WHO: Ebola outbreak is accelerating out of control

Washington: The world response to the deadly Ebola crisis in West Africa needs a major scale-up that should include military flights for delivering supplies, US lawmakers and leading doctors said.

The calls came amid new warnings from the World Health Organization that the viral outbreak is accelerating out of control, with 2,296 dead and 4,293 infected in Sierra Leone, Liberia, Guinea and Nigeria since the start of this year.

“The problem is that unless we have a massive scale-up of resources in the form of hospital beds, personnel, equipment, we are not going to be able to control this,” said Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Disease.

ibnlive.in.com/news/who-ebola-outbreak-is-accelerating-out-of-control/498271-17.html

What experts are too scared to say about Ebola: It could spread to megacities everywhere, and could become airborne

MINNEAPOLIS — THE Ebola epidemic in West Africa has the potential to alter history as much as any plague has ever done.

There have been more than 4,300 cases and 2,300 deaths over the past six months. Last week, the World Health Organization warned that, by early October, there may be thousands of new cases per week in Liberia, Sierra Leone, Guinea and Nigeria. What is not getting said publicly, despite briefings and discussions in the inner circles of the world’s public health agencies, is that we are in totally uncharted waters and that Mother Nature is the only force in charge of the crisis at this time.

There are two possible future chapters to this story that should keep us up at night.

The first possibility is that the Ebola virus spreads from West Africa to megacities in other regions of the developing world. This outbreak is very different from the 19 that have occurred in Africa over the past 40 years. It is much easier to control Ebola infections in isolated villages. But there has been a 300 percent increase in Africa’s population over the last four decades, much of it in large city slums. What happens when an infected person yet to become ill travels by plane to Lagos, Nairobi, Kinshasa or Mogadishu — or even Karachi, Jakarta, Mexico City or Dhaka?

The second possibility is one that virologists are loath to discuss openly but are definitely considering in private: that an Ebola virus could mutate to become transmissible through the air. You can now get Ebola only through direct contact with bodily fluids. But viruses like Ebola are notoriously sloppy in replicating, meaning the virus entering one person may be genetically different from the virus entering the next. The current Ebola virus’s hyper-evolution is unprecedented; there has been more human-to-human transmission in the past four months than most likely occurred in the last 500 to 1,000 years. Each new infection represents trillions of throws of the genetic dice.

nytimes.com/2014/09/12/opinion/what-were-afraid-to-say-about-ebola.html?smid=tw-share

As of 6 September 2014, 4269 (probable, confirmed and suspected) cases and 2288 deaths have been reported in the current outbreak of Ebola virus disease by the Ministries of Health of Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone. The increase in cases continues to accelerate in countries with widespread and intense transmission: Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.

apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/132834/1/roadmapupdate8sept14_eng.pdf?ua=1

I don’t know what will happen if they don’t have enough health workers. I watched a show on PBS the other night on the Ebola virus.

They have so much superstition and many hide or flee.

Very scary!

The slope shown on the curves is very alarming. Whatever is being done now is not enough, and those who are fighting this are going to wear down.

DGB.

The potential for diseases like Ebola to become “air borne” has been with us since the beginning of time. With the increased ability to travel globally, and the basic reality of human error, we are certainly facing a potential pandemic with this outbreak. Hopefully there will be an increase in aid and treatment in those regions where this outbreak is now occurring.

Sometimes I think those of us in the more developed countries can become too complacent about our ability to fall victim to such illnesses. This should be a wake up call to everyone. I have maintained for years that a global pandemic was something we could certainly fall victims to. No one is immune to the possible ravages of a disease like this.

Let us all pray this outbreak can be contained soon.

:thumbsup: The only positive is that at least some of the patients are
surviving. I always thought that once you got ebola, it was over. Nothing more could be done. I wish they could find a cure for it.
I would never want to get it.

From the start of this outbreak there should have been a unified, international response.

Air travel should have been cut off, borders should have been sealed.

There are plenty of states with functional NBC military capability, they could have easily dispatched troops properly outfitted to maintain a strict quarantine.

At this point, the West only became concerned when a few Western doctors became ill.

The disease would lose much of its fatality were it to go airborne. There are multiple serums/vaccines in the making. Something will give soon enough.

Yes, this is a common belief, and it needs to be overcome. Educating the public will be a vital part of controlling Ebola. In the past, Ebola has had a 10% - 40% survival rate. The key is supportive treatment: maintaining fluid and electrolytes, blood pressure and oxygenation, treating secondary infections etc. It is the sort of thing which first world countries do routinely, but the countries affected by this outbreak have health care systems which struggle to provide what is necessary.

They have handled ebola the way they handled ISIS. They were aware of it, but did nothing and let the situation grow and become more dangerous. Finally, they realize they have a real problem on their hands and decide to tackle it only now they need more people and more aggressive tactics.

Ebola would devastate the US, and its a shame the US is more concerned with peoples convenience compared to keeping them alive and safe! Once this scare began, they should have shut down the borders temporarily, until it was over, but this would cause alot of business to grind to a halt, so in this case, greed, and business as usual trumps safety. LOL Only in the US…LOL

I just did a search in this forum for all posts about “Ebola”, going back to April of this year. Before Sept 7th, the only calls for response were to “close the borders”. No one suggested more definitive action (like setting up facilities in Africa) until the U.S. announced it would do that a few days ago. This makes statements like “they did nothing and let the situation grow” appear a little too late. Why did no one on CAF say anything like this before? Hindsight is 20/20.

sciencemag.org/content/345/6202/1369.abstract

We observed a rapid accumulation of interhost and intrahost genetic variation, allowing us to characterize patterns of viral transmission over the initial weeks of the epidemic.

This virus is quickly mutating. The concern is that is could become airborne.

The Mormons instruct emergency preparedness up to one year. This approach far more sensible these days than FEMA’s advice of preparing for a short lived emergency.

ready.gov/document/family-supply-list

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: so it is up to us at CAF to tell them how to handle the crisis? That is the job of WHO, CDC and the UN my friend.

West African health centers can’t keep up with Ebola outbreak, WHO says
(CNN) – The number of new Ebola cases is growing faster than the ability of health officials to handle them, the head of the World Health Organization said Friday.

“In the three hardest hit countries, Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, the number of new cases is moving far faster than the capacity to manage them in the Ebola-specific treatment centers,” said Margaret Chan, the WHO director-general. “Today, there is not one single bed available for the treatment of an Ebola patient in the entire country of Liberia.”

cnn.com/2014/09/12/health/ebola-outbreak/

youtube.com/watch?v=xUBpoyKxArU
Ebola Virus Outbreak 2014: Dying at the Hospital Door | The New York Times

How sad…

I just thought it strange that the complaints about inadequate response only appeared after the response was begun. I wonder what the comments here would have been if something like this were proposed and begun in June. “Too soon to panic!” ???

Considering the epidemic began in december or january-we are now in september. I think June would have still been late.
This isn’t the first ebola epidemic they have ever faced.

They constantly downplayed the issue and still do from the link below. In fact they would have you believe here its not likely anyone would catch the virus. How, I have no idea. I can’t see how we could say its contact and bodily fluid exclusive. How is that possible with its exponential growth rate. HIV and Hep C is the same thing, and it just doesn’t spread at this rate. In fact they are almost impossible to contract. This may be bodily fluid exclusive but its incredibly contagious.

Tara Smith, Associate Professor of Epidemiology at Kent State University, dismiss outright any ideas that Ebola could go airborne, or even that the disease is much of a threat at all. Smith says that Ebola is not something that the United States needs to fear, and that the outbreak in West Africa will “burn out” in good time.

The strain of Ebola currently affecting West Africa can only be spread via direct contact and bodily fluids. It is known that viruses mutate, and there is some evidence that other stains of Ebola have effectively infected other species of animal in an airborne manner. Some health experts have stated with great confidence that the Ebola virus could not go airborne, however others have taken a more cautious stance, suggesting that it would be foolhardy to assume anything of the sort about a deadly and infectious disease, and that there is the possibility that it could mutate into an airborne form.

Smith says that Ebola is not something that the United States needs to fear,

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCsQqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fguardianlv.com%2F2014%2F09%2Fexperts-dispute-the-potential-for-the-ebola-virus-to-go-airborne%2F&ei=FHQTVIyPOMnE8AGVrIHYDw&usg=AFQjCNFv6rIm-ZbpYt5ViyjLLEA3s5c3SQ

Its baffles many of these patients understanding how they contracted the virus.

If ebola hits the united States, some of the worst things to do would be to eat at a buffet, or handle dollars without washing your hands. Also, id be particularly weary about public transportation and shopping around large cities.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.