Who decides the final form of the new Roman Missal?

Somehow I was under the impression that the new change started about a decade ago where JPII said that the conferences would have no bearing on a new translation and what we were getting was going to be direct from Rome because the ICEL screwed up the translation decades ago.
So is the below true, that ICEL created the new Missal, I was hoping that these changes were coming directly from Rome, instead of from what I heard people composed of ICEL whose purpose (to some) was to destroy the liturgy and cause declining mass attendance through a ****** translation of the mass.
Also, does this mean that implementation only comes from the USCCB, because I thought every diocese is under authority only from Rome?

Who is doing the work of translation?
The process of translation is a highly consultative work of several groups. The International Commission on English in the Liturgy (ICEL) is chartered to prepare English translations of liturgical texts on behalf of the conferences of bishops of English–speaking countries. Currently 11 conferences of bishops are full members of the Commission: the United States, Australia, Canada, England and Wales, India, Ireland, New Zealand, Pakistan, the Philippines, Scotland, and South Africa.

The USCCB and the other member Conferences of Bishops receive draft translations of each text from ICEL (called “Green Books”) and have the opportunity to offer comments and suggestions to ICEL. A second draft (called the “Gray Book”) is proposed, which each Conference of Bishops approves (a Conference reserves the right to amend or modify a particular text) and submits to the Vatican for final approval.

At the level of the Vatican (the Holy See), the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments examines texts and offers authoritative approval (recognitio) of texts and grants permission for their use. Currently the Congregation is aided by the recommendations of Vox Clara, a special committee of bishops and consultants from English–speaking countries convened to assist with the English translation of the Missale Romanum.

the Bishop’s conference isn’t another layer in the hierarchy but rather a cooperation between the Bishops of a given territory so that there would be uniformity in a given region. by joining the Conference the bishop would have to agree that they will abide by the decision of the Conference in certain matters.

ICEL did the new translation, our bishop was on the translation committee. Each conference of bishops had a say but Rome had the final approval. I don’t think we have to be too concerned since Rome had already rejected one translation and made it clear that some things would never be accepted.

My understanding - but I don’t have sources to back this up - is that ICEL is a much different, better, and better supervised group than it used to be, using the principles from Liturgiam Authenticam to guide the translation process. The Congregation for Divine Worship also had to sign off on the hew translation before implementation, and they’re being pretty strict (after all, they wrote Liturgiam Authenticam).

I’m really excited about the upcoming translation, it looks amazing. At the very first couple of Masses I ever attended (just over a year and a half ago) I remember being surprised at how non-traditional-sounding some of the language was - like “Happy are those called to His supper.”

Maybe the next step will be a redone release of the English Liturgy of the Hours, and maybe they’ll include all the actual hymns from the Latin Liturgia Horarum instead of so many 1960-70s songs. I can wait a few years for that though, I just finally got the 4 volume set…

We also forgot an important component of the process: ; Vox Clara. This Committee, established specifically by the Holy See, serves to guide and counsel ICEL on the translation. George Cardinal Pell is the chairman of this committee. It was founded as a result of Liturgiam Authenticam.

Ultimately, it is the Holy See that grants the recognitio for any new translation that will be used.

Another question, when is it decided that it gets implemented? Does the Vatican have a set date at which all dioceses MUST be celebrating it with the new Missal?
Can an individual parish implement the changes right away, or will they need authorization from the USCCB to verify that they are using the “correct” missal?

Generally speaking if there is to be music at an ordinary form is supposed to come primarily from chant any way. At least that’s what the GIRM says. Something along the lines like… Option 1. Chant, Option 2. Chant, Option 3.Chant, 4.Appropriate Song if nothing else is at hand. Obviously we don’t normally go with options 1, 2, or 3.

For that matter when is the last time you heard the Roman Cannon sung in English at Mass… I think it’s been like 30 years since I’ve heard it, except maybe once at a Pontifical High Mass.

ICEL already has those sections of the new translation that are to be chanted set to music.

The settings are great!

Here they are:

icelweb.org/musicfolder/openmusic.php

I hope this helps.

Parishes will have to wait until the official Missals are published and the date bandied about for implementation is the First Sunday in Advent, November 27, 2011. It’s possible some countries will implement earlier; for example, the Pope is supposed to be using the new translation when he celebrates Masses in Great Britain in September. Will they continue to use it after he leaves? We don’t yet know.

I’m not sure if the new Missal will be done by individual countries or groups of countries as it was last time or if there will be one Missal for everyone. I suspect different Missals, if only because of the different spelling of words between countries – let’s face it, even Harry Potter was rewritten for the US market. We don’t know yet if countries will be allowed different things in their Missals as was the case with the 1975 Sacramentary where Canada has introductions to the Memorial Acclamation that are not present in the US Sacramentary.

After Liturgiam Authenticam, ICEL’s membership was scrapped and a new group was instituted. They did most of the legwork on the new translations.

The Vatican decides the final form on all the vernaculars of the Roman Missal, and I suspect there are many hundreds of them.

Here’s a good idea: go back to the Latin for the principal Mass of the day(11:00 a.m.-12 Noon) local time and celebrate it in the EF. The rest of the Mass can be in the OF. This would apply to every parish world wide.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.