Who can mass be offered for?

Title question. Is there something in Canon Law or the GIRM that states who masses can be requested for. I'm thinking specifically if mass can be requested for non-Catholics. I now that we can offer our individual intentions for anyone, but can just as an example a mass be named and offered for the repose of the soul of a friend who was an atheist that died in a car accident. Or a member of a Baptist church that died after a long illness? Or a close friend that is currently struggling with trying to find truth in religion?

I'm looking for something specific in Canon Law or some other official Church teaching.

[quote="spiderweb, post:1, topic:346895"]
Title question. Is there something in Canon Law or the GIRM that states who masses can be requested for.

[/quote]

Not to my knowledge. In general you may offer a mass intention for anyone or anything, living or dead, Catholic or not. I don't know of anything that specifically says who a Mass can or can't be offered for.

vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P3D.HTM

It seems it would be up to the priest's discretion to refuse a Mass intention, perhaps if it involved a notorious person (like if someone requested a Mass for Adolf Hitler or something).

Perhaps a priest would use the same guidelines as are used in granting or denying an ecclesiastical funeral, or they would ask their bishop if in doubt or if they had a concern about a mass intention request.

vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P4C.HTM

Title question. Is there something in Canon Law or the GIRM that states who masses can be requested for. I'm thinking specifically if mass can be requested for non-Catholics. I now that we can offer our individual intentions for anyone, but can just as an example a mass be named and offered for the repose of the soul of a friend who was an atheist that died in a car accident. Or a member of a Baptist church that died after a long illness? Or a close friend that is currently struggling with trying to find truth in religion?

I'm looking for something specific in Canon Law or some other official Church teaching.

[/quote]

A Mass may be said for any person, living or deceased, Catholic or non-Catholic. It may also be said for any appropriate intention.

[/quote]

Yes, Mass can and should be offered for non-Catholics and non-Christians.

Thanks for the responses and the links 1ke. Perhaps it would be a good idea to start specifically having mass offered for individual members of the government and Supreme Court. Just a thought

[quote="spiderweb, post:5, topic:346895"]
Thanks for the responses and the links 1ke. Perhaps it would be a good idea to start specifically having mass offered for individual members of the government and Supreme Court. Just a thought

[/quote]

Many people will offer these Masses as "public servants" or something similar. I think there would be some resistance if I wanted to offer a Mass for Nancy Pelosi or Pres. Obama.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.