Who can answer faith only?

If works are indeed necessary for salvation, how does one explain the thief on the cross?

The exception does not disprove the rule. The Good Thief was hardly in a position to perform any good work save defending Jesus from the insults of the other thief being crucified.

Can you prove that he never did any good works prior to his cruxifiction and repentance?

Also

We are required to do what we can do - not what we can’t do.

You are not the thief on the cross. You have easy opportunities to do good. You should take full advantage of these opportunities, instead of pointing to the thief on the cross and saying, “But he didn’t have to! Why must I?”

EXCELLENT answer, so we can conclude that a man who comes to faith in Jesus just before death will be in paradise?

I certainly hope so! :slight_smile:

That’s what the Catholic Church teaches.

where?

I’m not sure I can give an answer outside that of the Good Thief.
The Church’s history is full of stories of deathbed confessions when somebody has been away from the Church or received communion for the first time.
I can’t remember the saint’s name. He was a clown during the Roman persecutions of the early Christians. He started by mocking Christianity but before his performance was finished, he had a conversion of heart. He ended his “performance” as a martyr for the faith.

Everywhere. It’s part of the sacraments of Baptism and Confession.

If works are possible for you, then they are necessary for salvation. If works are impossible for you, then only the desire to do them is necessary. If you have the faith and the opportunity for good works and you turn those opportunities down, your faith is dead and useless to both you and to God.

It’s kinda implied really, I don’t think it’s ever been an issue. There are plenty of stories of people who went to Christ before their death.

The doctrine of Baptism by Desire has similarities though so you might want to read this
catholic.com/thisrock/2000/0002chap.asp

where did you get such wisdom? I want it.

So by fulfilling every opportunity to do good presented before me, I am increasing the health of my own soul, the holiness of the same, overcoming with good, and spreading God’s Kingdom by the talents(grace) He has given me?

So my individual conscious before God, doing the best with what I have and know, is my innocence or guilty before Him?

The Catholic Church. :thumbsup:

More or less. You don’t have to take every opportunity, since taking every opportunity to do good isn’t always good (you need to sleep, eat, and rest, after all).

More or less.

I LOVE the Catholic Church. Who else speaks with authority?

The proof is in the pudding of James 4:17 To him therefore who knoweth to do good, and doth it not, to him it is sin.

I sought long and hard, but I was not able to find anyone else who speaks with legitimate, verifiable authority.

Because the thief was repentent. That was why Christ saved him.

Salvation comes only from God. Works is not good enough on their own and neither is faith on its own. Only through Christ’s ultimate sacriface is heaven open to us. So what the thief did was come before Christ with a humble and contrite heart asking for forgiveness and Christ gave it to him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.