Who has heard of Our Lady of Ostra Bama?

THE INVINCIBLE MADONNA OF OSTRA BRAMA

From ANNALS AUSTRALASIA

What a beautiful story and title of Our Lady!

I have heard of her, but the only reason is because of a little parish in Cutchogue, NY (Suffolk County, Long Island). My dad stays there sometimes for business, and the closest parish is Our Lady of Ostrabrama. It has a Polish background and has a Polish Mass.

ourladyofostrabrama.com/

G'day, anp1250,

Just a couple of things:

First of all the American Church is called Ostrabama (following the Polish pattern) - not Ostra Bama;

Secondly, It describes itself as "Roman Catholic"; The Church which of which the Pope is the Vicar of Christ - is, simply, The Catholic Church. The term "Roman" was added by the Anglicans as a perjorative - and to boster THEIR claim to be a "branch" of the Catholic Church - just like the Orthodox;

Thirdly, the image in the American Church is not the same as in the ANNALS AUISTRALASIA article by Wanda Skowronska.

Lastly, here is an excerpt from Wikipedia:

Our Lady of the Gate of Dawn

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a0/NMP_Ostrobramska.JPG/300px-NMP_Ostrobramska.JPG bits.wikimedia.org/static-1.21wmf5/skins/common/images/magnify-clip.png
Painting of The Blessed Virgin Mary Mother of Mercy with numerous votive offerings (hearts) below it.

Our Lady of the Gate of Dawn (Lithuanian: Aušros Vartų Dievo Motina, Polish: Matka Boska Ostrobramska, Belarusian: Маці Божая Вастрабрамская) is the prominent painting of the Blessed Virgin Mary venerated by the faithful in the Chapel of the Gate of Dawn in Vilnius, Lithuania. The Renaissance painting, completed possibly in the first half of the 17th century, is an unusual portrayal of Madonna as she is depicted without infant Jesus. The artwork soon became known as miraculous and inspired a following. A dedicated chapel was built in 1671 by the Discalced Carmelites. At the same time, possibly borrowing from the Eastern Orthodox tradition, the painting was covered in expensive and elaborate silver and gold clothes leaving only the face and hands visible. In the following centuries, the following grew stronger and Our Lady became an important part of religious life in Vilnius. The following inspired many copies in Lithuania, Poland, and diaspora communities worldwide. The chapel was visited by Pope John Paul II in 1993. It is a major site of pilgrimage in Vilnius and attracts many visitors, especially from Poland.[1]

:thumbsup:

You’re absolutely correct!

The Church is around the corner from where I live, right here in Cutchogue.!!!

I was amazed to see my little town mentioned right here on CAF! :smiley:

[quote="jakasaki, post:5, topic:308959"]

You're absolutely correct!

The Church is around the corner from where I live, right here in Cutchogue.!!!!

I was amazed to see my little town mentioned right here on CAF! :D

[/quote]

That's the only parish I've ever heard of with that name. Pretty cool!

That is so funny that you live in Cutchogue! It's a little town! I would have never heard of it if my dad didn't stay there sometimes for work.

Cutchogue is a beautiful little village. Not too many people, lots of farm land and vineyards. It’s surrounded by Long Island sound and Peconic bay.

Google it. You’ll fall in love with it! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote="jakasaki, post:5, topic:308959"]

You're absolutely correct!

The Church is around the corner from where I live, right here in Cutchogue.!!!!

I was amazed to see my little town mentioned right here on CAF! :D

[/quote]

one i hope to visit soon :)

[quote="jakasaki, post:7, topic:308959"]
Cutchogue is a beautiful little village. Not too many people, lots of farm land and vineyards. It's surrounded by Long Island sound and Peconic bay.

Google it. You'll fall in love with it! :p

[/quote]

I will probably visit one of these days. My dad works for the electricians union, and the local there has a little hotel on the water where members can stay at a discounted rate. The only problem is it books up really far in advance. My dad loves it because it's quiet and there aren't a bunch of people around. He HATES to be surrounded by people. As you've probably guessed, he hates NYC. But he loves to stay in Cutchogue.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.