Who is God's chosen people?

I know God chose the people of Israel as His people. I know it’s not exactly that way anymore I’m just confused as to who are His people today.

Does that make sense? I want to know more about this. I don’t understand it.

“I’m just confused as to who are His people today”

All of us. :slight_smile: Thru Jesus Christ.

I think the Jews still have a special place in God’s heart. They were chosen to bring Christ to the world, though they didn’t recognize it at the time. IMHO. Thanks to them, Jesus belongs to all of us…:smiley:

God did make a Covenant with Israel – a “binding contract” with both promises of good and promises of punishment for not following Him. Jesus came to fulfill the Law (the Torah or “Bible” of the Jews) and the writings of the Prophets. Most Jews refused to accept Him, although a few thousand did so. Their promise of punishment was the destruction of Israel and the Diaspora from about 20 - 30 years after the death & resurrection of Jesus until 1948 in the 20th century. He still has a Covenant with them, and they are still the “Chosen out of the nations”, but have been disobedient. He will eventually complete the Covenant with them, bringing many to Jesus and belief in His true Messiah (according to prophecy and the Book of Revelations). However, we are ALSO the “Chosen of Christ”, His children, brothers & sisters, His disciples, and we also have His promises of both good and punishment for either following Him or rejecting or disobeying what He taught us to do.

So, the correct answer to this question is: both the Jews and the Believers and followers of Christ are the “chosen” of God, but in different ways and with different paths to follow. Jews are still the “People of the (old) Covenant” while we are the “People of the New Covenant” through Christ. By giving us His new Commandments “love one another as I have loved you” and the institution of the Eucharist at the Last Supper by which we receive His true Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity, we are bound by this New Covenant of Christ. It is up to us to follow Him and obey His New Covenant of love and Eucharist.

I’m not a theologian, but this is how I basically understand it.

The Jews are still God’s chosen people. We too are brought into the later stages of the ultimate plan (to save all mankind), but even though the Catholic Church is the one true Church, the Jews are still His chosen people. In fact, this world will not end until they return to Him.

THIS.

The Church is the New Israel. Christ did not establish a new religion, but fulfilled and opened up the Covenant that was once the exclusive province of the Jews to all, Gentile and Jew alike.

This is the traditional Christian view. The horrors of the Holocaust have made many modern Christians squeamish about proclaiming this truth, lest we be accused of Anti-Semitism. It isn’t Anti-Semitic to declare that Jews need Christ.
God wants them close to him, as he does anyone else. Does God have a plan for them? Perhaps…I don’t speculate on what that is. If they are saved, it will be despite their unbelief, not because of it. Will they accept Christ in the end? I hope so, I hope for Salvation for everybody, without exception.

The Jews, and The Church of all Believers. The Jews still have promises to be fulfilled by God and He will fulfill them in the future, after the Church age. God has a relationship with the Israelites and He has a relationship with those in Christ, the church didn’t replace Israel. Of course, this is from a certain protestant perspective.

I am not sure that the Jewish people are still “chosen.” I would think (and just guessing, spouting an ill-informed opinion) that the Body of Christ, the New Israel as said above, are God’s Chosen people.

In a related question: if God has “chosen” us, does that make us like Calvinists? Are we a pre-destined people?

I personally don’t see the difference between claiming that your race is ‘chosen’ by God and claiming that your race is special (i.e. in some way superior) to other races.
Can someone explain to me the difference?

This is the reason caste has been legally banned in India, so no one can claim that they are special on the basis of their ancestry or birth. Incidentally, Brahmins in India used to make a similar (almost exact) claim that they were special by some kind of divine ordination (they no longer say that, at least not openly).

If I wrote a book tomorrow claiming that my race is favored by the Gods would it be considered OK ?

From my perspective it has more to do with the fact that the Messiah had to have specific attributes as far as lineage was concerned and had to come from some group. The Israelites were chosen for purpose; for the glory of God, for faith, and for prophecy. Instead of them being “superior” in some sense, they were rather “necessary” for the plan and for salvation.

The way that it has been interpreted by Protestants, you’re right. It isn’t far from racism (although in this case it is saying that another race is superior to ones own… I’m not sure if there are any other examples of that happening).

If you talk to Jewish people you find their interpretation (and the traditional Christian explanation) is that they were “chosen” by God that he could reveal himself to the world through them. For the Jews this means the harsh laws, and the harsher punishments for screwing up. For Christians this means that it is through him that he granted the world a path to salvation (Christ).

The Jewish opinion is that being the “chosen people” isn’t an enviable position, and it doesn’t make them superior (except possibly morally) to anyone else.

Pretty much what Brahmins used to claim.That they had a special place in creation.

So claiming to be special on the basis of race is OK as long as it has nothing to do with skin color?

So I can write a book tomorrow and say that my race is favored by God and has been selected to glorify him and no other race can fulfill that purpose - and that would be perfectly OK?

So the Jewish race is not superior, just special? If you are special in the eyes God, it sounds like a claim of superiority.

If I say my parents treat me special and differently from all my brothers and sisters, what do you think I am saying? That I am less than my brothers and sisters? I am definitely not the same or equal.

God’s chosen people is the nation of Israel. Thus, The Church, being the New Israel, constitutes God’s chosen.

Now, that is Church teaching. However, the Jews of today would still claim to be the chosen people. More accurately, they are they “choosing” people, because our ancestor Abraham chose to follow God over the idols of his forefathers. They would argue that being “chosen” is not a mark of superiority, but one of distinction that sets them apart from the other nations.

Openmind, as others have said, the Jews were, and are, chosen for a purpose.They were, and are, chosen to serve others, not lord it over them in superiority. Read the servant passages in Isaiah (Isaiah 40-on) some of which we as Christians apply to Christ but which also apply to Israel.

:thumbsup:

Sure you could write it, but would it be true? I understand what the Brahmins were claiming was based on birth and birth alone, and the idea of somehow being higher on the ladder of reincarnation because of karma.

A Gentile could decide to follow the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and could even become a part of the “chosen people.” Further, from my understanding, it wasn’t seen as a benefit that only they reaped from being chosen, but their covenant was much more strict than the covenant of the Gentiles. The superiority wasn’t in the people, but in their God.

Again, it’s a matter of necessity; the Messiah had to come from some people group. After the Messiah comes on the scene it all changes; the lineage and law (covenant) is fulfilled and now in Christ there is no Jew nor Gentile.

That analogy is a bit off though.

If your parents were using you to reveal themselves to your siblings - through means that were not fun or ‘good’ to yourself, then you would certainly be special. I’m not sure you could consider yourself superior though.

I did not realize someone could convert to Judaism and then become one of the ‘chosen’ people. I thought to emigrate to Israel as a Jew, you need to have at least one Jewish parent or grandparent, that conversion is not enough. But I could be wrong.

Actually this is similar to Brahmin claims. In the law books, for the same crime, the punishment for Brahmins is more severe than the lower castes (no fun, like you said). That definitely made them feel more superior.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.