Who can explain Luke 19:27?

This little nugget is from the end of one of Jesus’ parables:

“But these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slay them in my presence.”

Why would Jesus say this? Especially to a bunch of regular dudes that probably weren’t the brightest of the bunch.

Keep in mind that these are the words of the nobleman in the parable. Moreover, they are addressed, contrary to your comment, to actually a bunch of the brightest dudes, i.e. the Pharisees at the home of Zacchaeus. They follow on this:

“**A nobleman went off to a distant country to obtain the kingship for himself and then to return.*13
He called ten of his servants and gave them ten gold coins
and told them, ‘Engage in trade with these until I return.’
**His fellow citizens, however, despised him and sent a delegation after him to announce, ‘We do not want this man to be our king.’ **15
But when he returned after obtaining the kingship, he had the servants called, to whom he had given the money, to learn what they had gained by trading

We usually hear about the parable of the talents (coins) from this reading, but there is another important lesson here too. Jesus WILL reign, regardless of whether the Pharisees want him to or not, and God’s judgment will fall both on the followers and the non-followers (Pharisees) of Christ, but things will go much better for the followers.

Context is vitally important in understanding scripture.

Observation: How much better even to be that third servant who is stripped of everything due to his fear of the nobleman’s austerity than to be of the citizens who didn’t want him for master and as a result are slain?

New Jerusalem Bible: 27 “As for my enemies who did not want me for their king, bring them here and execute them in my presence.” ’

It is part of the parable.

Remember the king in the parable had people who didn’t want him to be king.

Sounds like he is talking about the Pharisees who rejected him going to eternal punishment.

Jesus did NOT say this. This was Him quoting the master in a parable who had entrusted his servants with minas.

But we do infer the nobleman/master to be Jesus? Yes? If not, then who is this master supposed to be?

The parable may have been spoken to a bunch of regular dudes that probably weren’t the brightest in the bunch… they represent us :wink: the listener, everyone.

Luke 19:26 I tell you, that to every one who has will more be given; but from him who has not, even what he has will be taken away.
Luke 19:27 But as for these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slay them before me.

The enemies of Christ in the parable, itself, are enemies. Enemies hate and reject Christ, reject the Gospel, and won’t submit to him. We are all given grace to grow closer to God, to serve him and our neighbour. We don’t all use this grace. If we don’t use it …I’ve always understood this to mean that all the things of God that reside within the person, i.e. the image and likeness and grace and goodness, will be taken away.

Because dear friend a parable is JUST a story with a MORAL point and lesson being shared

FROM Fr Hardon’s Catholic Dictionary:

PARABLE. A short story based on a familiar life experience used to teach a spiritual lesson. It resembles the fable and the allegory. Jesus used the parable many times in his public ministry. “Why do you teach them in parables?” his disciples asked him. “Because,” he replied, “the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven are revealed to you, but they are not revealed to them” (Matthew 13:10-I1). It was a means of teaching his doctrine especially to those who accepted him as Messiah. (Etym. Greek parabolē, comparison, parable; literally, a throwing beside, juxtaposition.) END QUOTES

The nobleman could represent God the Father, or the reference could be about how noblemen did things in those times.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.