Who can mock this church

nytimes.com/2010/05/02/opinion/02kristof.html?hp

To give readers an idea of what the article is about, I will quote three paragraphs.

As I’ve noted before, there seem to be two Catholic Churches, the old boys’ club of the Vatican and the grass-roots network of humble priests, nuns and laity in places like Sudan. The Vatican certainly supports many charitable efforts, and some bishops and cardinals are exemplary, but overwhelmingly it’s at the grass roots that I find the great soul of the Catholic Church.

Yet the church leaders are right about one thing: there is often a liberal and secular snobbishness toward the church as a whole — and that is unfair.

It may be easy at a New York cocktail party to sniff derisively at a church whose apex is male chauvinist, homophobic and so out of touch that it bars the use of condoms even to curb AIDS. But what about Father Michael Barton, a Catholic priest from Indianapolis? I met Father Michael in the remote village of Nyamlell, 150 miles from any paved road here in southern Sudan. He runs four schools for children who would otherwise go without an education, and his graduates score at the top of statewide examinations.

The author then goes on to cite the examples of several priests and religious in southern Sudan who are helping the people there.

The article assumes that the Catholic workers in the Sudan do not think like the people residing in the Vatican. He even goes so far as to describe it as two Churches which is insulting.

Sounds like the fantasy "Emergent Church" narrative in full action.

Part of the Emergent Church argument of course is to try and separate the bad oppressive heirachial clergy and their neanderthal followers from the modern fair minded laity and the good down to earth liberal clergy.

It is quite clear their 1960's anti-establishment crusade has failed and their increasingly biased and desperate media campaigns are starting to wear thin. So are their attacks on the church in seminaries and college campuses.

They are on the way out - and the sooner the better.

[quote="abucs, post:3, topic:196953"]
The article assumes that the Catholic workers in the Sudan do not think like the people residing in the Vatican. He even goes so far as to describe it as two Churches which is insulting.

Sounds like the fantasy "Emergent Church" narrative in full action.

Part of the Emergent Church argument of course is to try and separate the bad oppressive heirachial clergy and their neanderthal followers from the modern fair minded laity and the good down to earth liberal clergy.

It is quite clear their 1960's anti-establishment crusade has failed and their increasingly biased and desperate media campaigns are starting to wear thin. So are their attacks on the church in seminaries and college campuses.

They are on the way out - and the sooner the better.

[/quote]

And thak God for that.

lol.. hello, is the ny times, what else can we expect from these clowns?... :D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.