Who believed that John the Baptist was the Messiah?

Hello, I heard there was a “Christian” (if it’s righful to be called that) denomination around (and they aren’t really a small sect, it seems they are quite numerous) that believes that John the Baptist was the real Messiah instead of Jesus. Does anyone know anything about it?

I believe you are looking for Mandaeans.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandaeism

It is not right to call them christians since they reject The Lord Jesus, neither to they refer to themselves as christians.

The Mandeans are a very closed group that doent permit conversion, meaning that if you are not born Mandean you can never become one and they will never accept anyone into their religion.

I heard from a mandean that it is because they are afraid their religion will be destroyed from within if they should permit conversions.

There are “hints” of this sect in Acts where the disciples of Jesus come into contact with the disciples of John and ask them if they’ve been baptized with the baptism of Jesus.

The sect continues through the Mandeans…in “The Pre-Nicene New Testament” by Robert Price, he provides the scriptures that the Mandans use which denouce Jesus as messiah in favor of John. The NT even addresses the concern by having John state “He must increase and I must decrease.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.