Who else has gone through this?

Right now my conscience is not clear…
I’ve been studying and tossed to and fro with doctrine so much, I am getting sea sick. Believe me I am seeking truth.

Here’s my trend…
I have to be Catholic, but I don’t want to

Another day…
I can’t wait to be Roman Catholic again!

Still another day…
I can be a Christian and be just fine. I don’t need to be Catholic.

Then…
But what if the RC is right? (I’m in deep trouble and hell is likely)
I love the LORD so much I couldn’t bear not being with Him.

Then…
What if the Protestants (which one…lol) are right?

Then…
Yuck…what if those anti-Catholics are right?

Then…
I get the Catholic “bug” again.

HELP!

Have you read much of the early church fathers? If not, try St Ignatius of Antioch first. He was a disciple of the apostle John.

THE DEEPEST WELLS HAVE THE CLEAREST WATER.

I think your bipolar! Im just joking.

You cant go wrong with 2000 years of faith and tradition.
rest a sure the protastant linage is man made opinion and is further from the truth.

Have you ever played the game: Line up 7 peole tell a story and by the time it gets to the 7th peson its a diferent story?

Stick to the original and dont go astray dont loose faith like when the jews were freed by God from egypt and a short time later started worshipping the gold calf

[quote=Zosimus]I think your bipolar! Im just joking./QUOTE]

Oh thanks…kick me when I’m down.

(half-teasing back) :wink:
[/quote]

Dear Gracelife,

Be at peace and know God is with you.

Reach out to Him, in your heart, and ask Him to guide you. He will give you all you need, moment by moment, to make the right decision.

Trust Jesus! And when you are in doubt repeat over and over again, to yourself, “Jesus I trust in You!” (St. Faustina)

What Father would give His son a stone, if he asked for a loaf of bread. (Jesus said this, I believe)

[quote=elizabeth4truth]Dear Gracelife,

Be at peace and know God is with you.

Reach out to Him, in your heart, and ask Him to guide you. He will give you all you need, moment by moment, to make the right decision.

Trust Jesus! And when you are in doubt repeat over and over again, to yourself, “Jesus I trust in You!” (St. Faustina)

What Father would give His son a stone, if he asked for a loaf of bread. (Jesus said this, I believe)
[/quote]

Thank you Elizabeth, you brought tears to my eyes.

I’ve been going to almost daily Eucharistic Adoration and praying just that. Still, I get nothing…

Well, what I do get is this verse popping up “all over the place” (different media) the past 2 weeks.
Jesus saying, “I am the way, the truth, and the life”.

I guess that is far from nothing, but there is no confirmation for me in that, that I should be Roman Catholic. I’ve analyzed this to death intellectually, yes the Early Fathers and such.

I don’t have ongoing peace yet. But I do “glow” with joy and peace initially after Adoration.

LOL…a Protestant going to Eucharistic Adoration…tells you where I’m at a bit…or does it? :slight_smile:

Wow! What more can you ask for. There’s your answer! To glow with peace and joy after Eucharistic Adoration is a special grace that God has bestowed upon you. Bask in that grace, and continue to pray. The Lord will take you on the journey that is right for you. Many people go through dry periods–sometimes lasting a lifetime. Have you ever read “Dark Night of the Soul”, by St John of the Cross? Jesus loves you–trust in Him and keep the faith. God Bless you.

Christ Is Risen!
Indeed He Is Risen!

smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_3_15.gif

The Holy Spirit is pushing you home:).

QUOTE: “To glow with peace and joy after Eucharistic Adoration is a special grace that God has bestowed upon you.”

I hear what you are saying…

Here’s the but…
How can I receive this grace, when my marriage is invalid and I am in mortal sin? Doesn’t mortal sin cut me off from God?

[quote=gracelife] Here’s my trend…
I have to be Catholic, but I don’t want to . . .

[/quote]

Sounds like the Holy Spirit is draggin’ ya by the hair. Been there. 30 years of malaise; 5 years of torture, then, with surrender: bliss!

Hi,

I know when I was coming home I also hung onto Scripture when doubts crept in. For me though, they did confirm to me that the Catholic Church was the One. (For me it was/is 1Tim 3:15 the church is the pillar and foundation of truth. If the reformers were right, then somewhere along the way the Church no longer had the truth. If that is true how can Scripture be true.)

You say

Well, what I do get is this verse popping up “all over the place” (different media) the past 2 weeks.
Jesus saying, “I am the way, the truth, and the life”.

I guess that is far from nothing, but there is no confirmation for me in that, that I should be Roman Catholic. I’ve analyzed this to death intellectually, yes the Early Fathers and such.

So let’s look to Jesus. What does Scripture say about Jesus and His body?

:bible1: 1Cor6:15 Don’t you know your bodies are members of Christ?

There are several more along those lines, but would you agree that as a believer you are part of the Body of Christ?:yup:

Then Scripture also says this

:bible1:Col 1:18 He is the head of the body, the church,…

So Christ is the head of the body, the church. The church is also part of the body of Christ. So the question is did Christ leave a visible Church? Or is it just invisible? If it is visible, you need to trust the promises Christ made about the church.

And how could the promises like “leading us to all truth” be true without a visible church? (besides the fact Acts is full of instructions that show a structure, a church authority being built.)

Which always brings me back to

:bible1:1Tim 3:15 the church is the pillar and foundation of truth

So to me,

Christ is the way, Christ is the Church, that church was/is visible, it is the Catholic Church, the way is through the Catholic Church, Christ is the way. It is all connected.

Hope this did not sound like too much gobbledy gook:o Clearly not an argument for a non-Christian with the circular reasoning. Not even a argument for one who has not been shown a glimmer of the truth about the Catholic Church. But maybe you think along the same lines I do. This helped me to hold onto the truth revealed to me without letting the doubts overwhelm me.

It would have been helpful if I would have known the prayer to St. Michael the Archangel;) . For make no mistake, your doubts are part of spiritual warfare. Ask God for help to combat them!

I pray it helps some.

God Bless,
Maria

smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_1_124.gif St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in the day of battle. Be our safeguard against the wickness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the Power of God, thrust into hell all the evil spirits that prowl the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

(Couldn’t find the perfect smiley. If I were smarter only the angel smiley would have a club!)

I hear what you are saying…

Here’s the but…
How can I receive this grace, when my marriage is invalid and I am in mortal sin? Doesn’t mortal sin cut me off from God?

Yes and no. One in mortal sin is separated from God, but that does not mean you and God cannot interact. He still hears and answers prayers. He also sends us grace to push us towards reconciling ourselves with Him. If we were totally cut off from all contact, how would someone of no faith ever get faith? (plus if we were totally cut off, that would mean we were in Hell). Follow where God’s grace points you!:slight_smile:

Why don’t you read Scott and Kimberly Hahn’s “Rome Sweet Home” and see if it makes any sense to you. It’s a quick and easy read. Both Scott and Kimberly were struggling with the same sort of thing you are going through. Their experience might help you.

<<I think your bipolar! Im just joking.>>

There is nothing even remotely amusing about joking about a serious illness such as Bi-polar.

Karen Anne

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.