Who is C.H. Spurgeon

Who is C.H. Spurgeon? Some one told me he is a theologian?

[quote=josephdavid]Who is C.H. Spurgeon? Some one told me he is a theologian?
[/quote]

Spurgeon was a powerful Baptist preacher in the 19th Century. He was considered in his day to be the 19th Century equivalent of St. Paul in his compelling witness to Christ.

A Baptist saint :slight_smile:

spurgeon.org/mainpage.htm

I used to love Spurgeon and had loads of books of his sermons. The only books I have by him now are the “Treasury of David” which is about the psalms. It’s pretty good (and available on the spurgeon.org website).

He wasn’t keen on Catholicism though.

However, I have found a link to catholic.com on the Spurgeon Archive website. It is listed as ‘catholic propoganda’.

True, Spurgeon was very anti-Catholic, as most Protestants were in his day. But on the other hand, in his *Commenting and Commentaries *(a thorough and often witty survey of available Biblical commentaries) he has nice things to say about Cardinal Bellarmine’s commentary on the Psalms. I believe his words were: “The Cardinal writes as evangelically as any Reformer.” (Patronizing, true, but still impressive given the harsh level of rhetoric on both sides in the 19th century.) So he could recognize piety when he saw it–at least sometimes.

Spurgeon was not a profound theologian, but he was a great preacher and had a lot of skill with words. He was self-educated and read widely. I think he deserves the respect of all Christians, however much we might disagree with aspects of his theology.

Edwin

spurgeon.org/~phil/bookmark/cath.htm

ahahaha

Wonderful.

Well, if Phil Johnson is the executive director of “Grace to You” and editor of John MacArthur’s books, his site is extremely anti-Catholic. John MacArthur is one of the most anti-Catholic preachers on the radio and TV. There are several other threads devoted to John MacArthur’s hostile anti-Catholic opinions.

and it is sad that many of them are mislead and truly believe they are going God’s work but they aren’t. :crying:

I also have “Treasury of David” (in 3 volumes). I bought it about 30 years ago when I was in college. I used to read it sometimes, especially to read about the Psalms I liked the most.

I’m glad to see the web site link and where the “Treasury of David” is on-line.

I went through RCIA two years ago.

jmm08

Is “Treasury of David” anti-Catholic?

Charles Hadden Spurgeon was a Protestant evangelist in England during what Protestants refer to as the Great Awakening. Many thousands are believed to have put their faith in Christ as a result of his preaching. He practiced Reformed Theology.

Some interesting quotes by Spurgeon:

“If any of you should ask me for an epitome of the Christian religion, I should say that it is in one word - Prayer. Live and die without prayer, and you will pray long enough when you get to hell.”

“As sure as God puts His children in the furnace he will be in the furnace with them.”

“Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know a great deal, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.”

“Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, but only empties today of its strength.”

“Before a child reaches seven teach him all the way to heaven.”

“I had never been so close to God as when I was on a bed of pain.”

Other quotes by Spurgeon:

“Anything we do to hinder a child from coming to Jesus greatly displeases our dear Lord. He cries to us, ‘Stand off. Let them alone. Let them come to Me, and forbid them not.’”

“Ah, sinner, may the Lord quicken thee! But it is a work that makes the Saviour weep. I think when He comes to call some of you from your death in sin, He comes weeping and sighing for you. There is a stone that is to be rolled away–your bad and evil habits–and when that stone is taken away, a still small voice will not do for you; it must be the loud crashing voice, like the voice of the Lord which breaketh the cedars of Lebanon.”

“Carve your name on hearts, and not on marble.”

“Children will imitate their fathers in their vices, seldom in their repentance.”

“Conversion is not, as some suppose, a violent opening of the heart by grace, in which will, reason and judgment are all ignored or crushed. The season is not blinded, but enlightened; and the whole man is made to act with a glorious liberty which it never knew till it fell under the restraints of grace.”

“Do not others expect from children more perfect conduct than they themselves exhibit? If a gracious child should lose his temper or act wrongly in some trifling thing through forgetfulness, straightway he is condemned as a little hypocrite by those who are a long way from being perfect themselves. Jesus says, ‘Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones.’”

“Earnestness is good; it means business. But fanaticism overdoes, and is consequently reactionary.”

“Faith has a saving connection with Christ. Christ is on the shore, so to speak, holding the rope, and as we lay hold of it with the hand of our confidence, He pulls us to shore; but all good works having no connection with Christ are drifted along down the gulf of fell despair.”

“Giving is true having.”

“If a crooked stick is before you, you need not explain how crooked it is. Lay a straight one down by the side of it, and the work is well done. Preach the truth, and error will stand abashed in its presence.”

“If you have no share in the living Lord may God have mercy upon you! If you have no share in Christ’s rising from the dead then you will not be raised up in the likeness of His glorified body. If you do not attain to that resurrection from among the dead then you must abide in death.”

“Losses and crosses are heavy to bear; but when our hearts are right with God, it is wonderful how easy the yoke becomes.”

“Most of the grand truths of God have to be learned by trouble; they must be burned into us by the hot iron of affliction, otherwise we shall not truly receive them.”

“Nobody ever outgrows Scripture; the book widens and deepens with our years.”

“Our prayers are the shadows of mercy.”

“Pardon ever follows sincere repentance.”

Can you tell i’m fascinated with the quotes of great men?

Does anyone have some cool quotes from famous Catholics?

Spurgeon seems to have been a wise man. But like most people who don’t quite like the Church of Rome, they tend to mumble when they speak of her.

I really don’t think so. The focus is purely on the Psalms. My recollection was that there were many quotations from what other writers had to say about the psalms. And that it was a treasure trove of wonderful insights.

Now that I am thinking more Catholic, I an looking through the “Treasury of David”. The quotations are numerous but from such as Matthew Henry, Martin Luther, John Hull, J. R. MacDuff, John Durant, John Trapp, Thomas Dale, etc. People I haven’t heard mentioned in the Catholic Church or in Catholic books. I suspect the quotations are all Protestant (although many are 1600s, 1700s, etc.).

Probably insights that would make a Benedictine drool with delight. When I first met some Benedictine nuns at a brief retreat they hosted, I was surprised to discover that they really were Jesus-loving Christians. And frankly I think at least one or two of them was surprised to find how I also loved the Psalms and that I wasn’t so ignorant of the Psalms at all. If there are any present, I dare a Benedictine religious (nun or brother) to read about at least 20 of the Psalms from the “Treasury of David”. And I hope to personally hear from you. Did you learn anything? Are these books anti-Catholic? What can we learn from all of this – this may be beyond my ability to grasp, yet having both perspectives somewhat I may be able to have a good view.

Isn’t it really the truth. That some protestants are our “separated brethren”. How did the Church get to be so separated? That Protestants would toss out such beautiful things that remain in the Catholic Church? How is it that Protestants such as I were so indoctrinated against the Catholic Church (I even used to get materials from Jack Chick’s organization). However, since I grew up in such a good Catholic area I could not fully believe the anti-Catholic lies. I had a very interesting conversion – and I think much of it was quite necessary otherwise I could have been too much trouble for others when RCIA began.

jmm08

Spurgeon was all that the others have said. The Prince of Preachers, anti-catholic, anti anglican & anti-sacramental.
My big ‘Claim to Fame’ is that my Gr Gr Gr? grandfather went to his preachers school. Jarvis Street Baptist Church (Toronto) (- not my church) used to print one of his sermons in every issue of their “Gospel Witness” It was how we wee Baptist children grew on the strong milk of reformed baptist theology before growing up … and becoming catholic! (mind you … it did take me 47 years to mature)

Wayne
PS
I especially like the “baptist Saint” reply

:yup: LOL, same here.
The best help I could be was to clarify protestant schiboliths, and outline anti-catholic perspectives on church history and interpretation of scripture, … and sometimes help translate catholic ‘traditional theological formulations’ into ‘evangelical’.
(what was meant to be said isn’t nessessarily what is understood)

Wayne

Most definitely!

“Few people in America hate the Catholic religion,
but there are many who hate
what they mistakenly believe is the Catholic religion
—and if what they hate really were the Catholic religion,
Catholics would hate it too.”
Bishop Fulton Sheen

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament…There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves upon earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man’s heart desires.
.R.R. Tolkien

St. Augustine :
"I would not believe in the Gospel myself if the authority of the Catholic Church did not influence me to do so."
Against the letter of Mani, 5,6, 397 A.D.

“There are very few people who realize what God would make of them if they abandoned themselves into his hands, and let themselves be formed by his grace.” St Ignatius Loyola

Ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ. – St. Jerome

:shamrock2: Christ be with me, Christ within me, Christ behind me, Christ before me, Christ beside me, Christ to win me, Christ to comfort me and restore me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ in quiet, Christ in danger, Christ in hearts of all that love me, Christ in mouth of friend and stranger. – St. Patrick, The Breastplate of St. Patrick: :irish1:

Preach the Gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. – St. Francis of Assisi

Charity is certainly greater than any rule. Moreover, all rules must lead to charity. – St. Vincent de Paul

I am a Catholic. As far as possible I go to Mass every day. This is a rosary. As far as possible, I kneel down and tell these beads every day. If you reject me on account of my religion, I shall thank God that He has spared me the indignity of being your representative! – Hilaire Belloc

Do not abandon yourselves to despair. We are the Easter people and hallelujah is our song. – Pope John Paul II

“If you’re going to do a thing, you should do it thoroughly. If you’re going to be a Christian, you may as well be a Catholic.” Muriel Spark

Thank you, CM! I did not know J.R.R. Tolken was a Roman Catholic. I enjoyed reading his *The Hobbit *as a boy and later to my own sons. He and C.S. Lewis were good friends, i understand. I enjoyed reading C.S. Lewis’ seven *Chronicals of Narnia *to my sons, too. C.S. Lewis’ *Mere Christianity *is an excellent book i have also read and that i believe both Catholics and Protestants recommend.

I also enjoyed reading St. Augustine’s Confessions. I have not read anything by Jerome, but from the sound of his quote i think i might enjoy reading his works.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.