Who else likes old movies?

We just finished watching “Holiday Inn” with Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby. :thumbsup:

Teh awesomenis!

We have a stack of DVDs that we like to watch around Christmas time, including Scrooge with Alistair Sim, and Christmas In Connecticut. But it doesn’t end there. I grew up on old black and white films of every kind, which they don’t show any more (yup, I know about Turner and AMC, our cable system doesn’t carry them).

Sad to think a whole generation will grow up ignorant of these great classics.

“it;s a wondeful Life”!!!

Just watched White Christmas last night! Love it.:slight_smile:

Absolutely anything with the young Katherine Hepburn.

Kate and Spencer together.

Anything with Monty Clift.

Almost anything with Jimmy Stewart.

Almost anything with Bette Davis.

I have AMC and it’s a great disappointment. Don’t feel deprived!

I watch anything with Humphrey Bogart! I must have seen The African Queen fifty times. I am also very partial to the old Laurel and Hardy movies. They make me laugh out loud no matter how many times I have seen them. But, I think that the Marx Brothers are aging poorly with a few exceptions.

Oh, I agree!!! I LOVE Holiday Inn! My grandfather, who recently passed away, introduced my siblings and me to the great Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby :D.

So, I love pretty much anything with either of those two in it, Judy Garland’s musicals, Audrey Hepburn, Catherine Hepburn, Cary Grant, Gene Kelly, and really any old musical in general :).

I find it sad when I have friends who can’t sit through an old movie b/c all they’ve been fed is the stuff that’s now, so they get incredibly bored :(. I know my children will be raised with these movies playing…

Its a Wonderful Life is great we try to watch it every year.
I also like subtitles for some unknown reason :shrug:

Also what about old sci fi movies like Godzilla etc? And I must mention to see if there is any fans of MST (Mystery Science Theater) ??

I think that is even less likely today than it probably was when you were a kid. Today these movies are being preserved and restored. Every year there are more and more classic films that were not available for anybody to watch. With DVD’s and cable old movies are available more than ever. I am only 30 years old and I remember when I was younger how hard it was to find older movies to watch. Now with Netflix I can find more films than there would ever be time to watch and the catalog is only growing. Think about 1950, the only way to see an old movie was if it played at a theatre as part of a rerun.

Oh I love old movies! I am especially fond of old monster movies from the 1950s especially if there are giant bugs involved (Them!, Tarantula). I also all movies that Ray Harryhausen did (Jason and the Argonauts, 7th Voyage of Sinbad)

To get a bit more realistic, I love film noir and the early Warner Brothers movies (Maltese Falcon, I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang, Scarface, Public Enemy ect.)

I just bought a Three Stooges DVD which features the first two years. I’m that rare creature, a woman who loves the Stooges.
('m also a morning person and that combined with my love of the Stooges makes me almost an endangered species):smiley:

"Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? " and “Dr. Zhivago”

Kathy

well I can’t call any movies produced in my lifetime “oldies” so that takes us back to the black and white era (not to silents however) TCM does sometimes show old classic silents which have been restored from the old deterioating nitrate based films, and Turner is doing good work on restoration. Black and white restores much better than early color films ( South Pacific for instance is dreadful, as are some low budget late 50s early 60s color flics). I don’t like their penchant for “colorizing” old movies.

anything with Judy Garland, even when I have to put up with Mickey Rooney.

film noir based on classic hard boiled dectective novels.

Go go Gojira! :smiley:

I LOVES MST3K. I could not wait for their Turkey Day marathons. Those always cracked me up!

And I have to point out that up until very recently, old black and whites played on broadcast and even cable channels all the time! In the 50s, 60s, 70s and even 80s, how do you think TV stations filled their roster? With cheap old movies and cheap old TV reruns.

Today, if your cable provider doesn’t carry Turner or AMC you’re out of luck.

Another ‘old movie’ addict here. My especial favorites are those from the 1930’s and 1940’s, though I also like many silent films and some films from the 1950’s through the 1980’s. Here are my favorite oldies:

These Three

All About Eve

Bringing Up Baby

Now, Voyager

In Name Only

The Wizard of Oz

City Lights

The Little Foxes

Mildred Pierce

Stella Dallas

The Women

Harvey

Night Nurse

Beauty and the Beast(1946 French live-action version)

Nights of Cabiria

David Copperfield(the George Cukor version)

Random Harvest

Pride and Prejudice(the Greer Garson version)

Basic cable still fills its roster with older movies only now they are from the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s.

The situation is much better today it has ever been. Turner shows all kinds of different movies going all the back to silent movies from the aughts (1900-1909). (AMC is garbage at this point.) But there are just so many options today.

In the 50’s-80’s how often did people get the chance to watch a movie from was made prior to 1927? Now, I can just go to Netflix or Amazon and get many movies from this era.

Check out this awesome DVD collection:

amazon.com/Movies-Begin-Treasury-Cinema-1894-1913/dp/B00005YUO9

and tell me how and I could have seen any of these movies in the 50’s? With a few minor exceptions the stuff that was shown on broadcast television almost acted as if movies started in 1927. The situation is much better today with way more films available to the public.

Two of my all-time favs:

Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner

Charade

Uhhh… film class? :stuck_out_tongue:

And once or twice PBS ran something like Intolerance.

Uhhh… film class?

And once or twice PBS ran something like Intolerance.

That’s my point. Seeing classic films is way easier today than it ever has been. With a DVD player (some under $20) and a subscription to Netflix (plans under $5) a person can see thousands more classic films than was possible in the 50’s and they can see films that were not available at all in the 50’s.

Today’s younger generation actually has the opportunity to see more classic films than previous generations.

I love old movie and go out of my way to purchase them for my collection.
Last night I watched an old Hitchcock “I confess!” excellent!
I love :
most Hitchcock movies
anything with Jimmy Stewart
almost anything with John Wayne
anything with Montgomery Clift
anything with Astaire/Rodgers
The Night of the Hunter with Bob Mitchum
Waterloo Bridge with Vivien Leigh/Robert Taylor
Charlie Chan movies with Warner Oland
anything directed by C.B.DeMille :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The Maltese Falcon
Casablanca
African Queen with Humphrey Bogart
Sunset Boulevard with William Holden/ Gloria Swanson
Captains Courageous
Boys’ Town
San Francisco Spencer Tracy
The Thin Man movies with William Powell/Myrna Loy
Miracle on 34th street with little Natalie Wood
Classic Universal Horror movies:thumbsup:

I could go on forever. Of course I love all the swashbuckling movies as well.:thumbsup: I wish they showed them more often!

Have you checked your local library? Mine carries tons of these, though most of them are on VHS. Then again, if you mean to get young people to see them…this is probably not that helpful, unless they’re actively seeking them out. (I have all the Fred and Ginger movies and I’m 23…) I got my college roommate into old musicals and she got me into old film noir that she was studying in her film classes. So don’t lose hope in us yet!

Netflix has some good silents…like Nosferatu and Metropolis in restored versions. Both entirely creepy and disturbing however :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.