Who defines words for lexicons?

Who. exactly, defines words for lexicons? I recently looked up “baptism” and “grace” in a Greek New Testament Lexicon and the definitions there were very Protestant. How can one learn the meaning of the New Testament if even the sources used for defining biblical terms is biased?

In Christ,
Nancy :slight_smile:

The definition of a word used 2000 years ago is not always easy to determine. Also, there is not always a direct English translation. Basically, the literature of the time is used to determine how a specific word is used in other contexts. I used to have a Greek theoligical dictionary (in several volumes) that had between a paragraph to several pages on each Greek word in the Bible. It would show both the Biblical context and the extra-biblical usage.

Language changes much over time and from place to place. Anyone who fails to acknowledge this is either foolish or ignorant. It is one reasons why Christ established a Church and didn’t write us an instruction manual. We need the Church today as a source of unity of doctrine.

[quote=Catholic4aReasn]Who. exactly, defines words for lexicons? I recently looked up “baptism” and “grace” in a Greek New Testament Lexicon and the definitions there were very Protestant. How can one learn the meaning of the New Testament if even the sources used for defining biblical terms is biased?

In Christ,
Nancy :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Hey there -

Biblical scholars define them based on their knowledge and understanding of the original languages. Admittedly, you will find many of them are from protestant viewpoints.

Peace…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.