country)

PG Wodehouse - laugh out loud funny

Alexander McCall Smith - thought provoking, funny, beautifully written books set in Botswana
:D

You know, I never thought of it that way. That’s a good point! It’s a pity she didn’t write more, though. I wonder what else she could have given us if she’d chosen to. :slight_smile:

They would have to be Cormac McCarthy and Mary Higgins Clark.

Cormac McCarthy is said to be the greatest living writer. He is the author of The Road (one of my all time favorites), No Country for Old Men, Blood Meridian, All the Pretty Horses. All besides The Road are on my to read list. He also wrote an excellent play on faith and hope called The Sunset Limited which I highly recommend. He is said to be a modern day William Faulkner.

Mary Higgins Clark is a great mystery and suspense writer. She's known as the "Queen of Suspense". I love her. Her most famous books and my favorites is too long a list to write, but I will write a couple. Where are the Children?, Daddy's Little Girl, Silent Night, No Place Like Home, and I Heard that Song Before. All of these are wonderful books. And she has many more!

Every other year or so, Mary Higgins Clark and her daughter, Carol Higgins Clark, write a Christmas mystery novel where they combine a couple of their characters into one novel. So if you like Mary Higgins Clark's books you'll see a couple of her characters in the novel, and if you like Carol, you will see some of her characters in there. These novels are always how I get into the Christmas mood!

I'm gonna give a shout out to my favorite author, Mitch Albom. All of this books are in novel form though a couple are nonfiction and a couple are fiction. His books are: Tuesdays with Morrie, The Five People You Meet in Heaven, For One More Day, and Have a Little Faith. Tuesdays and Faith are my two favorites from the list, though they're all great.

Also, one of my all time favorite books (though not necessarily authors) is One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey. Such a great book. The film ain't bad either.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.