Who here listened to the Catholic Answer's Live show on January 6th? (First hour)

The subject of the show is how the Catholic Church is not the Whore of Babylon mentioned in the Book of Revelation. Mark, the guest, provided very educated defenses against the claim. I found it kind of heated, especially with one of the callers who was stating that the Pope moved the Sabbath day to Sunday in the 6th century because it was convenient. :rolleyes: And with another previous caller who believes the Catholic Church was wrong because of moving the Sabbath, “changing the ten commandments,” and how the Pope’s title; which doesn’t exist (Mark even said that) equals 666. :rolleyes: How did you like the show?

I heard it and thought it was good, although I can’t say I have ever heard that being a big debate issue in my circles (I realize some people claim that, I just haven’t run across them thankfully)

[quote=awalt]I heard it and thought it was good, although I can’t say I have ever heard that being a big debate issue in my circles (I realize some people claim that, I just haven’t run across them thankfully)
[/quote]

That is one of the main arguments of your average Seventh Day Adventist. :slight_smile:

[quote=awalt]I heard it and thought it was good, although I can’t say I have ever heard that being a big debate issue in my circles (I realize some people claim that, I just haven’t run across them thankfully)
[/quote]

Me too, I’m greatful for that. Most of the time what I run across is, “it’s wrong to call priests ‘father’,” or “I don’t understand the Catholic worship of Mary.” The second one baffled me when I heard it first during my senior year of High School, it was news to me.

[quote=CollegeCatholic]That is one of the main arguments of your average Seventh Day Adventist. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Yes and I am assuming that the first caller was a SDA, and the second one; who admited he doesn’t belong to a denomination, was probably brought up in a SDA family.

[quote=Psalm45:9]The subject of the show is how the Catholic Church is not the Whore of Babylon mentioned in the Book of Revelation. Mark, the guest, provided very educated defenses against the claim. I found it kind of heated, especially with one of the callers who was stating that the Pope moved the Sabbath day to Sunday in the 6th century because it was convenient. And with another previous caller who believes the Catholic Church was wrong because of moving the Sabbath, “changing the ten commandments,” and how the Pope’s title; which doesn’t exist (Mark even said that) equals 666.
[/quote]

On your recommendation I listened to it online after we talked the other day. I wasn’t impressed with the callers you are talking about, though I was a bit surprised that Mark didn’t simply site Acts 2-:7, which plainly shows that the early church met on Sunday. So i take it as a compliment that they assert that we Catholics changed the day of worship from thr Sabbath to the day of the resurrection. 1st Corinthians 16:2 also points this out. 6th century my foot! :rotfl: Worse still, (for them) is that if they say we Catholics did it, I’ll happily wear that since it points out again that the early church was Catholic. :smiley:

That whole “whore of Babylon” allegation won’t fly anyway and you have to play pretty fast and kloose with the passages in question to make it even get close. (Me? I’m not that dumb, or that brazen.)

I also can’t stand that whole “Queen of Heaven” can’t be Mary bit because that title belonged to an idol in the OT.( Jeremiah 7:18 and 44:17-19 & 25) So what!? By that kind of thinking then Jesus can’t have the title “King of Kings” because it belonged to bad guys in the OT too! Look at these verses from the Douay-Rheims Bible.

Ezra 7:12 Artaxerxes king of kings to Esdras the priest, the most learned scribe of the law of the God of heaven, greeting.

Ezechiel 26:7 For thus saith the Lord God: Behold I will bring against Tyre Nabuchodonosor king of Babylon, the king of kings, from the north, with horses, and chariots, and horsemen, and companies, and much people.

Daniel 2:37 Thou art a king of kings: and the God of heaven hath given thee a kingdom, and strength, and power, and glory:

2nd Machabees 13:4 But the King of kings stirred up the mind of Antiochus against the sinner, and upon Lysias suggesting that he was the cause of all the evils, he commanded (as the custom is with them) that he should be apprehended and put to death in the same place.

1st Timothy 6:15 Which in his times he shall shew who is the Blessed and only Mighty, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;

Apocalypse 17:14 These shall fight with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them, because he is Lord of lords, and King of kings, and they that are with him are called, and elect, and faithful.

Apocalypse 19:16 And he hath on his garment, and on his thigh written: KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

But those folks don’t wanna hear that I don’t think. :eek:

The junk about the tile of the pope adding up to 666 is dealt with in one of Karl Keating’s e-newsletters in the CA online library and this is part of what he says:

If you know about the Seventh-Day Adventist church, you know that it traditionally has been strongly anti-Catholic, and anti-Catholicism was precisely what this full-page ad promoted. There was nothing subtle about it.

Half way through the very lengthy text, the ad identified the beast of Revelation as the Pope. “The title of the Pope reads: ‘Vicarius Filii Dei,’ that is, ‘In place of the Son of God.’”

Well, two mistakes here. “Vicarius Filii Dei” is not a title of the Pope. The proper title is “Vicarius Christi.” And “Vicarius Filii Dei” does not mean “In place of the Son of God” but “Vicar [Representative] of the Son of God.” The translation given in the ad suggests that the Pope shoves aside the Son of God and takes over his place.

In fact, the ad claims that this incorrect title means that the Pope is calling himself God. Even if this were a title of the Pope, that would not be its import, and the proper title, “Vicarius Christi” (“Vicar [Representative] of Christ”) is even further removed from such a misconstrual.

Just in case the reader does not find the bogus title sufficiently alarming, the ad goes on to note that the numerical value of the letters in “Vicarius Filii Dei” add up to 666, the number of the Beast. Quite so, but note that the title “Vicarius Christi” does not add up to 666. The Adventists turned to a similar-sounding title because they needed the right tally. It would do them no good to use a real Latin title for the Pope, if that title adds up only to 214, which is the case with “Vicarius Christi.”

LINK and a whole article HERE. .
Pax vobiscum,

Numerology is considered demonic, codes can be found everywhere, including “Moby Dick”. Catholic bashing does not hold well under scrutiny. The new book, “Revelation www. is 666” by a Catholic clearly shows w’s in ancient hebrew can be written as 666 or 616. A good read, amazon.com

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.