Who created god?

We say you can’t get something out of nothing,and i agree with that statement,but how could god come into existence?
Where did his powers come from?

Someome or something HAD to have created god…??

thanks alot!

God created God. Think about it, if God had a creater then that creater would be God.

Well, basically, God is the uncaused cause. He simply was, is, and will be forever. God exists outside of our perception of time, time which He created. Thus, it is unnecessary to think that there ever had to be a point in time when God was created.

Eamon

God has always existed in a perpetual “now.” You can’t really apply our universe’s laws of physics (time, causality, etc.) to something outside our universe.

This is hard for us to understand because we are so immersed in this universe and its systems. What’s it like to be outside of time? Can a fish who’s spent his whole life at the bottom of the sea imagine what it’s like to be dry? :smiley:

God always was and always will be. He exists outside of time as we understand it. I have news for you godsent… you are probably going to be able to come up with questions that have no easy answer…maybe no answer at all due to our limited human intellegence. I don’t worry at all about those questions, just because God has given me proofs enough for His existence! I guess I don’t feel that I have to have every answer to any question that may come up.

You think in terms of time but it was God who created time and stands outside of time.

My children have asked me that as I asked my parents. Another question is how can there not be an end to heaven-if there is then what starts after that?

Now that I’m older and wiser, I know the answer-There is no answer! :o

[quote=Rebecca New]My children have asked me that as I asked my parents. Another question is how can there not be an end to heaven-if there is then what starts after that?

Now that I’m older and wiser, I know the answer-There is no answer! :o
[/quote]

Why would there need to be an end to heaven?

Remember God’s name? He says to Moses “I am that am”, or more literally “I am that is”. That is what God’s name, Yahweh, means. God literally is the “big is”. :smiley:

:blessyou:

I though God was beyond time (which I though [time] was finite). I might be wrong in which I am sure someone will come out with a bible or a CCC and knock me around for a while till I know better but, That is what I was told a young christian (not catholic yet just ‘Christian’).

[quote=Topher]Why would there need to be an end to heaven?
[/quote]

I guess it’s like an asymptote, but the line has defination on either side, there is still a visable something else beginning and ending.
I just always thought that everything had a beginning and an ending-I’m no Einstein, so that’s just what I thought. :rolleyes:

Some time ago I was at a picnic with a number of people - adults and children. A little child piped up and asked “Where did God come from?” (or something like that) Silence. All of the adults looked stunned. No one said anything and without missing a heartbeat I said firmly and with a true smile on my face and love in my heart “God always was and God always will be.” The child accepted my reply with a smile and went on his way.

Glory Be to the Father, to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be world without end! Amen

Didn’t you know that Mary is the mother of God and she created God so we should worship her and sacrifice virgins to her?
:stuck_out_tongue:

Time is our invention he never existed in it nor does he need a start or finish.

-D

My little pea brain just doesn’t have the horse power to begin to offer a worthy explanation as to the origin of God. This will be on my list of questions to ask Him should His Divine Mercy find me a path to Heaven? :slight_smile:

[quote=godsent]We say you can’t get something out of nothing,and i agree with that statement,but how could god come into existence?
Where did his powers come from?

Someome or something HAD to have created god…??

thanks alot!
[/quote]

God has no creator. He is the creator of all things. An important idea to understand is that there is no succession of time in God. For God, everything is eternally present. There is no past and no future, just the present. Therefore, God just exists, there is no need for a creator of God.

If you want an example of what I mean, take a look at John 8 where Christ says, “Before Abraham was, I AM.” He is quoting the Father from the old testament, but what He says goes far beyond that. In this passage He uses a present verb for to be instead of using the pluperfect. What He is saying is that His present is before the past which held Abraham. God just is. He has no past, just the present.

Would you ask the question, “What letter comes before the letter ‘A’ in the alphabet?”

Obviously there is no point in asking it because ‘A’ is the first letter, it’s the beginning, nothing comes before it. It’s the same with God. He is the Alpha, the first, the beginning, nothing comes before Him. To ask who created God is the same as asking what letter comes before ‘A’; IMHO.

Creatures exist because of God, but God exists because in Him existence and substance are the same. “I am who am.”

God’s very nature is existence. Being is what he is made of. He exists necessarily and cannot not exist. He is the necessary being.

St. Thomas Aquinas wrote carefully thought out chapters about this but this basically sums it up.

Look at it this way.
It is impossible that only finite things exist because then everything would have undetermined limitations, which is a contradiction. Therefore, if anything at all exists, and it is apparent that something does, then there must be at least one infinite being that determined all other things, and this being we call God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.