Who here likes video games? Anyone?

Pokemon Mystery dungeon is really good story wise. I loved the fifth bonus episode of Explorers of the Sky. I don’t know Gates to Infinity or Super Mystery Dungeon turned out.

Dragon Quest IX was really enjoyable. They even have priests and churches in the game. Too bad I didn’t get past the part with haunted boarding school.

I actually got bored with the Korok seeds pretty quickly. They had 900, but so many of them were repeated over and over again. It was sort of fun to see something weird or when they gave a relatively unique Korok seed, but on the whole, it just seemed like busy work. On the plus side, most Korok seeds didn’t take much time to get once you spotted them. Way too many open world games (coughUbisoftcough) require way too much time for such repetitive tasks.

I actually thought Twilight Princess was the most enjoyable world in any Zelda game. There was generally something to find, but they weren’t as in your face about everything. On my second playthrough, there were so many heart containers and other things I found compared to my first, simply because I could recognize where an item received in a later dungeon could be used. I think it did the best of the Zelda games I’ve played of bringing out that Metroid-like design.

The problem for me was more scale. Granted, they didn’t help matters a whole lot by revealing the whole thing early on and never really taking the time to make the dungeon feel expansive. A lot of past Zelda dungeons feel like mini-adventures. Breath of the Wild makes them feel more like a test chamber from Portal.

I did like the controlling the beasts aspect, though. I just wish they had made it a little clearer because I spent way longer on the Zora one than I should have. On the flip side, fighting the Zora Divine Beast was a lot of fun, easily one of my favorite Zelda fights.

Same here. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I was stuck on the Zora one for a while before I figured it out. The other three went much more quickly.

I think I have that game downloaded on the Wii U, too (I think it was a Club Nintendo reward at some point, or something). I still haven’t played it yet, though. Maybe after Breath of the Wild… I have never actually owned a portable console before (except for the Switch, which is both). So I’ve never played any of those Zelda games before.

Any other 4x devotees in here? I’ve been spending way too much time on Stellaris lately. I have robots making everyone be nice.

I have the Minish Cap with the game boy cartridge, but my DS has some buttons that don’t work. I been thinking about getting it on virtual console on the WII-U. Its hard to get all the statues and to fuse all the kinstone pieces.

All of them were pretty enjoyable, but Explorers was definitely the best in the series by a large margin. It also helps that Grovyle is one of my favorites, so having him play such a pivotal role in that game was nice to see. :slightly_smiling_face:

Gates to Infinity had the weakest story out of all of them, but was the first one in 3D and had a much better interface that the first two. Super Mystery Dungeon was the second best in the series. Although it starts out being quite childish and saccharine, midway through it actually has the best plot twists in the series, even better than Explorers despite Explorers being better overall.

Yeah I agree that the soundtrack for BotW was not as memorable as I was hoping it would be. That said, there do seem to be some nice ambient tracks. I particularly like the Lost Woods theme and the one that plays in the Zora Divine Beast before you activate any of the terminals. This kind of thing helps me stay focused while doing work :slightly_smiling_face:

Incoming! Outgoing! CRASH

I’ve played Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim. Morrowind had the best game-play experience. Oblivion wasn’t bad, but the difficulty scaling was really bad. Skyrim was all about the eye candy, and was dumbed down to absurd levels.

I tried Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine, but found the button mashing and absurd lack of tactics ultimately frustrating. The dark, dystopic, neo-gothic setting was great. The game play… was not. Venerate the immortal god emperor.

I have played the modded version of Skyrim and it seems a lot better than the vanilla version

I’m so late to this thread. Haha. Has it died already?

Anybody play Witcher 3?

Honestly it’s simultaneously the best and most disturbing game I’ve ever played.

When I feel like gaming but don’t want to think I play things like Civilization or Sir Match a Lot (big fish games).

When I just really want to explore and pursue goals while looking at pretty I play any of the Assassin’s Creed games. The first one always makes me happy because I can run around Jerusalem but the latest one is in my second favorite location: Egypt! And it is GOOOORGEOUS.

I like Fallout 4 but I tend to just build settlements. I treat it like Minecraft Apocalypse. LOL.

Skyrim, Morrowind and Oblivion are my first loves and my introduction to first person games.

My absolute JAM growing up was the Hero’s Quest (Quest for Glory) series! MAN I loved those games. i still play them now and then. They just never get old for me plus if I wait long enough I forget the solution for all the puzzles (yay bad memory!).

I honestly think I played too much as a young adult. As an adult I have a set amount of gameplay a week and I think it’s a more balanced approach. I think video games have a real capacity to become a crutch and/or time waster and obviously that’s not good. But a few hours here or there to de-stress and for mental health can only be good. :slight_smile:

Witcher 3 is ok, Ive completed whole witcher series. Overall too much nudity and paganism.
Combat animations from witcher 1 were really great and I liked that combat based on clicking mouse in right time.

The occult part is the part I’m struggling with. I know many of the creatures introduced are fictional and can be found in mythology books but it’s still kind of jarring sometimes to see them in action.

Welcome to the party. :slight_smile:

The forum transitioned to a new platform in September of last year. That change brought with it the new feature that threads automatically close after 2 weeks of inactivity. So far, this is the only thread I know of that is still going from before that transition. I aim to keep it going as long as possible. :grin:

I haven’t played any of the games you mentioned, though. I’m a Mario and Zelda kind of guy.

Haha! I love that you’re trying to keep it alive.

Mario is fun! I only like the old school version though. I have Mario 3 on my DS and Super Mario World on Super Nintendo! Haha. It was a wedding gift.

Never did play Zelda but the hype is real and I’m told repeatedly I must.

Have you heard of games called Harvest Moon and/or Rune Factory? Rune Factory is Harvest Moon but with monsters to fight. Haha. But both are crazy fun and innocent as heck. My mom is obsessed with Harvest Moon but has played it so much there’s nothing left for her. She keeps begging for a new one. Haha.

Yes, give in to the Zelda hype. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I’ve been making my way through the newest one (Breath of the Wild) for over a year now. I’m almost done. :laughing:

I’ve long heard of Harvest Moon, but never actually played it. I’m not sure why not as I’ve heard lots of good things about it over the years. I haven’t heard of Rune Factory. That’s nice your mom likes it. My parents only play Wii Party and Dr. Mario. :rofl:

Oh gosh, Harvest Moon is deceptively simple! It’s soooo addictive. I can’t even explain! Lol! You’d have to try it to understand. I was pretty skeptical my first go but after that first go I was hooked. Only reason I don’t play it now is because my mom stole my copies. ROFL!

The Smash Bros. presentation yesterday was pretty exciting! (Although I heard at least some of the new announcements were leaked, I didn’t spoil myself ahead of time.)

Indeed. Simon Belmont and King K. Rool join the party! And it indicated they were not yet done introducing new characters, nor game modes. I’m still holding out hope for a 1 player mode a la Subspace Emissary. And I would like to see a return of the Stage Creator feature. My daughter enjoyed using that in Smash Bros. Wii U. But even as it stands now, the game is going to be great.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.