Who here likes video games? Anyone?

Nope. No video games.

Mostly, I have gotten involved with actual things such as economic development.

Re-employment counseling.

Games are too much of a distraction from reality.

You can find many many different ways to engage in reality. Learn to fly an airplane. Go camping. Volunteer for overseas activities such as church missions or the Peace Corps.

I believe I made it to level 70. I couldn’t progress past that…

So I take it, you don’t go to the movies, watch any tv, read any books, or even casually hang out with people? You must be great at parties. I’m real sick of this elitism.

The only way to affordably do this is with a flight simulator, i.e a video game

personally, if I really don’t want to do something then I won’t do it and I won’t be smug about it.

This is all well and good, but if I want to blow off some steam for an hour, I’m not going to do this

Seriously, if you’re not into this topic, then please don’t comment

Ah. I like mine to involve rockets, explosions and occasional senseless killing of little green man.

In short, Kerbal Space Program. Still working on that BFR clone. The launch is okay. Landing still involve the ship rolling unstabily and force me to use parachutes.

Don’t go to parties.

People have different opinions and perspectives, don’t let it trouble you :slight_smile:

To be clear; Anything that people have invested time, love and passion into - are worthy of respect.

Many people the world over are gamers. They play games, from football down to games like these (electronic or whatever else).

They foster co-operation, understanding and have even helped people learn about cultures they once thought hostile.

I know this, having spent years on what the British and American armed forces call ‘hearts and minds’ campaigning.

To bond with the people on the ground and show them that they matter. A common element of humanity.

I have lived through more Brutality and war than most can imagine. I’m not asking for pity, it’s to highlight that my experience is of truly awful places.

And in the midst of that; games brought light, where there hadn’t been any for a long, long time! Hard to believe that I played Halo on Xbox in Baghdad only months after Saddam fell!

So please do think in a more open way. This is not a world where people should be bullied for what they love. Instead they should be encouraged to learn.

Because let me tell you something ‘mr real world only’.

Those games programmers, many ot them have gone on to make medical and scientific technology that has saved thousands, if not millions of lives across the globe.

No mean feat.

Don’t neglect reality. Certainly that is not healthy. But don’t let fear of that cause you to avoid engaging in people’s fun. Nor reaching out and meeting them in a way that can build bridges. To
Not do so is such a big loss :frowning:

Games are for everyone.

Played tank battle once decades ago. Realized what a farce. Never played a computer game ever again.

Maybe my life has been filled with too much real life.

Said a prayer when I was in school … that I didn’t want money but wanted to do interesting work. Well … I got my wish.

More recently, I was asked to open a meeting with a prayer and this is what I said, “Lord, we love you very much. Please hold us in your arms, forgive us our sins, and make us the way YOU want us to be.”

One of the other attendees cried out, “NOOOOO!!!”

[They never asked me to do that again.]

The books I read are 99+% non-fiction.

I’m not into video games as much as I used to be. I did get a couple for Christmas that I’ve been playing. Assassin’s Creed: Origins is really good as is Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus.

If you believe dragons are fiction I pity you.

There ARE REAL dragons out there … and they WILL kill you.

[The nice thing about a hippopotamus is they will run you down, crush you, bite you in half, and kill you, but they are vegetarians and will likely not eat you.]

They’ll just take a nip outta you. Nice chaps otherwise :cowboy_hat_face:

Bumping the thread. :slight_smile:

I actually made it to S+ rank in Splatoon 2 (Rainmaker mode) the other day. First time I made it so high in the ranking. It will be short-lived. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Still working on Breath of the Wild. 005_embarassed

I’m taking a break from video games. I haven’t played a video game in about four weeks (I used to play every day). I miss the days when games would come with an instruction manual, but they don’t make those anymore. Trying to play a game like Skyrim is a hassle because it’s a game that really needs an instruction manual. It’s too complex to go without it. I know there are websites that will explain things, but it’s not the same. I miss spending an hour reading instruction manuals.

Video games were a big part of my life for about fourteen years. Instruction manuals aren’t the only reason, I just feel that that is part of my life that I’m moving past. I read books a lot more, so perhaps I can try to replace games with books. I don’t know, but I feel like I’m losing a part of myself. :slightly_frowning_face:

I wanted to buy a switch and botw so bad but I just bought text books instead and if any of my roommates caught me with vg they would shame me to no end. I have a botw hoodie i love though and most of them probably dont know what it is (sheikah) but I haven’t beaten a zelda since tp.

Probably better to buy textbooks than video games. :wink: It will still be there in a few years. I always play the Zelda games through to the end eventually. Sometimes it takes a while. It was several years before finished Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. But I eventually got there. :slight_smile:

I feel that. Totally.

You gotta shape your attitude in a way that says “I’m willing to move along with it”. Otherwise, attitude makes us feel isolated and out-dated.

The manuals still exist. They’re just on the internet now! :slight_smile:

…Just like no game is released in a completed state now. There’s always 2 gb to download when you put the disc in on release-night. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I get that too.

My dad and his buddies met and played Rook at a commonly owned storage business.

Me and my buddies meet online and play “shoot 'em up” or “Warrior Nation” (as my wife condescendingly calls any RPG-type game - non-gamer she).

Playing Dragon Mania Legends…not to challenging but have met some awesome people around the world.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.