Who can point me toward the Church's documents on women?

Women and their roles in the family, Church and society at large.... encyclicals, et al.

Thanks! :D

Start here on Catholic Answers by doing a search for "Mary".

[quote="sarahraegraham, post:1, topic:177250"]
Women and their roles in the family, Church and society at large.... encyclicals, et al.

Thanks! :D

[/quote]

Here's a start:
vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_15081988_mulieris-dignitatem_en.html

And here's another site, on which you can do a search:
papalencyclicals.net/

Mulieris Dignitatem (see here)

Pope John Paul II Letter (see here)

And here is a survey of Catholic thought throughout the ages.

The first two are beautiful, valid writings.

The thrid link is from a heretical orginization - if womenpriests tells you the sky is blue you would be wise to open the window and check.

The third is taken from the book Woman in Christian Tradition by George H.Tavard, University of Notre Dame Press, 1973, pp. 125-150, and is merely copied by the womenpriests website.

Tavard is a Catholic theologian with an ecclesiastical degree (Doctorate of Sacred Theology) from a pontifical university. As is usual with scholarly writings from academic theologians, the chapter is full of footnotes supporting the claims made in the body of the text. In this case, there are 62 footnotes for further research.

"be it done to me according to thy will."

Mary and a review of Mary's life has a lot to teach both men and women.

And he was well known as pro women’s ordination. He is not an orthodox author, he was writing against the Church in that book and other writings.

I think that you are correct with your statement, but that does not imply that it is a Church document (as requested by the O.P.). It also does not imply that it is free from error (I do not know if it has an nihil obstat and an imprimatur). I think that giving out books from theologians as Church documents could be misleading to someone that would like to get started on the topic.

Has Tavard been censured by the CDF, or is this just your personal opinion?

[quote="Cristiano, post:9, topic:177250"]
I think that you are correct with your statement, but that does not imply that it is a Church document (as requested by the O.P.).

[/quote]

As I said, the Tavard work is a survey of Catholic thought. It cites Vatican II, Popes Paul VI and Pius XII, official liturgical prayer, as well as several early fathers and doctors of the Church.

The Holy Father and the CDF have spoken and the teachings on ordination of men only is binding - to teach against it is to teach heresy.

[quote="kage_ar, post:12, topic:177250"]
The Holy Father and the CDF have spoken and the teachings on ordination of men only is binding - to teach against it is to teach heresy.

[/quote]

In other words, the CDF, whose job it is to censure heretical Catholic thelogians, has not seen fit to take action against Tavard.

Pray the Rosary each day, and the role of women will become very apparent in a very short time.

Another official document:

ORDINATIO SACERDOTALIS

vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_22051994_ordinatio-sacerdotalis_en.html

The CDF

INTER INSIGNIORES
Declaration on the Admission of Women to the Ministerial Priesthood (15 October 1976)

ewtn.com/library/curia/cdfinsig.htm

This is not an official document, however, it may be of some assistance:

peterkreeft.com/audio/09_priestesses.htm

I personally am with Kage on this. I would be looking for things with the Impramatur on it. (I know I misspelled.) There is so much stuff out there that just because something is not expressly forbidden does not make it bad - however if something is expressly approved it would be good.

Clearly a number of people here have profound reservations about the Catholic theologians who have graduated from pontifical universities and whose work is therefore reviewed by the CDF. I personally have found the work of such Catholic theologians more useful and more accurate that anything I have ever found on the web, but to each his/her own.

I still don’t see what the problem is in reading the Tavard survey, and finding out that in October 29,1966, Pope Paul VI addressed a congress of Italian gynecologists about the nature of womanhood. If you don’t trust that Tavard quoted correctly from the pope’s words, you can go and look them up directly yourself.

Perhaps the trouble lies in that the OP asked for "Church documents." Now, we all have our "favored" theologians out there (whether it's Thomas Merton, St. Grignon De Montfort, Hans Kung, Dietrick Bonhoeffer, etc. etc. and yes, I am aware that each of these is 'problematic' in the sense that each has violent partisans and violent opponents, that is the point). . . but no matter how moved we are by them, their works are not 'on a par' with "Church documents" (encyclicals). And of course, if we DO want to give a citing to a nice reputable theologian, it really is wise NOT to cite their work as 'viewed' on a really bad web site. I mean, I'm sure I could probably find passages from the Summa Theologica on "womenpriests' web site. . .but why would I want to look for the Summa THERE? Yikes. It's like looking for the recommendations for great steakhouses on a vegan web site. . . You might FIND listings for steakhouses on a vegan web site but only to condemn said steaks etc!

Here's something from St.Thomas Aquinas, one of the most revered intellects the Church had to offer:

“Objection: It can be argued that woman should not have formed part of the world as it was initially created. For Aristotle says that a female is an occasioned male. But it would be wrong for something occasioned and [hence] deficient to be part of the initial creation. Therefore woman should not have been a part of that world.” (Thomas answers that the female is defective as a particular event; not as part of the general scheme of things). Summa Theologica, 1, qu. 92, art 1, ob. 1

“If it were not for some [divine] power that wanted the feminine sex to exist, the birth of a woman would be just another accident, such as that of other monsters = a dog with two heads, a calf with five legs, etc.]”

He was such a ladies man, you can be assured that a lot of sexism, and male dominance **** is a result of this supposedly "great" man's teaching in the Church. I wonder how he ever became a saint with ridiculous reasonings of this sort.

I'm not entirely too sure where's he going with that second statement either.

To be a Saint does not mean you were perfect in this life and could make no mistakes. It means you led a life that led you to heaven.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.